Salary Expectations / When to Apply

In summary, the person is a BSEE student with a decent GPA and some internship and extracurricular experience. They are researching salary expectations for MSEE graduates in the South East area and are unsure of what to expect. They plan on starting to apply for jobs after the New Year, but are currently researching companies and making contacts. The person currently working as an engineer in the South East suggests being happy with a salary of 55k-64k, unless the person had exceptional internship experience. They also mention that experience is more important than a MS degree, but having a MS can open up certain job opportunities. They advise starting to seriously apply for jobs during the last semester of school, as most companies are looking to fill positions within
bkoguy07
I was curious about my salary expectations for the South East area in Electrical Engineering.

I have my BSEE and will be finishing up my MSEE this year (May 2012).

My gpa's are decent, 3.4 and 4.0 respectively. I have had 2 internships and am the president of an honor society and am active in a few other things as well. I have done some research online for the starting MSEE salaries but couldn't find much. What should I expect/ask for? All of my BSEE friends have jobs in the SouthEast in various industries ranging from 55k-64k, so naturally I'm expecting more than that, but exactly how much is unsure.

Next, since I graduate in May '12 when would be a good time to start applying for jobs? I'm currently researching companies to see which I'm really interested in but when would be a good time to actually apply for some of the available positions? I know that new positions will definitely pop up in January 2012 or sometime next year but wouldn't mind getting a head start on the job hunting!

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Start looking now. You don't have much to lose, especially in this economy.

You can start looking now, but I wouldn't start seriously applying until after the New Year. I worked in the electronics industry for many years, and I can tell you that people simply can't afford to think that far ahead. If you send them a resume now saying that you aren't available until May, 2012, they will probably just throw it away. I would have. However, starting to research companies and make contacts for when you are ready is a good idea.

I work as an engineer in the south east as well and I think you should be happy with 55k-64k unless you had some really good internship experience (did actual engineering work). When I started ten years ago a BSEE in the area was starting at about 10k less than that.

Here is what I have found in my limited experience on the subject.

1.) Experience trumps a MS unless you have solid internship or an excellent thesis (if you went that route). In reality, a BS with 2-3 years good experience and an MS are about equal if not favoring the BS. The MS can open up some jobs the BS might not be able to get and will help once you get experience.

There are a lot of intangibles that make a good engineer that aren't necessarily tested/reflected on education. Attention to detail, persistence, troubleshooting, initiative, business acumen (unfortunately), etc.

2.) If you are good, your salary should go up pretty quick. In my first 4 years of working I had a 20% raise on merit and a 30% raise to keep me from taking another job.

As far as when. Most companies are advertising openings are looking to fill them within a few months if not immediately. I would really start hitting it the beginning of your last semester. There isn't any harm in sending stuff out now, but don't expect a lot of interest if you can't start for a year.

for your question! I understand the importance of being well-informed and prepared when it comes to salary expectations and job application timelines. It is great to hear that you have a solid academic background and relevant experience through internships and extracurricular activities. These will definitely be assets when it comes to negotiating for a salary and applying for jobs.

In terms of salary expectations, it is always best to do thorough research and gather as much information as possible. You can start by looking at industry-specific salary surveys or reaching out to professionals in the field for their insights. Keep in mind that salaries can vary based on location, company size, and specific job responsibilities. It is also important to consider the current job market and economic conditions when setting your expectations.

As for when to start applying for jobs, it is never too early to start networking and researching companies that interest you. However, the best time to apply for specific positions may vary. Some companies may have a rolling application process and may start hiring earlier, while others may have a set timeline for hiring new graduates. It is always a good idea to reach out to companies directly to inquire about their hiring timelines and processes.

In summary, my advice would be to continue researching and gathering information about salary expectations and job opportunities in the South East area for electrical engineering. It is important to be flexible and open to negotiations when it comes to salary, and to start networking and applying for jobs as early as possible. Best of luck in your job search!

Related to Salary Expectations / When to Apply

What is a reasonable salary expectation for this position?

The answer to this question depends on a variety of factors, including the specific job responsibilities, the location of the job, your level of experience, and the industry standards. It is important to research the market value for similar positions and consider your own qualifications when determining a salary expectation.

When is the best time to discuss salary expectations during the job application process?

It is generally recommended to wait until the employer brings up the topic of salary expectations. This typically happens during the later stages of the interview process, after the employer has expressed interest in hiring you. However, if the job posting specifically asks for your salary expectations, you can provide a range or state that it is negotiable.

What should I do if the job posting does not mention salary expectations?

If the job posting does not mention salary expectations, you can do some research on the industry standards and the company's financial information to get an idea of the salary range for similar positions. You can also wait until the employer brings up the topic during the interview process and then provide a reasonable range based on your research.

Should I negotiate salary before or after receiving a job offer?

It is generally recommended to wait until you receive a job offer before negotiating salary. This shows that the employer is interested in hiring you and gives you more leverage in the negotiation process. However, if the job posting specifically asks for your salary expectations, you can provide a range or state that it is negotiable.

What should I do if I am not satisfied with the salary offered?

If you are not satisfied with the salary offered, you can try negotiating for a higher salary. This can be done by providing evidence of your qualifications and the market value for similar positions. However, it is important to be realistic and consider the employer's budget. If the salary offered is still not satisfactory, you may need to reassess if the job is the right fit for you.