Rubber Band Boltzmann Statistics

In summary, the conversation discusses the partition function and probability of a single link pointing to the right in a stretched rubber band system. The average values of the number of right and left pointing links are also calculated, and it is determined that as the temperature increases, the entropy increases and the average energy becomes less negative.
samjohnny

Homework Statement

Boltzmann Stats.JPG

Homework Equations

$$ Z(1) = \sum_{i=1}^{} e^{\frac{E_i}{K_bT}} $$ where ##E_i## is each of the possible energy states available to a single link (in this case the right and the left states).

$$ P=\frac{\sum_{i=1}^{} e^{\frac{E_i}{K_bT}}}{Z} $$

The Attempt at a Solution

Hi all,

For part a) I obtained ## Z(1) = 2cosh(\frac{lF}{K_bT}) ## = the partition function for a single link.

For b) the probability of a single link to point to the right is: ## P=\frac{exp[\frac{lF}{K_bT}]}{2cosh(\frac{lF}{K_bT})} ##.

And for part c), the total partition function would be ##Z=[Z(1)]^N##, where ##Z(1)## is as given in the answer for part a).

Is this all correct thus far?

For part d) however I'm unsure on how to proceed. Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks good so far. For (d), try to come up with an expression for ##\left< N_R \right>## based on your result for (b).

TSny said:
Looks good so far. For (d), try to come up with an expression for ##\left< N_R \right>## based on your result for (b).

Ah right, since we have the probability of a link pointing to the right, and we can yield the same for a link pointing to the left, we can simply compute the expectation/average value as ##\left< N_R \right> = NP_R## where ##P_R## is the result of part b). Doing the same for the ##\left< N_L \right>##, gives ##L=Nltanh(\frac{lF}{K_bT})## as required.

For part e), am I right in saying that as the temperature is increased (i.e. as the argument of tanh gets smaller), the total L decreases. And if we define the average energy as ##\left< E \right> = -LF##, then the average energy will also decrease as T increases. And since L decreases, there are more possible microstates of right/left pointing links, and so the entropy increases. Is this correct?

samjohnny said:
Ah right, since we have the probability of a link pointing to the right, and we can yield the same for a link pointing to the left, we can simply compute the expectation/average value as ##\left< N_R \right> = NP_R## where ##P_R## is the result of part b). Doing the same for the ##\left< N_L \right>##, gives ##L=Nltanh(\frac{lF}{K_bT})## as required.
Yes. Looks good.
For part e), am I right in saying that as the temperature is increased (i.e. as the argument of tanh gets smaller), the total L decreases.
Yes, heating the stretched rubber band tends to make the band contract.
And if we define the average energy as ##\left< E \right> = -LF##, then the average energy will also decrease as T increases.
##\left< E \right> = -LF## is a deduction rather than a definition. Are you sure the average energy decreases as T increases?
And since L decreases, there are more possible microstates of right/left pointing links, and so the entropy increases. Is this correct?
Yes.

TSny said:
##\left< E \right> = -LF## is a deduction rather than a definition. Are you sure the average energy decreases as T increases?

Ah right, where we use the fact that ##\left< E \right> = \left< N_R \right>E_R +\left< N_L \right>E_L ##. So, we've determined that L decreases as the stretched band is heated. So then ##LF## must also get smaller. However, the fact that there is a minus sign (##\left< E \right> = -LF##) indicate that the Energy is in fact increasing (i.e. becoming more positive). Is that it?

Yes, that's right. (Edit: Perhaps better to say that <E> becomes less negative.)

Likes samjohnny

Related to Rubber Band Boltzmann Statistics

What is Rubber Band Boltzmann Statistics?

Rubber Band Boltzmann Statistics is a theoretical model used to describe the behavior of polymer chains under certain conditions. It is based on the principles of statistical mechanics and thermodynamics.

How does Rubber Band Boltzmann Statistics work?

In this model, the polymer chains are represented as a series of interconnected rubber bands. The behavior of these rubber bands is then described using statistical mechanics equations, taking into account factors such as temperature and applied force.

What is the significance of Rubber Band Boltzmann Statistics?

This model is important because it helps us understand the behavior of polymer chains, which are essential components in many materials such as plastics, rubber, and biological molecules. It also has practical applications in industries such as materials science and biotechnology.

What are the limitations of Rubber Band Boltzmann Statistics?

One limitation of this model is that it assumes all polymer chains are ideal and do not interact with each other. In reality, there are often interactions between polymer chains that can affect their behavior. Additionally, this model does not account for the dynamics of the polymer chains, only their equilibrium state.

How is Rubber Band Boltzmann Statistics related to other statistical models?

Rubber Band Boltzmann Statistics is a specific case of the more general Flory-Huggins theory, which describes the behavior of polymer solutions. It is also related to other statistical models such as the Ising model and the lattice model, which are used to study the behavior of other types of systems.