Polynomial system, apparently for real champs

In summary, Didier is seeking help with a system of equations that includes constants and variables. They question whether there is a mathematical or programmatic way to solve it, and mention that finding a stable and convergent numerical solution may be difficult. They also express curiosity about the origin of the problem and suggest providing context for more clues on what type of solution is needed.
boeledi
Hi,

I have now been working for a couple of days on the following system without finding any real clue...

Could someone give me a help?
If there wouldn't be any mathematical way to solve (we never know), could someone detail me how to solve it programmatically?

In advance, many thanks

Didier

-x + y + z + 2A sin(y-z) = C
-x + y - z + 2A sin(x-z) = C
x + y - z + 2A sin(x-y) = C

where A, C are constant and A, x, y, z are not equal to 0

Mathematics news on Phys.org
that isn't a polynomial system, so you're mis-selling the question. as long as C isn't zero then the constraints that A x,y,z are not zero is unnecessary.

Are you sure the RHS of your second equation is not -C ? If it is, then your 3 equations are cyclically symmetric. If not, it's harder to solve.

In fact, I'm thinking there probably isn't an analytical solution. So you might have to solve it numerically after all.

And on top of that, it might be difficult to find a numerical solution that's stable and converges.

I'm curious where this problem comes from. Maybe some context would give a few clues on what kind of solution we're looking for.

What is a polynomial system?

A polynomial system is a set of equations that involve multiple variables and their corresponding coefficients. These equations are polynomial in nature, meaning they contain terms with one or more variables raised to a power.

How is a polynomial system solved?

Polynomial systems can be solved through various methods, such as substitution, elimination, or using matrices. These methods involve manipulating the equations to isolate and solve for the variables.

What makes a polynomial system "apparently for real champs"?

The term "real champs" is often used to describe highly skilled individuals, and in this context, it refers to the complexity and difficulty of solving a polynomial system. These systems require advanced mathematical knowledge and problem-solving skills, making them challenging and impressive to solve.

What are some real-world applications of polynomial systems?

Polynomial systems have various applications in fields such as engineering, physics, economics, and computer science. They can be used to model and solve problems involving multiple variables, such as trajectory calculations, optimization, and data analysis.

Can polynomial systems have more than one solution?

Yes, polynomial systems can have multiple solutions, and in some cases, they can have an infinite number of solutions. The number of solutions depends on the number of variables and equations in the system.