Rotational Motion Around Two Cylinders

In summary, two cylinders with different diameters and masses are fastened together with ropes. The smaller cylinder has a diameter of 10 cm and a mass of 5.0 kg, while the larger cylinder has a diameter of 20 cm and a mass of 20 kg. The question asks for the angular acceleration of the cylinders, assuming a frictionless axle. The answer is 3.5 rad/s2. The solution involves calculating the net torque caused by the hanging masses and dividing it by the total inertia of the cylinders, using the equation α=τ/I. However, the attempt at a solution resulted in a negative answer and the person is seeking clarification on their approach.
lila.haj

Homework Statement

The ropes in the figure are each wrapped around a cylinder, and the two cylinders are fastened together. The smaller cylinder has a diameter of 10 cm and a mass of 5.0 kg; the larger cylinder has a diameter of 20 cm and a mass of 20 kg. What is the angular acceleration of the cylinders? Assume that the cylinders turn on a frictionless axle. I know the answer is 3.5 rad/s2.

Figure: http://session.masteringphysics.com/problemAsset/1176936/5/P7-59.jpg

Homework Equations

[itex]\alpha[/itex]=τ/I
τ=rF
I=1/2*M*R2

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried calculating the net torque of the cylinders caused by the hanging masses. I then divided the net torque by the total inertia on the cylinders using the first equation listed above.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
When I did this, however, I actually got a negative answer. Can someone please explain where I am going wrong or how I should approach this problem?

Related to Rotational Motion Around Two Cylinders

1. What is rotational motion around two cylinders?

Rotational motion around two cylinders is a type of motion where an object rotates around two parallel cylinders, causing it to move in a circular path.

2. How is rotational motion around two cylinders different from other types of motion?

Rotational motion around two cylinders is different from other types of motion because it involves the rotation of an object around two fixed points, rather than a single fixed point or a linear path.

3. What are some real-life examples of rotational motion around two cylinders?

Some real-life examples of rotational motion around two cylinders include a bicycle wheel rotating around its axel, a car tire rotating around its axel, or a Ferris wheel rotating around its central axis.

4. What factors affect the speed of rotational motion around two cylinders?

The speed of rotational motion around two cylinders can be affected by the radius of the cylinders, the mass of the object, and the amount of force applied to the object.

5. What is the relationship between rotational motion around two cylinders and angular momentum?

Rotational motion around two cylinders is directly related to angular momentum, as the faster an object rotates around the cylinders, the greater its angular momentum will be.