Safe tortion load 2X2 square tubing

• Thread starter Robert Kisko
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Load Square
In summary, the conversation is about building a crane to load a handicap scooter onto a pickup truck. The design requires a 36 inch beam made of 2"X2"X3/16" square steel tubing that can withstand a static weight of 150 pounds and a maximum moment of 500 foot-pounds tortion at the free end. The speaker also asks if there are tables available that list the safe tortion loads of steel tubing. The expert confirms that the chosen tubing is suitable for the application and suggests looking for tables with safe tortion loads of steel tubing.
Robert Kisko
I want to build a crane to load my handicap scooter on my pickup. In my design I need a 36 inch beam, fastened at one end, free at the other. The beam will be loaded at the free end with 150 pounds of static weight, and it will also have a maximum moment of 500 foot-pounds tortion at the free end. I would like to use square steel tubing for the beam. Will
2"X2"X3/16" tubing be adequate?

Are there tables available that list the safe tortion loads of steel tubing?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Robert Kisko: Your square tube listed in post 1 appears adequate for the stated application.

Last edited:

Related to Safe tortion load 2X2 square tubing

1. What is the safe tortion load for 2X2 square tubing?

The safe tortion load for 2X2 square tubing depends on various factors such as the material, wall thickness, and length of the tubing. It is important to consult engineering tables or perform calculations to determine the specific safe tortion load for your particular tubing.

2. How do you calculate the safe tortion load for 2X2 square tubing?

The safe tortion load for 2X2 square tubing can be calculated using the torsion equation, which takes into account the material properties, cross-sectional area, and length of the tubing. This calculation can be complex and it is recommended to consult an engineer or use specialized software for accurate results.

3. Can 2X2 square tubing support heavy loads without buckling?

The ability of 2X2 square tubing to support heavy loads without buckling depends on the material, wall thickness, and length of the tubing, as well as the type of loading and support conditions. In general, thicker walls and shorter lengths will increase the load-bearing capacity of the tubing.

4. Is 2X2 square tubing suitable for structural applications?

2X2 square tubing can be suitable for structural applications depending on the specific requirements and loads. It is important to consult an engineer or follow building codes and standards to ensure the proper selection and use of 2X2 square tubing in structural applications.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when using 2X2 square tubing?

When using 2X2 square tubing, it is important to consider the safe tortion load and not exceed it to avoid failure or collapse. It is also important to properly support and brace the tubing to prevent buckling. Always follow safety guidelines and consult an engineer for any concerns or questions regarding the use of 2X2 square tubing.