Rotational speed of the minute hand of a watch

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between rotational speed and time to complete one revolution for a wheel turning at 3.0 rads/s. It is determined that it takes approximately 2.094 seconds to complete one revolution and the conversion from revolutions/second to seconds/revolution is explained. The conversation also briefly touches on the rotational speed of a minute hand on a clock.
blackout85
If a wheel is turning at 3.0 rads/s, the time it takes to complete one revolution is about:

3.0 rads/s X 1 revolution/6.28 rads = .477 revolutions/s
now do I just times by 60s to cancel the seconds out to get 1 revolution.

The rotational speed of the minute hand of a watch is:

w= anglular displacement/ time
w=2pi radian in a circle/ 3600 seconds in one rotation --> pi/1800 rad/s
is that right?

Physics news on Phys.org
blackout85 said:
If a wheel is turning at 3.0 rads/s, the time it takes to complete one revolution is about:

3.0 rads/s X 1 revolution/6.28 rads = .477 revolutions/s
now do I just times by 60s to cancel the seconds out to get 1 revolution.
No, that would give the number of revolutions in 60 seconds. How do you think you can get an answer in seconds/revolution?

blackout85 said:
The rotational speed of the minute hand of a watch is:

w= anglular displacement/ time
w=2pi radian in a circle/ 3600 seconds in one rotation --> pi/1800 rad/s
is that right?
How many seconds in a minute?

For the first problem I just want the answer in seconds, not seconds/revolutions

I put 3600 seconds because it is the amount of time for the minute hand to make one full revolution around the clock

blackout85 said:
For the first problem I just want the answer in seconds, not seconds/revolutions
Understood. If the wheel makes 0.477 revolutions in 1 second, then the time it takes to make 1 rev is 1/0.477 = 2.094 seconds. You need to take the inverse of the speed (that gives sec/rev) and multiply by the number of revolutions (in this case 1).
blackout85 said:
I put 3600 seconds because it is the amount of time for the minute hand to make one full revolution around the clock
Oops, that's my mistake! :blushing: Your answer is correct.

Related to Rotational speed of the minute hand of a watch

What is the rotational speed of the minute hand?

The rotational speed of the minute hand of a watch is typically one revolution every 60 minutes, or one full rotation per hour.

Is the rotational speed of the minute hand constant?

No, the rotational speed of the minute hand can vary depending on the type of watch and its mechanism. Some watches may have a slightly faster or slower rotational speed.

How does the rotational speed of the minute hand affect the timekeeping of the watch?

The rotational speed of the minute hand is crucial in keeping accurate time on a watch. If the rotational speed is too fast or too slow, the time displayed on the watch may be inaccurate.

Can the rotational speed of the minute hand be adjusted?

Yes, the rotational speed of the minute hand can be adjusted by a watchmaker or by using the adjustment mechanism on the watch. This is important in maintaining the accuracy of the watch.

What factors can affect the rotational speed of the minute hand?

The main factor that affects the rotational speed of the minute hand is the mechanism of the watch. Other factors can include the level of lubrication, the temperature, and the age of the watch.