Rudin's change of variables theorem

In summary, Rudin's change of variables theorem, as stated in Theorem 6.19 of Principles of Mathematical Analysis, requires the function \phi to be strictly increasing in order to ensure that it is a bijection. This condition is necessary for the proof and for the use of equation (39) in the Riemann-Stieltjes integral case. However, after Rudin proves the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus, it is possible to use the proof from the Wikipedia article to show that equation (39) holds without the condition that \phi is strictly increasing. This is because the FTC is only for the Riemann integral case and cannot be applied to the Riemann-Stieltjes integral case. Therefore,
ehrenfest
[SOLVED] Rudin's change of variables theorem

Homework Statement

Rudin's Principles of Mathematical Analysis Theorem 6.19 (for the Riemann integral case) says

Suppose \phi is a strictly increasing continuous differentiable function that maps an interval [A,B] ont [a,b]. Suppose f is Riemann integrable on [a,b]. THen

[tex]\int_a^b f(x) dx = \int_A^B f(\phi(y)) \phi'(y) dy [/tex]

I am kind of confused about why Rudin threw in the stipulation that \phi should be strictly increasing. I thought it only need to be continuously differentiable...

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Don't we also need \phi to be a bijection? (That hypothesis is there to ensure that \phi is 1-1.)

morphism said:
Don't we also need \phi to be a bijection? (That hypothesis is there to ensure that \phi is 1-1.)

A strictly increasing function is a bijection...

My point is that they don't say anything about that other places I have seen the theorem, for example, on Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Substitution_rule

What I was saying was that the hypothesis "strictly increasing" is there to ensure that \phi is 1-1 and hence a bijection (because we're also assuming that it's onto), which if I remember correctly is necessary for the way Rudin was doing things. I don't have my copy on me, but doesn't the FTC come after this theorem in baby Rudin, disallowing the use of the proof given on Wikipedia?

morphism said:
What I was saying was that the hypothesis "strictly increasing" is there to ensure that \phi is 1-1 and hence a bijection (because we're also assuming that it's onto), which if I remember correctly is necessary for the way Rudin was doing things.

My question is why is it necessary for the way Rudin is doing "things" but not necessary for the way other authors, e.g. Stewart and the person who wrote the wikipedia article, are "doing things".

morphism said:
I don't have my copy on me, but doesn't the FTC come after this theorem in baby Rudin, disallowing the use of the proof given on Wikipedia?

Yes but neither the FTC or the one theorem proved between the two uses the change of variables theorem.

The change from the Riemann-Stieltjes integral to the Riemann integral uses theorem 6.17 to go from B = phi(x) to dB = phi'(x) which requires phi be at least monotonically increasing.

Vid said:
The change from the Riemann-Stieltjes integral to the Riemann integral uses theorem 6.17 to go from B = phi(x) to dB = phi'(x) which requires phi be at least monotonically increasing.

Hmmm. So, the condition that \phi is strictly increasing is definitely necessary for the proof of theorem 6.19 and for equation (39). OK. But after Rudin proves the FTC, one can apply the proof at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Substitution_rule to show that the equation 39, (the one in my original post) holds without the condition that \phi is increasing. So, in summary, when you develop the theory rigorously like Rudin does, you need to prove the strictly increasing case before the general case, correct?

Rudin develops change of variables for the Riemann-Stieltjes integral and simply remarks the well-known Riemann change of variables is a special case. The FTC is only for the Riemann integral.

OK. But just to end my confusion forever, equation 39 (the one in my original post) IS TRUE REGARDLESS OF WHETHER WITHOUT THE CONDITION THAT \phi is strictly increasing, correct?

correct?

Vid already answered your question. The wiki proof was heavily reliant on the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus which is special to Riemann integration, and can't be used for R-S integration, so the same wiki proof can't be done in the general case, and so you must keep the monotonicity assumption for change of variable.

So, the answer to my question is yes because the equation in my post contains only Riemann integrals.

Related to Rudin's change of variables theorem

What is Rudin's change of variables theorem?

Rudin's change of variables theorem, also known as the transformation formula, is a theorem in real analysis that states the conditions under which a substitution of variables in an integral is allowed, and how the integral changes under this substitution.

What is the significance of Rudin's change of variables theorem?

Rudin's change of variables theorem is a fundamental tool in real analysis and is used to simplify and evaluate integrals in multiple variables. It allows us to transform integrals over complicated regions into simpler ones, making them easier to solve.

What are the conditions for applying Rudin's change of variables theorem?

The conditions for applying Rudin's change of variables theorem are that the transformation must be one-to-one and continuously differentiable, with a non-zero Jacobian determinant. The region of integration must also be well-behaved, such as being compact or having a smooth boundary.

Can Rudin's change of variables theorem be applied to improper integrals?

Yes, Rudin's change of variables theorem can be applied to improper integrals. However, additional conditions must be satisfied, such as the transformation being defined on the entire interval of integration and the integral being absolutely convergent.

Are there any variations of Rudin's change of variables theorem?

Yes, there are variations of Rudin's change of variables theorem, such as the general version for multiple integrals and the substitution rule for Riemann-Stieltjes integrals. There are also extensions of the theorem for more general transformations, such as those involving complex variables.