S6.12.4.35 Find the volume of the parallelepiped

• MHB
  • Thread starter karush
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Volume
In summary, the volume of the parallelepiped with adjacent edges PQ, PR, and PS can be found by using the formula V=|a*(b cross c)|, where a is the direction vector of one of the edges and b and c are the direction vectors of the other two edges. The edges PQ, PR, and PS have direction vectors 2i+j+k, i-j+2k, and -2j+3k, respectively. The volume is equal to the absolute value of the dot product of the direction vector of edge PS with the cross product of the direction vectors of edges PQ and PR. The volume is 3, and when graphing the edges, they should be translated to the origin.
karush
Gold Member
MHB
$\tiny{s6.12.4.35}$

$\textrm{Find the volume of theparallelepiped with adjacent edges
$PQ, PR$, and $PS$.}$

\begin{align*}\displaystyle
P(2,0,-1),& \, Q(4,1,0), \, R(3.-1.1), S(2,-2,2)\\
\end{align*}
ok I know the problem is basically solved with

V&=\left|a\cdot(b\times c)\right|
\end{align*}

but was ? about the edges thing!

Physics news on Phys.org
karush said:
$\tiny{s6.12.4.35}$

$\textrm{Find the volume of theparallelepiped with adjacent edges
$PQ, PR$, and $PS$.}$

P(2,0,-1),& \, Q(4,1,0), \, R(3.-1.1), S(2,-2,2)\\
\end{align*}
ok I know the problem is basically solved with

V&=\left|a\cdot(b\times c)\right|
\end{align*}

but was ? about the edges thing!

All that means is that the three edges touch each other...

Prove It said:
All that means is that the three edges touch each other...

I'm trying to plot this on:

https://technology.cpm.org/general/3dgraph/

but can't see to figure it

Yes, you can't graph the edges because you don't know what the edges are!

PQ is the line segment from P(2, 0, -1) to Q(4, 1, 0). That line can be written, parametrically, as x= (4- 2)t+ 2= 2t+ 2, y= (1- 0)t+ 0= t, and z= (0- (-1))t- 1= t- 1. That way, when t= 0, x= 2, y= 0, and z= -1 and, if t= 1, x= 4, y= -1, and z= 0.

It has "direction vector", which is the "a" in your formula, (4- 2)i+ (1- 0)j+ (0-(-1))k= 2i+ j+ k.

$\vec{PQ} = 2i+j+k$

$\vec{PR} = i-j+2k$

$\vec{PS} = -2j+3k$

\(\displaystyle \vec{PQ} \times \vec{PR}=\begin{vmatrix}
i & j & k\\
2 & 1 & 1\\
1 & -1 & 2
\end{vmatrix}=3i-3j-3k\)

$|\vec{PS} \cdot (\vec{PQ} \times \vec{PR})| = |0 + 6 - 9| = 3$

graph shows edges translated to the origin ...

Related to S6.12.4.35 Find the volume of the parallelepiped

1. What is a parallelepiped?

A parallelepiped is a three-dimensional shape with six faces, each of which is a parallelogram. It is similar to a prism, but its bases are not necessarily parallel or congruent.

2. How do you find the volume of a parallelepiped?

To find the volume of a parallelepiped, you need to know the length, width, and height of the shape. Then, you can use the formula V = lwh, where V represents the volume, l represents the length, w represents the width, and h represents the height.

3. Can you provide an example of finding the volume of a parallelepiped?

Sure! Let's say we have a parallelepiped with a length of 5 cm, a width of 3 cm, and a height of 4 cm. Using the formula V = lwh, we can calculate the volume as follows: V = (5 cm)(3 cm)(4 cm) = 60 cm3. So, the volume of this parallelepiped is 60 cubic centimeters.

4. Are there any alternative methods for finding the volume of a parallelepiped?

Yes, there are a few alternative methods. One method is to use the cross product of two adjacent sides to find the area of the base of the parallelepiped, and then multiply it by the height. Another method is to divide the parallelepiped into smaller shapes (such as cubes or rectangular prisms) and add their volumes together.

5. Why is finding the volume of a parallelepiped important in science?

The volume of a parallelepiped is an important measurement in many scientific fields, such as physics, engineering, and chemistry. It is used to calculate the amount of space occupied by a solid object, which can be useful in determining its mass, density, and other properties. Additionally, understanding how to find the volume of a parallelepiped can help scientists analyze and solve complex problems involving three-dimensional shapes.