Rotational kinematics using energy

In summary, a wheel with a diameter of 45.0 cm and a linear mass density of 25.0 g/cm is released from rest at the top of a 52.0 m high hill. The speed of the wheel when it reaches the bottom is 15.96 m/s. Doubling the linear mass density and diameter of the wheel would not change the speed.
alco19357

Homework Statement

A 45.0-cm diameter wheel, consisting of a rim and six spokes, is constructed from a thin rigid plastic material having a linear mass density of 25.0 g/cm. This wheel is released from rest at the top of a hill 52.0m high.

a.) How fast is it rolling when it reaches the bottom of the hill?
b.) How would your answer change if the linear mass density and the diameter of the wheel were each doubled?

Homework Equations

MEi = MEf
[itex]\omega[/itex] = V / R

The Attempt at a Solution

mghi = .5m*v2 + .5I*(v2 / R2)
v2 = (2*mghi) / (m + (I/R2))

I = mR^2 + 6/3 *mR^2
= 3mR^2

v^2 = 2mgh / (m + (3mR^2 / R^2))
= .5 * ghi

I get v = 15.96
but that is wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Nevermind. For those of you who are having trouble, figure I as a numerical number.

So I = m*R^2 + 6/3 * m*R^2

Note that the R is the radius of the wheel, hence, R is the same for both parts of the equation. However, m in the first part is the mass of the WHEEL (so you'll take the circumference of the rim and multiply it by the linear density) and m in the second part is the mass of each stoke (so you'll take one stoke's length and multiply it by the linear density).

You should get I=.235863

Then you have the equation

v^2 = (2*m*g*h) / (m + (I/R^2))

in both parts, the m is the mass of the total system (the 6 stokes and the rim, it should be like 6.909kg). The h is the initial height (52m) and the R is the radius of the rim. Take the square root and you'll get v.

For part 2, it won't change.

Related to Rotational kinematics using energy

1. What is rotational kinematics?

Rotational kinematics is the study of the motion of objects that are rotating around an axis. This includes analyzing the position, velocity, and acceleration of the object as it moves in a circular motion.

2. How is energy related to rotational kinematics?

Energy plays a crucial role in rotational kinematics as it is the driving force behind an object's motion. The kinetic energy of an object in rotational motion is directly related to its angular velocity and moment of inertia.

3. What is the difference between linear and rotational kinematics?

Linear kinematics deals with the motion of objects in a straight line, while rotational kinematics deals with the motion of objects in a circular or curved path. Additionally, rotational kinematics takes into account the object's angular displacement, velocity, and acceleration, while linear kinematics only considers linear measures.

4. How is torque related to rotational kinematics?

Torque is a measure of the rotational force applied to an object, and it is directly related to rotational kinematics. The greater the torque, the greater the object's angular acceleration will be. In essence, torque is the rotational equivalent of force in linear kinematics.

5. What are some real-world applications of rotational kinematics using energy?

Rotational kinematics using energy has practical applications in various fields, including engineering, physics, and sports. It is used in designing and analyzing machinery, such as engines and turbines, as well as in understanding the motion of celestial bodies. In sports, rotational kinematics is essential for activities such as spinning in figure skating and throwing in baseball or discus.