Sakurai's proof of the Optical Theorem

In summary: Thanks!In summary, J. J. Sakurai's book Modern Quantum Mechanics has a step in the proof for the optical theorem that escapes him. He uses the transition operator T to calculate the principle value of the integral, Pr. But he is at a loss as to what "Pr." means, and a bit of clarification would be much appreciated. Thanks for the quick reply.
vega12
Right now, I'm self-studying from J. J. Sakurai's book Modern Quantum Mechanics. In section 7.3, Optical Theorem, there is one step in the proof that he uses that escapes me. His proof involves using the transition operator T defined as:

[itex]
V \mid\psi^{(+)} \rangle = T \mid\phi \rangle \\
[/itex]

where [tex]\mid\phi \rangle[/tex] is the free particle state and [tex]\mid\psi^{(+)} \rangle[/tex] is the scattered state. In the proof for the optical theorem, he says "Now we use the well-known relation":

[itex]
\frac{1}{E - H_0 - i\epsilon} = Pr. \left( \frac{1}{E-H_0}\right) + i \pi \delta(E-H_0)
[/itex]

But I am at a loss as to what "Pr." means. I can follow the rest of the proof except for this one part, so a bit of clarification would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
That means the principle value. The equation has to be read as an equation about distribution, i.e., applied to a test function it reads (for [tex]z_0 \in \mathbb{R}[/tex])

[tex]\int_{\mathbb{R}} \mathrm{d} z \frac{f(z)}{z-z_0-\mathrm{i} 0^+} = \mathrm{P} \int_{\mathbb{R}} \frac{f(z)}{z-z_0} + \ii \pi f(z_0),[/tex]

Where the principal value of the integral is defined by

[tex]\mathrm{P} \int_{\mathbb{R}} \mathrm{d} z \frac{f(z)}{z-z_0} = \lim_{\epsilon \rightarrow 0^+} \left [\int_{-\infty}^{z_0-\epsilon} \mathrm{d} z \frac{f(z)}{z-z_0} + \int_{z_0+\epsilon}^{\infty} \mathrm{d} z \frac{f(z)}{z-z_0} \right ].[/tex]

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm still unsure how exactly I can arrive at that specific relation, but at least I now know what it means so can understand how to use it. Could you give me an idea how I would go about showing it?

Upon getting your response I decided to see if I can calculate the desired inner product without using that relation and get the same result to at least justify it. It went as follows:

[tex]
\Im \langle\mathbf{k}\mid T\mid\mathbf{k}\rangle = \Im \left[ \left( \langle\psi^{(+)}\mid - \langle\psi^{(+)}\mid V \frac{1}{E-H_0-i\epsilon}\right)V\mid\psi^{(+)}\rangle\right]
[/tex]

The first inner product is real so the imaginary part is zero. We only need to calculate the second one.

[tex]
\langle\psi^{(+)}\mid V \frac{1}{E-H_0-i\epsilon}V\mid\psi^{(+)}\rangle
[/tex]
[tex]
= \int \mathrm{d}^3 k^\prime \langle\mathbf{k}\mid T^\dag \mid \mathbf{k^\prime} \rangle \langle \mathbf{k^\prime} \mid \frac{1}{\tfrac{\hbar^2}{2m}(k^2 - k^{\prime 2} - i\epsilon)} T \mid \mathbf{k}\rangle
[/tex]
[tex]
= - \frac{2m}{\hbar^2} \int \mathrm{d}\Omega^\prime \int_0^\infty \mathrm{d}k^\prime k^{\prime 2} \frac{\left| \langle \mathbf{k^\prime}\mid T \mid \mathbf{k} \rangle \right| ^2}{k^{\prime 2} - k^2 + i\epsilon}
[/tex]
[tex]
= - \frac{m}{\hbar^2} \int \mathrm{d}\Omega^\prime \int_{-\infty}^\infty \mathrm{d}k^\prime k^{\prime 2} \frac{\left| \langle \mathbf{k^\prime}\mid T \mid \mathbf{k} \rangle \right| ^2}{(k^\prime - k e^{-\epsilon / 2 k^2})(k^\prime + k e^{-\epsilon / 2 k^2})}
[/tex]

Using residue theorem (which is where I believe the delta function comes out in the distribution method but am still shaky on that part)

[tex]
= \frac{m \pi k i}{\hbar^2} \int \mathrm{d}\Omega^\prime \left| \langle \mathbf{k^\prime}\mid T \mid \mathbf{k} \rangle \right|^2
[/tex]

All together this gives

[tex]
\Im \langle\mathbf{k}\mid T\mid\mathbf{k}\rangle = \frac{- m \pi k}{\hbar^2} \int \mathrm{d}\Omega^\prime \left| \langle \mathbf{k^\prime}\mid T \mid \mathbf{k} \rangle \right|^2
[/tex]

So yeah, at least in the end I was able to complete the steps in the proof without using that relation.

Wow, I spent quite some time searching the net and here and couldn't find that thread. My apologizes as it seems my question was answered there quite well. I was even finally able to locate the theorem on wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sokhatsky%E2%80%93Weierstrass_theorem" . It even gives a simple proof of it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Sakurai's proof of the Optical Theorem

1. What is Sakurai's proof of the Optical Theorem?

Sakurai's proof of the Optical Theorem is a mathematical proof that relates the scattering amplitude of a particle to its total cross section. It was first proposed by physicist Jun John Sakurai in 1960.

2. How does Sakurai's proof work?

Sakurai's proof uses the principles of quantum mechanics to show that the imaginary part of the forward scattering amplitude is equal to the total cross section of the scattering process. This allows for the calculation of the total cross section based on the scattering amplitude, or vice versa.

3. What is the significance of Sakurai's proof in physics?

Sakurai's proof of the Optical Theorem is significant because it provides a fundamental connection between the microscopic behavior of particles and the macroscopic properties of a material. It has been used in various fields of physics, including particle physics, nuclear physics, and condensed matter physics.

4. Are there any limitations to Sakurai's proof?

While Sakurai's proof is a powerful tool in understanding scattering processes, it does have some limitations. One limitation is that it assumes the scattering process is elastic, meaning that the particles do not interact or change during the process. It also does not take into account the effects of multiple scattering events, which can be important in some cases.

5. Has Sakurai's proof been experimentally verified?

Yes, Sakurai's proof of the Optical Theorem has been extensively tested and verified through experimental data. It has been used to accurately predict the total cross sections of various scattering processes, providing strong evidence for its validity.