Rotational Energy and Linear Momentum Problem

In summary, the ball must be shot at point P at a speed of approximately 1.67 m/s in order to land at a distance of 3.5 cm from the right edge of the plateau.
Arixal

Homework Statement

In the figure here, a small, solid, uniform ball is to be shot from point P so that it rolls smoothly along a horizontal path, up along a ramp, and onto a plateau. Then it leaves the plateau horizontally to land on a game board, at a horizontal distance d from the right edge of the plateau. The vertical heights are h1 = 4.5 cm and h2 = 1.00 cm. With what speed must the ball be shot at point P for it to land at d = 3.5 cm?

fLI4qPI.jpg

Homework Equations

E'=E
Translational KE = mv^2/2
Rotational KE = Iω^2/2
y = y0 + v0T + aT^2/2

The Attempt at a Solution

(0.5)mv0^2 = (0.5)mv'^2 + mgh1
Which simplifies to v0 = sqrt(2gh1 + v'^2) (1)

To find v': d = v'T => v' = d/T
To find T: h2 = (0.5)gT^2 => T = sqrt(2h2/2)

So, v' = d/sqrt(2h2/2) which is approximately 0.77 m/s.

Plugging this into (1) v0 = 1.217 m/s.

However, this is not the right answer.

So, I then attempted it again this time taking into account that the moment of inertia of a solid sphere is (2/5)mR^2.

(0.5)(2/5)(mR^2)ω0^2 = (0.5)(2/5)(mR^2)ω'^2 + mgh1

v = rω
(1/5)(mR^2)v0^2/R^2 = (1/5)(mR^2)v'^2/R^2 + mgh1
v0^2 = v'^2 + 5gh1
v0 = sqrt(v'^2 + 5gh1)

Then v' is the same in this attempt as the previous, so v0 = 1.67 m/s.
However, this is also not the right answer.

It appears there is not enough information to take into account energy lost to friction so I'm assuming that's negligible. So, I'm at a loss.

Physics news on Phys.org
You also have to take into account the linear energy at P.
[tex]K_P=\frac{1}{2}mv_i^2 + \frac{1}{2}I\omega_i^2 [/tex]
Also at the top, consider the energies for gravity, movement, and rotation.
[tex]mgh_1+\frac{1}{2}mv_2^2+\frac{1}{2}I\omega_2^2[/tex]
When the ball then falls, It must have a final energy greater than [itex]mgh_2[/itex] (so it could be rolling along and make it a distance d away, not just survive the fall.) You have already shown that you know I for a sphere to be [itex]\frac{2}{5}mr^2[/itex], and [itex]\omega[/itex] can be calculated as [itex]v/r[/itex].
When you put the equations together you will be able to calculate the correct answer.

Oh shoot, that's obvious. I don't know why when I remembered to take into account rotational kinetic energy I dropped off translational kinetic energy.

Thank you.

Related to Rotational Energy and Linear Momentum Problem

1. What is rotational energy and linear momentum?

Rotational energy is the energy associated with the rotation of an object. It is dependent on the object's moment of inertia and angular velocity. Linear momentum is the product of an object's mass and its velocity. It describes the motion of an object in a straight line.

2. How are rotational energy and linear momentum related?

Rotational energy and linear momentum are related through the concept of conservation of angular momentum. This means that the total angular momentum of a system remains constant, even if the system experiences external forces. Therefore, as an object's rotational energy changes, its linear momentum will also change to maintain a constant angular momentum.

3. What are some real-life examples of rotational energy and linear momentum?

Some examples of rotational energy include a spinning top, a swinging pendulum, and a rotating fan. Linear momentum can be seen in a moving car, a flying airplane, and a thrown ball.

4. How do we calculate rotational energy and linear momentum?

Rotational energy can be calculated using the formula E = 1/2 Iω², where I is the moment of inertia and ω is the angular velocity. Linear momentum can be calculated using the formula p = mv, where m is the mass and v is the velocity.

5. How does rotational energy and linear momentum affect the stability of objects?

Rotational energy and linear momentum play a crucial role in determining the stability of an object. Objects with a higher rotational energy and linear momentum tend to be less stable and more likely to tip over. This is why it is important to consider these factors when designing structures or machines.