Rubik's Cube: A Favorite Puzzle Among IT Experts and Scientists

• Thread starter YoungPhysicist
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation touches on the relationship between math and Rubik's cube, and wonders if there are any speedcubers on the forum. It is mentioned that there are many pages dedicated to the math behind the cube, but those skills do not necessarily translate to solving word problems. The conversation also mentions the affinity between mathematicians and other activities such as music or chess. Finally, the speaker shares a personal anecdote about their brother-in-law who is a Rubik's cube enthusiast.
YoungPhysicist
Insights Author
Just because math has a lot to do with Rubik’s cube, I thought there might be someone on PF that is a speedcuber. I am.

Just curious.:smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
YoungPhysicist said:
Just because math has a lot to do with Rubik’s cube
It has, and a lot! E.g.: http://www.fuw.edu.pl/~konieczn/RubikCube.pdf

Unfortunately, both skills have little to do with each other. You can learn the algorithm to solve the word problem in the cube group, you can even learn to do it fast, but that won't bring you closer to the understanding of word problems in general - except maybe, that you will have an example at hand. Btw., the pdf above has 267 pages, the instruction manual for the cube has one or two, depending on the size of the pictures.

Many mathematicians are also musicians or chess players, so I suppose there is a kind of affinity; most likely the capability of using both halves of the brain. But skills in one of the fields doesn't save you practising time for the other.

Likes YoungPhysicist
YoungPhysicist said:
Just because math has a lot to do with Rubik’s cube, I thought there might be someone on PF that is a speedcuber. [...]

My favourite brother-in-law, an IT expert, adores Rubik's cube in all its forms. I would joke that he cleaned his teeth with Rubik's floss, solving the skinny puzzle with his molars. :cool:

Likes YoungPhysicist

Related to Rubik's Cube: A Favorite Puzzle Among IT Experts and Scientists

1. What is a "speedcuber"?

A speedcuber is a person who solves Rubik's Cube or other twisty puzzles as quickly as possible.

2. How fast can a speedcuber solve a Rubik's Cube?

The current world record for solving a standard 3x3 Rubik's Cube is 3.47 seconds, held by Yusheng Du of China. However, most speedcubers can solve the cube in under 20 seconds.

3. What techniques do speedcubers use to solve the cube quickly?

Speedcubers use a variety of techniques, such as the Fridrich method, Roux method, or CFOP method, to solve the cube efficiently. They also use finger tricks and algorithms to move the cube quickly and accurately.

4. Is speedcubing considered a sport?

Yes, speedcubing is recognized as a sport and is even included in some international competitions, such as the World Cube Association's World Championships.

5. Can anyone become a speedcuber?

Yes, anyone can become a speedcuber with practice and dedication. It requires learning techniques and algorithms, as well as developing finger dexterity and muscle memory. It is also important to have a good understanding of the cube's structure and how it moves.