S6-7.1.24 Integration By Parts

In summary, S6-7.1.24 asks for the integral of a function cosine with respect to the angle x. The problem can be broken down into three parts: finding the value of u, determining the value of du, and finding the value of v. The first step is to find the value of u. This is done by taking the derivative of the function cosine with respect to x, and solving for x. The second step is to find the value of du. This is done by taking the derivative of the function cosine with respect to x and solving for v. The last step is to find the value of v. This is done by taking the derivative of the function cos
karush
Gold Member
MHB
$\Large {S6-7.1.24}$
$$
\displaystyle
I=\int_{0}^{\pi} {x}^{3}\cos\left({x}\right)\,dx=12-3{\pi}^{2} \\
\begin{align}
u& = {{x}^{3}} & dv&=\cos\left({x}\right) \, dx \\
du&={3x^2} \ d{x}& v&={\sin\left({x}\right)}
\end{align} \\
$$
$$
\text{IBP} \displaystyle =uv-\int v\ du \\
\displaystyle{x}^{3}\cdot \sin\left({x}\right)
-\int \sin\left({x}\right) \cdot 3{x}^{2} \ d{x} \\
\begin{align}
u& = {{3x}^{2}} & dv&=\sin\left({x}\right) \, dx \\
du&={6x} \ d{x}& v&={-\cos\left({x}\right)}
\end{align} \\
$$
$$
\displaystyle -3{x}^{2}\cdot \cos\left({x}\right)
+6\int \cos\left({x}\right) \cdot {x} \ d{x} \\
\begin{align}
u& = {x} & dv&=\cos\left({x}\right) \, dx \\
du&={dx} \ d{x}& v&={\sin\left({x}\right)}
\end{align}
$$
$
\text{continued with this one more IBP but didn't get the answer}
$

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
This is how I would work the problem...

We are given:

\(\displaystyle I=\int_0^{\pi} x^3\cos(x)\,dx\)

Using IBP, I agree the choices should be:

\(\displaystyle u=x^3\,\therefore\,du=3x^2\,dx\)

\(\displaystyle dv=\cos(x)\,dx\,\therefore\,v=\sin(x)\)

And we have:

\(\displaystyle I=\left[x^2\sin(x)\right]_0^\pi-3\int_0^{\pi} x^2\sin(x)\,dx=-3\int_0^{\pi} x^2\sin(x)\,dx\)

Using IBP again, where:

\(\displaystyle u=x^2\,\therefore\,du=2x\,dx\)

\(\displaystyle dv=\sin(x)\,dx\,\therefore\,v=-\cos(x)\)

And we have:

\(\displaystyle I=3\left(\left[x^2\cos(x)\right]_0^{\pi}-2\int_0^{\pi} x\cos(x)\,dx\right)=-3\left(\pi^2+2\int_0^{\pi} x\cos(x)\,dx\right)\)

Using IBP again, where:

\(\displaystyle u=x\,\therefore\,du=dx\)

\(\displaystyle dv=\cos(x)\,dx\,\therefore\,v=\sin(x)\)

And we have:

\(\displaystyle I=-3\left(\pi^2+2\left(\left[x\sin(x)\right]_0^{\pi}-\int_0^{\pi} \sin(x)\,dx\right)\right)=-3\left(\pi^2-2\int_0^{\pi} \sin(x)\,dx\right)=-3\left(\pi^2+2\left[\cos(x)\right]_0^{\pi}\right)=3\left(4-\pi^2\right)=12-3\pi^2\)

thank you, I see where i went astray didn't factor correctly.
i seem to be ok with what to do i get killed with simple arithmetic.😰

so when we see a $x^n$ its a hint how many IBP we have to do

Last edited:

Related to S6-7.1.24 Integration By Parts

1. What is integration by parts?

Integration by parts is a method used in calculus to solve integrals that involve products of functions. It involves breaking down the original integral into two parts, and applying a specific formula to find the solution.

2. When should integration by parts be used?

Integration by parts is typically used when the integral involves a product of functions and other methods of integration, such as substitution or the power rule, do not work. It is also useful when the integrand contains trigonometric, logarithmic, or exponential functions.

3. How do you use integration by parts?

To use integration by parts, you must first identify the two parts of the integral, usually denoted as u and v. Then, you can apply the formula: ∫u dv = uv - ∫v du. This will reduce the original integral into a simpler form that can be solved using basic integration techniques.

4. What is the formula for integration by parts?

The formula for integration by parts is: ∫u dv = uv - ∫v du. This formula is based on the product rule from differentiation and is used to break down the original integral into two parts.

5. Are there any tips for using integration by parts?

One tip for using integration by parts is to choose u and v carefully. In general, u should be a function that becomes simpler after being differentiated, and v should be a function that becomes simpler after being integrated. It may also be helpful to use the acronym "LIATE" (Logarithmic, Inverse trigonometric, Algebraic, Trigonometric, Exponential) to help determine which function to choose as u.