Rotational Physics: Stopping a Wheel in .3 sec

In summary: Accel)t, where ω is the angular velocity of the wheel, and t is the time in seconds. So, it will take about 3.075 seconds to bring the wheel to a complete stop.
icetea07

Homework Statement

A kid turns his bike upside down and spins the tire at 2 revolutions per second. The spoked wheel measures 26 inches in diameter and weighs 5 lbs. The kid presses a piece of metal against the rubber tire to bring it to a halt. About how long will it take to bring the wheel to a halt if the kid presses with a force of 10 lbs?

Homework Equations

I=1/2 MR^2 ƩT = I(angular accel)

The Attempt at a Solution

I=1/2*5*13^2 = 422.5

ƩF=ma
422.5=10a
a=42.25

ω=ω+(angular Accel)t
0=12.567+42.25t
t=.3 sec

Physics news on Phys.org
hi icetea07! welcome to pf! :smile:
icetea07 said:
I=1/2 MR^2

nooo :wink:

icetea07 said:

Homework Statement

A kid turns his bike upside down and spins the tire at 2 revolutions per second. The spoked wheel measures 26 inches in diameter and weighs 5 lbs. The kid presses a piece of metal against the rubber tire to bring it to a halt. About how long will it take to bring the wheel to a halt if the kid presses with a force of 10 lbs?

Homework Equations

I=1/2 MR^2 ƩT = I(angular accel)

The Attempt at a Solution

I=1/2*5*13^2 = 422.5
First, that is not the correct formula for the mass moment of inertia of a bike wheel, where most of its mass is concemntrated at the rim. You must look that up. Now secondly, I see you may not be familiar with imperial units of measure as most commonly used in the USA. Just as in SI you would have to divide the weight in Newtons by the acceleration of gravity (9.8 m/sec^2) to get its mass in kilograms, here you must here divide the weight in pounds by the acceleration of gravity (32.2 ft/sec^2) to get its mass in slugs. And the radius of the wheel should be measured in feet, not inches, for unit consistency.
ƩF=ma
422.5=10a
a=42.25
What is this? Your formula is T = Iα, where α is the angular acceleration you are trying to find, for I you can calculate it with the corrections noted, and now, what is the torque? Note that you will need to know the coefficient of friction between metal and rubber.

Related to Rotational Physics: Stopping a Wheel in .3 sec

1. How does rotational inertia affect the stopping of a wheel in .3 seconds?

Rotational inertia, also known as moment of inertia, is a measure of an object's resistance to change in its rotational motion. In the case of stopping a wheel in .3 seconds, a larger moment of inertia would require more force or torque to stop the wheel compared to a smaller moment of inertia.

2. What factors influence the stopping time of a wheel?

The stopping time of a wheel is influenced by several factors including the initial angular velocity of the wheel, the moment of inertia of the wheel, and the amount of friction between the wheel and the surface it is rolling on.

3. How does friction impact the stopping of a wheel?

Friction plays a significant role in the stopping of a wheel. When a force is applied to stop the wheel, friction acts in the opposite direction, creating a torque that slows down the wheel's rotation. The amount of friction between the wheel and the surface it is rolling on can affect the stopping time of the wheel.

4. Is it possible to stop a wheel in less than .3 seconds?

It is possible to stop a wheel in less than .3 seconds, depending on the initial angular velocity and the amount of force or torque applied. However, it may require a significant amount of force to stop the wheel in such a short amount of time.

5. How does the shape of a wheel affect its stopping time?

The shape of a wheel can affect its stopping time through its moment of inertia. A wheel with a larger diameter will have a larger moment of inertia, which will require more force or torque to stop compared to a wheel with a smaller diameter. Additionally, the distribution of mass in the wheel can also affect its moment of inertia and thus, its stopping time.