Rotational motion & Incline Plane

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of a solid object moving upwards on an incline plane without any external forces other than its own weight and friction. While some suggest it is impossible due to conservation of energy and momentum, others propose examples such as an unbalanced wheel or a car being driven up the incline. Ultimately, it is determined that the object can move upwards by utilizing gravitational energy and converting it into kinetic energy.
wilvar
Hello everybody. I have a rather strange question regarding the rotational motion of a solid object across an incline plane. I wonder if it is possible for a solid object to move upwards the plane without the application of any external force, other than its own weight and the friction with the plane. It goes without saying that the object is not thrown across the plane. We just leave it at some point and instead of going downwards as it should this moves upwards. If anyone has any ideas on the subject i would like to hear them. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
wilvar said:
Hello everybody. I have a rather strange question regarding the rotational motion of a solid object across an incline plane. I wonder if it is possible for a solid object to move upwards the plane without the application of any external force, other than its own weight and the friction with the plane. It goes without saying that the object is not thrown across the plane. We just leave it at some point and instead of going downwards as it should this moves upwards. If anyone has any ideas on the subject i would like to hear them. Thank you.
No, it is impossible; it would violate conservation of energy and momentum at the very least.

P.S. Are you being serious?

P.P.S. Welcome to the forums.

Last edited:
It seems plausible to me. There is no conservation of momentum when you have an external friction force Hoot.

An orbital sander will dance across the floor if you turn it on and just leave it there.

Last edited:
Okay, momentum was bad idea, but seriously cyrus, can you see this happening?

wilvar said:
regarding the rotational motion of a solid object across an incline plane. I wonder if it is possible for a solid object to move upwards the plane without the application of any external force, other than its own weight and the friction with the plane. [..] We just leave it at some point and instead of going downwards as it should this moves upwards.

Hootenanny said:
No, it is impossible

:biggrin: How about an unbalanced wheel? If placed so, then it will roll such that it moves a short distance up the incline.

Heck, an ordinary car can be driven up an incline with no external force other than it's own weight and the friction with the ground.

Tape a weight to the inner side of a tin can, now place the can on the inclined plane so the weight is biased to the upper side of the inclined plane. The can will roll up the slope.

Integral said:
Tape a weight to the inner side of a tin can, now place the can on the inclined plane so the weight is biased to the upper side of the inclined plane. The can will roll up the slope.

Ladies and gentleman, we have a winner :biggrin:. That was a good one!

Even when I see it, I say noooooooo that can't be right. It looks so unnatural. :smile:

Last edited:
That's right. It has to do with the position of the CM of the body. As far as momentum and energy conservation laws, none of them are violated since this is not an isolated system and since the CM is higher than normal we have gravitational energy converting to kinetic. Thank you.

I stand corrected :redface:

It can be done. I've seen it in an ad of Chevrolet :D. If a weight is suspended inside the wheel as 'Integral' suggested and if the final state that after rolling up has a lower net energy than the wheel with weight in the first state then it would move up ti minimize its energy.

Related to Rotational motion & Incline Plane

1. What is rotational motion?

Rotational motion is the movement of an object around an axis or center point. It involves the rotation of an object about a fixed point, rather than a straight line.

2. How does rotational motion differ from linear motion?

Linear motion involves movement in a straight line, while rotational motion involves movement around a fixed point. In linear motion, an object's position changes with respect to time, while in rotational motion, an object's orientation changes with respect to time.

3. What is an incline plane?

An incline plane, also known as a ramp, is a flat surface that is inclined at an angle to the ground. It is used to make it easier to move objects from one level to another by reducing the amount of force needed to lift them vertically.

4. How does an incline plane affect rotational motion?

When an object is placed on an incline plane, it will experience both rotational and linear motion. The incline plane changes the direction of the force of gravity acting on the object, causing it to rotate around its center of mass as it moves down the incline.

5. What factors affect the rotational motion of an object on an incline plane?

The rotational motion of an object on an incline plane is affected by the angle of the incline, the mass of the object, the force of gravity, and the coefficient of friction between the object and the incline plane. These factors determine the speed and direction of the object's rotation as it moves down the incline.