Running into a problem with a TI-89 Program.

In summary, the conversation discusses an issue with a Conic section program on a TI-89 Titanium calculator. The program can accurately find the radius of a circle for some equations, but not for others. The formula used to calculate the radius seems to be the issue, and the user suggests looking at other formulas or checking the code for any errors.
epicwinning97
Okay so recently I downloaded a Conic section program on my TI-89 Titanium. It has had several issues, which I managed to fix, but I can't fix this one. It can only sometimes find the radius of a circle. From the standard form equation 3x^2-12x+3y^2+6y-15=0 it gets the radius right, which is √10.

Now, on 2x^2-8x+2y^2+16y-4=0 it gets the radius wrong, it returns 2√17, instead of √22

From Ax^2+Bxy+C^2+Dx+Ey+F=0, where A=a, B=b, etc, their code for the radius is (-f/a+1/2*d)^2+(1/2*e)^2=r^2, which i assume they got from completing the square. Is there something wrong with this formula?

Computer science news on Phys.org
That's an interesting issue! It looks like the issue might be with the formula that they are using to calculate the radius. You're right, it looks as though they got it from completing the square. Have you tried looking at similar formulas for calculating the radius of a circle? It could be that the one they are using is not accurate for all equations. Alternatively, there could be something wrong with their implementation of the formula, so double-checking their code might be a good idea.

Related to Running into a problem with a TI-89 Program.

1. Why is my TI-89 program not working?

There could be several reasons why your program is not working. It could be due to errors in the coding, compatibility issues with your calculator's operating system, or incorrect inputs.

2. How do I fix a problem with my TI-89 program?

The first step is to identify the specific problem and its cause. Check for any errors in the code and make sure it is compatible with your calculator's operating system. You may also need to adjust your inputs or use a different program if the issue persists.

3. Can I troubleshoot a TI-89 program without programming knowledge?

While having programming knowledge can be helpful, you can still troubleshoot a TI-89 program without it. Look for any errors in the code and try adjusting your inputs or using a different program. You can also consult online resources or ask for help from someone with programming knowledge.

4. Is there a way to prevent problems with my TI-89 program?

To prevent problems with your TI-89 program, make sure to carefully check the code for errors before running it. Keep your calculator's operating system updated and use programs that are compatible with it. Also, double check your inputs to ensure they are correct.

5. How can I learn more about troubleshooting TI-89 programs?

There are many online resources available that provide tips and tutorials for troubleshooting TI-89 programs. You can also consult the user manual for your calculator or ask for help from someone with programming knowledge.