RPM to Pulley Question Thanks

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of converting a gasoline-powered log splitter to an electric motor. The person is considering using a 1 HP electric motor with a 3"OD drive pulley to achieve a similar outcome as the current 3600 RPM gas engine. However, it is noted that the electric motor may not have enough torque for the splitter to operate at full capacity. The conversation also mentions the use of flywheels and the potential for a slower cycle time when using the electric motor.
SUPERSPLITTER
RPM to Pulley Question Please Help Thanks!

I have a log splitter that uses a gas engine 3600 RPM the drive pulley is 1.5"OD diameter and the driven pulley is 18.25" diameter (Super Splitter is the brand name) So from what i calculated was the driven pulley weighs in at 75lbs and spins at about 295 RPM's.

Now to my question: They sell these splitters with an electric motor, So my grandfather gave me a 1 hp electric motor that rotates at 1740 RPM. If i put on a drive pulley with a 3"OD will i have basically the same outcome? I am calculation 286 RPM.

This splitter uses the weight of the flywheel to throw the ram forward. And i would like to convert to Electric because it is a lot quiter for my neighbors, they already have to hear my chainsaws screaming! Thanks Everyone!

Engineering news on Phys.org

We need to know the power rating of the gasoline engine you are replacing.
After a quick Google, all the electrically powered splitters I looked at have 1.75 HP motors, and the smallest gasoline powered models run about 3.5 HP.
You will probably need to change the drive ratio quite a bit to get sufficient torque from your 1 HP motor. The splitter will operate much slower, and almost certainly at reduced capacity (smaller logs).

The splitter that i have has ZERO hydraulics once again the brand name is Super Splitter ZERO hydraulics it uses to flywheels. They sell this SUPER SPLITTER with a 1 hp and a 1.5hp motor the cycle time is 3 seconds its not your everyday log splitter the engine it has right now is 5.5 hp but that's not the issue i am talking about the RPM's. All i need to know is will the big flywheels still be spinning the same from what i calculated.

Your calculation is in the right ball park (I have not check the numbers with my calculator). The product N*r is proportional the belt speed coming off the engine or motor pulley in either case. So 3600*1.5 is not too different from 1740*3.0; we double one factor and halve the other.

As mentioned above, the cycle time may be unsatisfactorily slow; it may take a long time to recover flywheel speed, but it should recover to almost the same level and hence same kinetic energy content.

Related to RPM to Pulley Question Thanks

What is RPM?

RPM stands for revolutions per minute, which is a measurement of how many times a pulley or other rotating object completes a full circle in one minute.

What is a pulley?

A pulley is a simple machine that consists of a wheel with a groove around its circumference and a rope or belt that runs around the groove. It is used to change the direction or magnitude of a force applied to the rope or belt.

How do I convert RPM to pulley size?

To convert RPM to pulley size, you need to know the diameter of the pulley and the RPM. Use the formula: Pulley Diameter = (RPM x 60) / (2 x pi). For example, if the RPM is 100 and the pulley diameter is 4 inches, the calculation would be: (100 x 60) / (2 x 3.14) = 955.44 inches.

What is the relationship between RPM and pulley size?

The relationship between RPM and pulley size is inverse. This means that as the RPM increases, the pulley size decreases and vice versa. This is because the faster a pulley rotates, the smaller the diameter needs to be to maintain the same speed of the object it is connected to.

What is the purpose of calculating RPM to pulley size?

Calculating RPM to pulley size is important in various applications such as engineering, mechanics, and physics. It allows us to determine the proper size and ratio of pulleys needed to transfer power and change the speed or direction of motion in a system. This is crucial for designing and building efficient and functional machines and devices.