Row reduction, Gaussian Elimination on augmented matrix

In summary: Yes. You can skip some of the steps for brevity if you are comfortable with this. For example you don't really need to write0*¼ 0*¼ 4*¼ | 8*¼You could immediately write0 0 1 | 2.And you have labelled the rows of the final matrix as x, y and z on the left side. That's wrong here. Remember your final matrix represents these equations:1.x + 1·y - 1·z = -20·x + 1·y - 1·z = -30·x + 0·y +1·z = 2Also
Rafa3D
Member warned to post homework questions in the proper forum section
Hi! Please, could you help me on how to solve the following matrix ?
I need to replace the value 3 on the third line by 0, the first column need to remain zero and 1 for the third column. I'm having a lot of difficulties with this. How would you proceed ?

1680987895171.png

Thank you for your time and help.
All best

Physics news on Phys.org
Usually you go row by row. Use the first row to knock out the first entry of the second row, then the first row to knock out the first entry of the third row, and then the second row to knock out the second entry of the third row. The first two parts are done for you in this matrix!

Office_Shredder said:
Usually you go row by row. Use the first row to knock out the first entry of the second row, then the first row to knock out the first entry of the third row, and then the second row to knock out the second entry of the third row. The first two parts are done for you in this matrix!
I m sorry, but I still don't understand :(

Why don't you start by listing out all the operations you can do.

Hi @Rafa3D. Welcome to PF.

The general rule here is that you have to show evidence of your own effort before we help. You will get guidance/steering/advice rather than answers. That being said…

Let’s use ‘R1’ as shorthand for 'row one' for example.

Q1. What would R2 be if you multiplied it by 3? Tell us what it would be.

Q2. Subtract your answer from R3 (four subtractions to do). You will get a new R3 but R1 and R2 haven’t changed. Tell us what the matrix is now.

If you answer Q1 and Q2 correctly, there’s one final step.

Note, there are many YouTube videos explaining this.

Steve4Physics said:
Hi @Rafa3D. Welcome to PF.

The general rule here is that you have to show evidence of your own effort before we help. You will get guidance/steering/advice rather than answers. That being said…

Let’s use ‘R1’ as shorthand for 'row one' for example.

Q1. What would R2 be if you multiplied it by 3? Tell us what it would be.

Q2. Subtract your answer from R3 (four subtractions to do). You will get a new R3 but R1 and R2 haven’t changed. Tell us what the matrix is now.

If you answer Q1 and Q2 correctly, there’s one final step.

Note, there are many YouTube videos explaining this.
Thank you. I think I got the idea :

1681049851166.png

Likes Steve4Physics
Rafa3D said:
Thank you. I think I got the idea :

View attachment 324667
Yes. You can skip some of the steps for brevity if you are comfortable with this. For example you don't really need to write
0*¼ 0*¼ 4*¼ | 8*¼
You could immediately write
0 0 1 | 2.

And you have labelled the rows of the final matrix as x, y and z on the left side. That's wrong here. Remember your final matrix represents these equations:
1.x + 1·y - 1·z = -2
0·x + 1·y - 1·z = -3
0·x + 0·y +1·z = 2

Also, you are allowed to swap rows, so it makes no sense to label a row as x or y or z.

1. What is row reduction and Gaussian Elimination?

Row reduction and Gaussian Elimination are two methods used in linear algebra to solve systems of linear equations. Row reduction involves transforming a matrix into its reduced row echelon form, while Gaussian Elimination involves using elementary row operations to simplify a matrix into an upper triangular form.

2. What is an augmented matrix?

An augmented matrix is a matrix that contains both the coefficients and constants of a system of linear equations. It is used in row reduction and Gaussian Elimination to simplify the process of solving systems of linear equations.

3. How do you perform row reduction on an augmented matrix?

To perform row reduction on an augmented matrix, you must use elementary row operations such as multiplying a row by a constant, swapping two rows, or adding a multiple of one row to another. The goal is to reduce the matrix to its reduced row echelon form, where the leading coefficient of each row is 1 and all other entries in the column are 0.

4. What is the purpose of Gaussian Elimination?

The purpose of Gaussian Elimination is to simplify a system of linear equations by transforming the augmented matrix into an upper triangular form. This makes it easier to solve the system of equations and find the values of the variables.

5. What are the advantages of using row reduction and Gaussian Elimination?

Row reduction and Gaussian Elimination provide a systematic and efficient way to solve systems of linear equations. They also allow for easy identification of inconsistent or dependent systems of equations. Additionally, these methods can be used to solve larger systems of equations that would be difficult to solve by hand.