Rotational Mechanics (Conveyor belt)

In summary, the belt moves a distance of 15 meters over 15 seconds and the required power to accelerate the pulley wheel is 75.4 watts.
paul9619

Homework Statement

A 0.4m diameter, 50KG, solid pulley wheel is used to derive a conveyor belt system on a production line. The belt is very light and it's mass can be taken as zero. The pulley wheel is accelerated from rest at 2 rads/s^2 for 3 secs, then rotated at a constant velocity for a further 10 secs, before being decelerated uniformly back to rest in 2 secs.

1) How far does the belt move during the whole 15 secs?
2) What power is required to accelerate the pulley wheel during the acceleration phase (i.e) during initial 3 secs.

Homework Equations

(a) w(angular velocity) = Wo (Intial angular velocity) + & (angular acceleration) x t (time)
(b) @(Pheta) = Wo x t + 1/2&t^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I split the calculations into 3 parts Part A - initial acceleration phase (3 secs). Part B - Constant velocity phase (10 secs). Part C - deacceleration phase.

For part A I used the formula (a) to work out the angular velocity at 6 rads/s. I then used formula (b) to find the angular displacement of 9 rads.

For part B I used the formula (b) to work out the angular displacement as 60 rads. (no acceleration just an intial velocity)

For part C I rearranged formula (a) to find the angular deceleration which was -3 rad/s^2. i then put this value into formula (b) to get 6 rads.

I then added up all the angular displacements to give me 9+60+6 = 75 rads. I then converted this to revolutions, so 75/2Pi to give 11.94. The distance traveled is then the circumference of the wheel (Pi x d) multiplied by the revolutions which I worked out at 15 meters. Thats my answer for question 1.

For question 2 I am now a little confused. I have done it this way.

using the following formulas

Radius of Gyration (k) = 0.707 x radius = 0.707 x 0.2 = 0.1414
Moment if Inertia (J) = mk^2 = 50KG x (0.1414)^2 = 0.999698

I have Torque = J x angular acceleration = 0.999698 x 2 rads/s^2 = 2 N/m

Power = Torque x angular velocity = 2N/m x 6 rads/s = 12 watts.

Now I also have a companion who has attempted this question and he tried it this way:

KE rot = 1/2Jw^2= 17.99 Joules.

He says Torque = KErot/angular displacement = 18/9 = 2 N/m

The power = Torque x speed = 2 x (6 x 2Pi) = 75.4 watts

I am confused as to what the actual answer should be for part 2. Any pointers would be much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
paul9619 said:
I am confused as to what the actual answer should be for part 2. Any pointers would be much appreciated.

The angular velocity is not constant. The instantaneous power is changing during the acceleration phase. You cannot use torque times final velocity to find the average power. The average power is the total work done on the wheel divided by the time interval it takes to do the work. The work done is the change in kinetic energy of the wheel.

I would first like to commend your thorough and organized approach to solving this problem. It is clear that you have a good understanding of rotational mechanics and have applied the appropriate equations to solve for the displacement and power requirements.

In regards to your question about the discrepancy in the power calculation, it is important to note that both methods are valid and will give slightly different answers due to the different assumptions and calculations used. Your method assumes that the torque is constant throughout the acceleration phase, while your companion's method takes into account the change in angular velocity and displacement over time.

To determine which method is more accurate, we would need to know more about the specifics of the system, such as the mass distribution of the pulley wheel and the exact shape of the conveyor belt. In general, it is always good practice to double check your calculations and assumptions to ensure the accuracy of your results.

Overall, your approach to solving this problem shows a strong understanding of rotational mechanics and I would encourage you to continue to use your critical thinking skills to tackle complex problems in the future.

Related to Rotational Mechanics (Conveyor belt)

1. What is rotational mechanics?

Rotational mechanics is a branch of classical mechanics that deals with the motion and forces of objects that are rotating or in circular motion. It involves the study of torque, angular velocity, and angular acceleration.

2. How does a conveyor belt work?

A conveyor belt is a mechanical device that consists of a continuous moving belt that is used to transport objects from one location to another. The belt is typically powered by a motor, and objects are placed on the belt and carried along with it as it rotates. The rotation of the belt is powered by a series of pulleys and motors, which create a continuous motion that moves the objects along the belt.

3. What is the role of rotational mechanics in conveyor belt design?

Rotational mechanics plays a crucial role in the design of conveyor belts. Engineers use rotational mechanics principles to calculate the torque and power required to rotate the belt and move objects along it. They also use it to determine the appropriate speed and size of the motor and pulleys needed to achieve the desired motion.

4. What are some common problems with conveyor belts and how can rotational mechanics help solve them?

Some common problems with conveyor belts include belt slipping, uneven tension, and misalignment. Rotational mechanics can help solve these issues by determining the optimal placement and tension of the belt, as well as identifying any potential sources of friction or misalignment. By applying rotational mechanics principles, engineers can design conveyor belts that operate smoothly and efficiently.

5. Are there any safety concerns related to rotational mechanics in conveyor belt systems?

Yes, there are some safety concerns related to rotational mechanics in conveyor belt systems. The high speed and force of rotating belts and pulleys can pose a hazard to workers, and it is important to follow safety protocols and use proper guarding to prevent accidents. Additionally, regular maintenance and inspection of conveyor belt systems is crucial to ensure safe operation and prevent potential hazards.