Rotational Motion: Solving Baseball Throw Homework

In summary: So you need to think some more about how to calculate the number of turns. You need to link the tangential velocity to the angular velocity. Then, if you assume the angular acceleration is constant, you can use the SUVAT equations to figure out how long it takes for the ball to accelerate through the required number of radians. Finally, use the relationship between tangential and angular velocity to calculate the number of turns.In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a baseball being thrown at 85 mph and with a spin rate of 125 rpm. The distance between the pitcher's release point and the catcher's glove is given as 60.5 feet. The goal is to find the number of full turns the ball makes
Cait602

Homework Statement

A baseball is thrown at 85 mph and is thrown with a spin rate of 125 rpm. The distance between the pitchers point of release and the catcher’s glove is 60.5 feet. How many full turns does the ball make between release and catch?

Homework Equations

Vf^2=V0^2+2a(Δ x)
X= V0t+1/2at^2
ω=ω0+αt
ΔΘ=ω0t+1/2αt^2

3. The Attempt at a Solution

I converted.. 60.5 ft (1m/ 3.280 ft)= 18.45 meters

85 mph (1609.34 meters/1 mile)(1 hour/3600 s= 38 m/s

125 rev/min(2pi/1 rev)(1 min/ 60 s) =13.08 rad/s

I think we would have to use the velocity and distance to find the acceleration and then the time...

So, I used..

Vf^2=V0^2+2a(Δ x), I assumed I had to set the initial velocity to 0 because the ball would be at rest prior to being thrown..and so the initial angular velocity to 0 also..

38 m/s= 0 + 2a(18.45)

A= 1.03 m/s^2

Then..

X= V0t+1/2at^2

18.5 m= 0+1/2(1.03)(t^2)

T=5.99 s

But, I think something is most definitely wrong within that. Because then when I plug the time into..

ω=ω0+αt
13.09rad/s=α(5.99s)
α=2.19rad/s^s

ΔΘ=ω0t+1/2αt^2
=1/2(2.19rad/s^2)(5.99s)^2
ΔΘ=39.29 rads=6.25 revolutions, which is not the answer.

I'm not sure if I did the entire thing wrong or where it went south.. or if I'm complicating the problem too much. But, I don't know how else to solve for this without finding the linear acceleration and then for time, then using it for rotational motion..

Physics news on Phys.org
Cait602 said:

Homework Statement

A baseball is thrown at 85 mph and is thrown with a spin rate of 125 rpm. The distance between the pitchers point of release and the catcher’s glove is 60.5 feet. How many full turns does the ball make between release and catch?

Homework Equations

Vf^2=V0^2+2a(Δ x)
X= V0t+1/2at^2
ω=ω0+αt
ΔΘ=ω0t+1/2αt^2

3. The Attempt at a Solution

I converted.. 60.5 ft (1m/ 3.280 ft)= 18.45 meters

85 mph (1609.34 meters/1 mile)(1 hour/3600 s= 38 m/s

125 rev/min(2pi/1 rev)(1 min/ 60 s) =13.08 rad/s

I think we would have to use the velocity and distance to find the acceleration and then the time...

So, I used..

Vf^2=V0^2+2a(Δ x), I assumed I had to set the initial velocity to 0 because the ball would be at rest prior to being thrown..and so the initial angular velocity to 0 also..

38 m/s= 0 + 2a(18.45)

A= 1.03 m/s^2

Then..

X= V0t+1/2at^2

18.5 m= 0+1/2(1.03)(t^2)

T=5.99 s

But, I think something is most definitely wrong within that. Because then when I plug the time into..

ω=ω0+αt
13.09rad/s=α(5.99s)
α=2.19rad/s^s

ΔΘ=ω0t+1/2αt^2
=1/2(2.19rad/s^2)(5.99s)^2
ΔΘ=39.29 rads=6.25 revolutions, which is not the answer.

I'm not sure if I did the entire thing wrong or where it went south.. or if I'm complicating the problem too much. But, I don't know how else to solve for this without finding the linear acceleration and then for time, then using it for rotational motion..

You've made this calculation waaaay more complicated than it should be.

When the baseball leaves the pitcher's hand, it has already been accelerated due to the pitcher's throwing motion. Therefore, neglecting air resistance, the ball's velocity is constant while it travels to the batter.

If the ball took 6 sec. to reach the batter from the pitcher, the batter could step out for a cup of coffee and get back in time to take his swing.

You aren't given enough information to figure out the angular acceleration of the baseball after it leaves the pitcher's hand, so I would treat the spin rate as a constant, too.

And why is everyone afraid to do simple calculations without converting everything to metric units first?

To add to SteamKing's remarks, the SUVAT equations are only valid for constant acceleration. From commencement of throw to the ball's being caught would certainly not be constant acceleration.

What is rotational motion?

Rotational motion is the movement of an object in a circular path around a fixed point, also known as the axis of rotation. It involves the rotation of an object about its center of mass.

How is rotational motion related to baseball throws?

In baseball, the pitcher throws the ball in a circular motion, causing it to rotate about its center of mass. This rotational motion is what gives the ball its trajectory and allows it to curve or spin as it travels towards the batter.

How can rotational motion be calculated in a baseball throw?

To calculate rotational motion in a baseball throw, factors such as the speed and angle of the throw, as well as the mass and moment of inertia of the ball, must be taken into account. These variables can then be plugged into equations such as the torque equation and the angular momentum equation to determine the rotational motion of the ball.

What are some real-world applications of understanding rotational motion in baseball throws?

Understanding rotational motion in baseball throws can help pitchers improve their accuracy and speed, as well as give coaches and teams insight into the performance of their players. It can also be applied in other sports such as football, where quarterbacks throw the ball in a similar rotational motion.

How can rotational motion in baseball throws be used in scientific research?

The study of rotational motion in baseball throws can provide valuable insights into the biomechanics of human movement and can be used to improve techniques and prevent injuries in athletes. It can also be applied to other areas of physics, such as fluid dynamics, to better understand the flight of the ball through the air.