Running 12V 30 psi Pump: My Questions Answered

In summary, the pump requires 2.2 amps of current and a back-pressure of 30 psi for optimal performance. If the back-pressure is lower, the pump will only draw 1.4 amps. It may be necessary to apply 30 psi to the outlet of the pump for it to work harder and draw 2.2 amps. The type of pump, whether it has a spinning impeller or reciprocating piston, may also affect its performance.
Teachme
So I am try to run this 12V 30 pis pump and it says to run it at 2.2 amps @ 30 psi.

When I supply the pump with 12V I get a reading of 1.4 Amps so I don't really know what it means by the 2.2 Amps and the @ 30 psi means.

Can anyone tell me what this means?
Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
I think it means for a 30 psi head (back-pressure) and nominal flow rate the pump will pull 2.2 amps. If you're only seeing 1.4 amp draw it's likely because you have a back-pressure lower than 30 psi on the pump when its running.

Mech_Engineer said:
I think it means for a 30 psi head (back-pressure) and nominal flow rate the pump will pull 2.2 amps. If you're only seeing 1.4 amp draw it's likely because you have a back-pressure lower than 30 psi on the pump when its running.

Oh so I think you mean that I have to apply 30 psi to the outlet of the pump which will cause the pump to work harder and draw 2.2 amps.

Thanks

Do you know anything more about the pump? Does it have a spinning impeller or does it have reciprocating piston?

Related to Running 12V 30 psi Pump: My Questions Answered

What is a 12V 30 psi pump?

A 12V 30 psi pump is a type of pump that operates with a 12-volt power source and is capable of producing a pressure of 30 pounds per square inch.

What are the common uses for a 12V 30 psi pump?

A 12V 30 psi pump is commonly used in applications such as water circulation, irrigation, and fuel transfer in small engines or vehicles.

What are the benefits of using a 12V 30 psi pump?

Some benefits of using a 12V 30 psi pump include its compact size, portability, and ability to be powered by a 12-volt battery, making it suitable for use in remote locations or areas without access to electricity.

What factors should be considered when choosing a 12V 30 psi pump?

When choosing a 12V 30 psi pump, factors such as flow rate, pressure requirements, power source, and construction materials should be considered to ensure the pump meets the specific needs of the application.

What maintenance is required for a 12V 30 psi pump?

Regular maintenance for a 12V 30 psi pump includes cleaning, inspection of seals and connections, and checking for any wear or damage. It is also important to follow the manufacturer's instructions for proper storage and use.