Solve Problem: Partition Function for Magnetic Moment

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a system of N atoms with magnetic moments in the presence of a magnetic field. The goal is to calculate the induced magnetisation M using the free energy and magnetic partition function. The conversation also mentions a hint from Reif's Fundamentals of Statistical and Thermal Physics on how to calculate the probability of the magnetic moment being in a certain angle. Eventually, the problem is solved and the solution is presented.
Joe Cool
Hi,
maybe someone can help me with this problem?

Homework Statement

A system consist of N Atoms that have a magnetic moment m. The Hamiltonian in the presence of a magnetic field H is
$$\mathcal{H}(p,q) - mH \sum_{i=1}^N cos(\alpha_{i})$$
where ##\alpha_i## is the angle between the magnetic field and the atom i.

Show that the induced magnetisationt M is:
$$M=Nm\coth(\theta-\frac 1 \theta), \theta=\frac {mH}{ k_BT}$$

Homework Equations

Magnetisation ##M=-\frac {\partial F} {\partial H}##
Free energy ##F=-k_B\ln(Z)##

The Attempt at a Solution

##Z=Z_{mech}* Z_{magn}##
I don't know how to calculate the magnetic partition function.

Physics news on Phys.org
This problem I think is problem (7.14) in Reif's Fundamentals of Statistical and Thermal Physics. Reif gives a hint for the probability being around the angle ## \alpha_i ## (he calls it ## \theta ## ) : In the absence of a magnetic field, the probability that the magnetic moment is between ## \theta ## and ## \theta + d \theta ## is proportional to the differential solid angle ## d \Omega=2 \pi sin(\theta) d \theta ## covered by this ## d \theta ##, and in the presence of a magnetic field this will be weighted by the factor ## e^{-E/(kT)} ##, where ## E ## is the magnetic energy for the angle ## \theta ##.

Likes Joe Cool
Thanks a lot, now I get it :-)

Related to Solve Problem: Partition Function for Magnetic Moment

1. What is the partition function for magnetic moment?

The partition function for magnetic moment is a mathematical function that describes the statistical distribution of magnetic moments in a given system. It is used to calculate the average magnetic moment of a system at a given temperature.

2. Why is the partition function important in solving problems related to magnetic moment?

The partition function is important because it allows us to calculate the average magnetic moment of a system at a given temperature, which is essential in understanding and predicting the behavior of magnetic materials.

3. How is the partition function for magnetic moment calculated?

The partition function for magnetic moment is calculated using the Boltzmann distribution, which takes into account the energy levels and degeneracies of the system. It is expressed as the sum of all possible states of the system multiplied by their respective Boltzmann factors.

4. What factors affect the partition function for magnetic moment?

The partition function for magnetic moment is affected by several factors, including the number of energy levels, the degeneracy of those levels, and the temperature of the system. It is also influenced by external factors such as the presence of an external magnetic field.

5. How does the partition function for magnetic moment help in understanding magnetic materials?

By calculating the partition function for magnetic moment, we can determine the average magnetic moment of a system at a given temperature. This information is crucial in understanding the magnetic properties of materials, such as their susceptibility, magnetization, and phase transitions.