S6-7.1.79 log integral u substitution

In summary, the conversation discussed the problem of $\int_0^{\infty}{ \frac{\ln{(x)}}{1 + x^2}\,\mathrm{d}x }$ and how it can be represented in terms of the original integral. It was shown that the integral can be simplified and written in terms of the variable $u$ instead of $x$, and that the two integrals will have the same value. It was also mentioned that there is another approach to see that the integral goes to 0 by setting $x=e^{-t}$ and realizing the generated function is odd. The conversation concluded with appreciation for the help received and confidence for doing well in the upcoming class.
karush
Gold Member
MHB
$\large{7.R.79} $
$\tiny\text{UHW 242 log integral }$
https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/5717
$$\begin{align}
\displaystyle
x& = \frac{1}{u} & {u}^{2 }du&={dx }
\end{align} $$
$$I=\int_{0}^{\infty}
\frac
{\ln\left({\frac{1}{u}}\right)}
{1+\frac{1}{{u}^{2 }}}
{u}^{2}
\,du \\
Stuck🐮
$$$\tiny\text{ Surf the Nations math study group}$
🏄 🏄 🏄

Physics news on Phys.org
karush said:
$\large{7.R.79} $

$$\begin{align}
\displaystyle
\end{align} $$
$$I=\int_{0}^{\infty}
\frac
{1+\frac{1}{{u}^{2 }}}
{u}^{2}
\,du \\
Stuck🐮
🏄 🏄 🏄

You can simplify the integral more and represent it in terms of the original integral.

karush said:
$\large{7.R.79} $

$$\begin{align}
\displaystyle
\end{align} $$
$$I=\int_{0}^{\infty}
\frac
{1+\frac{1}{{u}^{2 }}}
{u}^{2}
\,du \\
Stuck🐮
🏄 🏄 🏄

If $\displaystyle \begin{align*} x = \frac{1}{u} \end{align*}$ then $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \mathrm{d}x = -\frac{1}{u^2}\,\mathrm{d}u \end{align*}$, not $\displaystyle \begin{align*} u^2\,\mathrm{d}u \end{align*}$. Now notice that if $\displaystyle \begin{align*} x \to 0^+ \end{align*}$ then $\displaystyle \begin{align*} u \to \infty \end{align*}$ and if $\displaystyle \begin{align*} x \to \infty \end{align*}$ then $\displaystyle \begin{align*} u \to 0 \end{align*}$. This gives

$\displaystyle \begin{align*} \int_0^{\infty}{ \frac{\ln{(x)}}{1 + x^2}\,\mathrm{d}x } &= \int_{\infty}^0{ \frac{\ln{\left( \frac{1}{u} \right) }}{1 + \left( \frac{1}{u} \right) ^2}\,\left( -\frac{1}{u^2} \right) \,\mathrm{d}u } \\ &= \int_0^{\infty}{ \frac{ \ln{ \left( \frac{1}{u} \right) } }{ u^2\,\left( 1 + \frac{1}{u^2} \right) } \,\mathrm{d}u } \\ &= \int_0^{\infty}{ \frac{\ln{ \left( \frac{1}{u} \right) }}{1 + u^2}\,\mathrm{d}u } \end{align*}$

Can you see a relationship between the two integrals?

Are you referring to
$$\int_b^a f(x) \ dx = -\int_a^b f(x) \ dx $$

Forget what this called nor do I know why🐮

karush said:
Are you referring to
$$\int_b^a f(x) \ dx = -\int_a^b f(x) \ dx $$

Forget what this called nor do I know why🐮

Yes I did use that rule.

Anyway, to finish off the problem, would you agree that $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \int_0^{\infty}{ \frac{\ln{\left( \frac{1}{u} \right)}}{1+u^2}\,\mathrm{d}u} \end{align*}$ will have exactly the same value as $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \int_0^{\infty}{ \frac{\ln{ \left( \frac{1}{x} \right) }}{1 + x^2}\,\mathrm{d}x } \end{align*}$? All that's happened is there is a different letter being used in the place of the variable.

So from our original equation $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \int_0^{\infty}{ \frac{\ln{(x)}}{1 + x^2}\,\mathrm{d}x } = \int_0^{\infty}{ \frac{\ln{ \left( \frac{1}{u} \right) }}{1 + u^2}\,\mathrm{d}u } \end{align*}$ we can write $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \int_0^{\infty}{ \frac{\ln{(x)}}{1 + x^2}\,\mathrm{d}x } = \int_0^{\infty}{ \frac{\ln{ \left( \frac{1}{x} \right) }}{1 + x^2}\,\mathrm{d}x } \end{align*}$.

Now since $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \ln{ \left( \frac{1}{x} \right) } = \ln{ \left( x^{-1} \right) } = -\ln{(x)} \end{align*}$ that means we have $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \int_0^{\infty}{ \frac{\ln{(x)}}{1 + x^2}\,\mathrm{d}x } = -\int_0^{\infty}{ \frac{\ln{(x)}}{1 + x^2}\,\mathrm{d}x } \end{align*}$ and so the final result should now be obvious.

There is another approach to see that the integral goes to 0. Set $x=e^{-t}$. And realize the function generated is odd.

ZaidAlyafey said:
There is another approach to see that the integral goes to 0. Set $x=e^{-t}$. And realize the function generated is odd.
I really appreciate all the help with this
the class starts August 22.
so feeling more confident I will do well
due to this forum.

Related to S6-7.1.79 log integral u substitution

What is the purpose of using u substitution in S6-7.1.79 log integral?

The purpose of using u substitution in S6-7.1.79 log integral is to simplify the integration process by replacing a complicated expression with a simpler one. This allows for easier evaluation of the integral and can also lead to a more general solution.

How do I know when to use u substitution in S6-7.1.79 log integral?

You should use u substitution in S6-7.1.79 log integral when the integrand contains a complicated expression that can be simplified by replacing it with a single variable. This is especially useful when dealing with trigonometric, exponential, or logarithmic functions.

What are the steps for using u substitution in S6-7.1.79 log integral?

The steps for using u substitution in S6-7.1.79 log integral are as follows:

1. Identify a suitable substitution by looking for a complicated expression within the integrand.
  2. Let u be the new variable and set up the substitution u = complicated expression.
  3. Replace all instances of the complicated expression in the integrand with u.
  4. Find the new limits of integration by substituting the original limits into the u equation.
  5. Evaluate the integral with the new limits and variable u.
  6. Substitute back in the original variable to get the final solution.

Can u substitution be used in all integrals?

No, u substitution cannot be used in all integrals. It is most effective when dealing with integrands that contain a complicated expression that can be simplified by replacing it with a single variable. In some cases, other integration techniques may be more appropriate.

Does u substitution change the value of the integral?

No, u substitution does not change the value of the integral. It simply transforms the integrand into a simpler form, making it easier to evaluate. As long as the substitution is done correctly and the limits of integration are adjusted accordingly, the value of the integral will remain the same.