Ruben-Chladni Plate: Combining Two Physics Experiments

• Thread starter TeTeC
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Plate
In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of combining two basic physics experiments, the Chladni plate and Ruben's tube, to create a new experiment. The proposed experiment involves constructing a thin parallelepiped with one large plate covered in small holes, and a speaker placed at the center of the other large plate. The speaker would emit sound waves through a hole in the plate, creating a standing wave. The conversation also mentions the use of three-phase speakers to manipulate the air in the tube and record frequencies for playback. The participants are unsure of the outcome and request feedback or suggestions.
TeTeC
Hello !

I'd like to make a combination of two great basic physics experiments :

1) The Chladni plate : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wio728lLOh0&feature=related

2) Ruben's tube :

I'd like to construct a thin parallelepiped (50x1000x1000 mm) with one of the large plate covered with small holes. The speaker would be placed at the center of the other large plate, and the sound would propagate through a big hole at the center of the plate.

I'm not asking for help with the construction. I'm rather wondering if this is going to work.

So, if this idea doesn't make sense to you, just tell me and give me a little explanation. ;-)

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Dont know if you are trying to do something like this its a fairly new video it has rods strung under tension and then they are plucked by a sawtooth disk driven by differet motors.

I am not really sure but the chladni plate looks to show the resonates in the plate itself not the standing air pressure wave...I could be wrong I guess you will have to go for it and see what happens.

A pic of what you had in mind would be good with just with paint or similar.

I wonder what you plate would display with something similar to this?

I am building a rubens tube with 3 phase speakers added to twist the air but not sure of what will happen until finshed.
I am currently writing the control software on 2 pc's 1 for the 3 phase output and 1 for the single phase output using win98 with quickbasic via a 8421 resistor ladder on the printer port.

The single phase output will setup the standing wave in the tube then I plan to use the 3 phase to rock the air back and fourth as it goes in the tube similar to a 3 phase motor. I plan to have the program record the frequencys and then play them back at a shorter interval.

Top view is missing the 4th speaker and so is the end view
SpeakerBoxTopView.jpg

End view
SpeakerBoxSideView.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Ruben-Chladni Plate: Combining Two Physics Experiments

1. What is a Ruben-Chladni Plate?

A Ruben-Chladni Plate is a device used in physics experiments to demonstrate the relationship between sound and vibrations. It consists of a metal plate that is covered with a thin layer of sand or salt. When the plate is vibrated, the sand or salt forms intricate patterns called Chladni figures.

2. How does a Ruben-Chladni Plate work?

The Ruben-Chladni Plate works by using sound waves to create vibrations in the metal plate. The vibrations cause the sand or salt particles to move, forming different patterns depending on the frequency of the sound waves. This demonstrates the connection between sound and vibrations.

3. What is the difference between the Ruben-Chladni Plate and the Chladni Plate?

The Ruben-Chladni Plate is a combination of two separate physics experiments: the Ruben's tube and the Chladni Plate. The Ruben's tube uses sound waves to create standing waves in a tube filled with flammable gas, while the Chladni Plate uses sound waves to create patterns in sand or salt. The Ruben-Chladni Plate combines these two experiments by using a metal plate with sand or salt on top, allowing for a visual representation of sound waves and vibrations.

4. What can the Ruben-Chladni Plate be used for?

The Ruben-Chladni Plate can be used for educational purposes in physics classrooms to demonstrate the relationship between sound and vibrations. It can also be used in scientific research to study the properties of sound waves and vibrations.

5. How can I make my own Ruben-Chladni Plate?

Making a Ruben-Chladni Plate requires some technical knowledge and equipment. You will need a metal plate, an amplifier, a speaker, a signal generator, and a material to sprinkle on the plate (such as sand or salt). Instructions for building a Ruben-Chladni Plate can be found online, but it is recommended to seek guidance from a professional or experienced individual before attempting to build one yourself.