Rotational velocity of a planet

In summary, the amount of "gravity" a person feels on the surface of a planet depends not only on gravity, but also on the centripetal force. A planet with higher mass and velocity can have the same effective gravity at the surface if it has a larger radius or rotational velocity. However, launching a mass into space on such a planet would still require the same amount of energy due to the balance of gravitational and centrifugal forces. The effects of rotation on launching objects into space also depend on the latitude and shape of the planet.
Taremos
I was thinking, the amount of "gravity" a person feels on the surface of a planet is not only dependent on gravity, but also the centripetal force...

For example, if Earth spun 17.04 times as fast as it does now (i.e. 1 day = 1.4 hours) then anything on the surface of the Earth would essentially be orbiting it, and would feel weightless!

Also, a planet with much more mass than Earth could have the same effective gravity at the surface if it had a larger radius or rotational velocity.

The only thing that's a little fuzzy to me is the effects this would have on actually launching things into space. A planet with higher mass and velocity with the same effective gravity on the surface would still make require much more energy to launch a mass into space, right?

Discuss.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Taremos said:
A planet with higher mass and velocity with the same effective gravity on the surface would still make require much more energy to launch a mass into space, right?
No. If the force ##F_{gravitational} - F_{centrifugal}## is the same on both planets (at some particular latitudes), than you need the same amount of energy.

Note: in this context I assume that "launching a mass into space" means just to leave the surface for a short instant (to consider a stable orbit or escaping the gravitational field entirely, we would need to work with particular values, including the size of the planet). Next, I also assume that the planet is perfectly spherical and homogeneous, so the (true) gravitational acceleration is the same everywhere on the surface (we are ignoring any effects of the rotation on the structure and shape of the planet).

Taremos said:
For example, if Earth spun 17.04 times as fast as it does now (i.e. 1 day = 1.4 hours) then anything on the surface of the Earth would essentially be orbiting it, and would feel weightless!
Only at the equator (the centrifugal force depends on latitude). As you move further toward any of the pole, the centrifugal effect would diminish and the resulting force would pull objects toward the surface. On the poles, the rotation of the planet doesn't provide any centrifugal force to counteract the gravity.

Last edited:

Related to Rotational velocity of a planet

1. What is rotational velocity of a planet?

The rotational velocity of a planet refers to the speed at which it rotates on its axis. It is typically measured in units of revolutions per hour (RPH) or kilometers per hour (km/h).

2. How is rotational velocity of a planet calculated?

The rotational velocity of a planet can be calculated by dividing the circumference of the planet by the time it takes to complete one full rotation. This calculation is also known as the angular velocity.

3. What factors affect the rotational velocity of a planet?

The rotational velocity of a planet can be affected by several factors, including the planet's mass, size, and distance from its star. The planet's atmosphere and surface composition can also play a role in its rotational velocity.

4. Why is the rotational velocity of a planet important to study?

The rotational velocity of a planet can provide valuable information about its physical characteristics, such as its shape and composition. It can also affect the planet's climate, weather patterns, and potential for hosting life.

5. How does the rotational velocity of a planet differ from its orbital velocity?

The rotational velocity of a planet refers to its rotation on its own axis, while orbital velocity refers to its speed as it orbits around its star. These two velocities can be related, but they are not the same and can vary depending on the planet's characteristics and its distance from its star.