Rugby Player Collision Question-

• Thread starter Spectrum47
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Collision
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving two rugby players running towards each other with one player accelerating and the other maintaining a constant speed. The problem asks for the time it takes for the players to collide, the accelerating player's speed, and the distance each player has run. The solution involves using the five equations of linear kinematics and the quadratic formula.
Spectrum47
Rugby Player Collision Question--

Homework Statement

Two rugy players are running towards each other. They are 37 m apart. If one is accelerating from rest at 0.5m/s² and the other was already moving at 3.1 m/s and maintains her speed,

a) how long before they crunch together?
b) how fast was the accelerating player going?
c) how far has each player run?

Homework Equations

In this situation: The five equations of linear kinematics

v2 = v1 + a∆t
∆d = ½(v2 + v1)∆t
∆d = v1∆t + ½a∆t²
∆d = v2∆t - ½a∆t²
v2² = v1² + 2a∆d

The Attempt at a Solution

37-d= a(d/v)²/2
37-d= a(d²/v²)/2
74-2d= a(d²/v²)...

And I trailed off from there as I was confused. Now I know you may have to isolate the displacement in this case, however I have not yet encountered a question like this before and it was not clearly explained to me beforehand. Hopefully I'll know what to do through these forums.

Physics news on Phys.org
One travels d and the other travels 37-d.

They meet at the same time, so find two equations in the two unknowns d and t.

I thought it revolved around that, thank you. I used the quadratic formula and found two roots, which was my time for both rugby players, and it went smoothly from there.

Related to Rugby Player Collision Question-

What is a rugby player collision?

A rugby player collision occurs when two or more players from opposing teams make contact with each other during a game of rugby.

What are the potential risks of rugby player collisions?

The potential risks of rugby player collisions include concussions, broken bones, muscle strains, and other injuries. These collisions can also lead to long-term health issues such as chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE).

How do rugby players prepare for collisions?

Rugby players prepare for collisions by participating in strength and conditioning training to build muscle and improve their overall physical fitness. They also learn proper tackling and contact techniques to minimize the risk of injuries.

What safety measures are in place for rugby player collisions?

Rugby organizations have implemented several safety measures to reduce the risk of injuries during collisions. These include strict rules on tackling and contact, mandatory use of protective gear, and concussion protocols that require players to be evaluated by medical professionals before returning to the game.

Can rugby player collisions be prevented?

While it is not possible to completely prevent rugby player collisions, proper training, adherence to safety protocols, and good sportsmanship can help minimize the risk of injuries. Additionally, ongoing research and development of safety equipment and techniques can also help reduce the impact of collisions on players.