Russian made flask - who made it?

In summary: I have a well made stainless steel hip flask I just bought. Supposedly russian made with a Stalin emblem on the side. My problem is it's stamped on the bottom with the hammer and sickle and the word RUSSIA. If it was really russian would it have the word RUSSIA on the bottom instead of cyrillic or something?The flask in the image above is most likely a variant of the Red Star Guards flask. The top emblem is the same, and there is a nickel sized Lenin where the bottom one is. The construction is the same except the welds are smoothed, the cap screws off and it isn't the curved hip flask shape but oval. The stamp on the bottom
SlimSalabim
I have a well made stainless steel hip flask I just bought. Supposedly russian made with a Stalin emblem on the side. My problem is it's stamped on the bottom with the hammer and sickle and the word RUSSIA. If it was really russian would it have the word RUSSIA on the bottom instead of cyrillic or something?

Physics news on Phys.org
SlimSalabim said:
I have a well made stainless steel hip flask I just bought. Supposedly russian made with a Stalin emblem on the side. My problem is it's stamped on the bottom with the hammer and sickle and the word RUSSIA. If it was really russian would it have the word RUSSIA on the bottom instead of cyrillic or something?

You mean, not like stuff with 'MADE IN JAPAN' or 'MADE IN CHINA' on the bottom?

BTW, what is a 'Stalin Emblem'?

It has one emblem stuck on with a wreath, red star and cyrillic that is roughly 'FBAPDNR'. Above that is a small emblem with a bust of what looks like Lenin not Stalin.

On the bottom is a stamp, a round circle with a hammer and sickle in the middle and the word RUSSIA above it. I guess I am wondering why it doesn't say CCCP instead if it was really made there.

The thing is I play golf and I like to have a flask along with my cigars. I tried to buy a couple of silver flasks and had bad luck with them. I like stainless steel but chinese stainless steel is not stainless, it rusts. I don't want a flask made from chinese stainless, that's why I bought the russian one on Ebay. Except the pictures on Ebay didn't show the stamp on the bottom, I didn't see that until I got it. It was cheap so I kept it and it hasn't shown any signs of rust inside yet. It's well made of sheet steel and all welded seams, polished on the outside. My brother showed me his russian flask the other day and it's soldered, definitely looks cheap.

It was probably made in Russia for export to English speaking countries.

SlimSalabim said:
It has one emblem stuck on with a wreath, red star and cyrillic that is roughly 'FBAPDNR'. Above that is a small emblem with a bust of what looks like Lenin not Stalin.

On the bottom is a stamp, a round circle with a hammer and sickle in the middle and the word RUSSIA above it. I guess I am wondering why it doesn't say CCCP instead if it was really made there.

The thing is I play golf and I like to have a flask along with my cigars. I tried to buy a couple of silver flasks and had bad luck with them. I like stainless steel but chinese stainless steel is not stainless, it rusts. I don't want a flask made from chinese stainless, that's why I bought the russian one on Ebay. Except the pictures on Ebay didn't show the stamp on the bottom, I didn't see that until I got it. It was cheap so I kept it and it hasn't shown any signs of rust inside yet. It's well made of sheet steel and all welded seams, polished on the outside. My brother showed me his russian flask the other day and it's soldered, definitely looks cheap.

Sounds like you have a variant of the Red Star Guards flask.

Does it look something like this:

$T2eC16ZHJGwE9n)yUY-NBQffjJ4cW!~~60_57.JPG

Yes, it has the same top emblem and a nickel sized Lenin where the bottom one is. The construction is the same except the welds are smoothed, the cap screws off and it isn't the curved hip flask shape but oval.

Does that one have a stamp on the bottom or do you know it's actual origin?

Also strange that the emblem says CCCP but it says RUSSIA on the bottom.

I don't know the origin of the flask in the image above, but it is taken from the ebay link in post #2 (This link has several different flasks offered for sale or bid).

The Red Star Guards were from the Soviet Union, so it is natural that the Cyrillic abbrev. for the official name of the SU would be used.

Just like the gibe in post #3, the country of origin of most products is labeled in the Latin alphabet. This is why stuff has MADE IN JAPAN or MADE IN CHINA on it rather than a bunch of ideographs. Most labels are in English, although stuff from Mexico does occasionally bear HECHO EN MEXICO rather than MADE IN MEXICO.

Related to Russian made flask - who made it?

1. What is the history behind Russian made flasks?

Russian made flasks have been around since the 18th century. They were originally made from metal and were used for storing and carrying liquids, such as vodka, while traveling.

2. Who are the most well-known manufacturers of Russian made flasks?

The most well-known manufacturers of Russian made flasks are Zlatoust, Zlatnar, and Tula. These companies have been producing high-quality flasks for decades.

3. How are Russian made flasks different from other flasks?

Russian made flasks are known for their unique and intricate designs. They often feature hand-carved patterns and engravings, as well as colorful and detailed paintings. They are also made from high-quality materials, such as stainless steel and silver.

4. What materials are typically used in making Russian made flasks?

The most common materials used in making Russian made flasks are stainless steel, silver, and leather. These materials are known for their durability, making the flasks long-lasting and resistant to wear and tear.

5. How can I authenticate a Russian made flask?

To authenticate a Russian made flask, look for the manufacturer's stamp or signature on the flask. You can also examine the design and details of the flask, as authentic Russian made flasks are known for their intricate and unique patterns. Additionally, purchasing from a reputable seller or dealer can ensure the authenticity of the flask.