Rotational Kinematics - Angular velocity

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a dumbbell consisting of a slender rod and two steel balls attached to each end. The dumbbell is initially held horizontally and then released, and the question is asking for the angular velocity of the system when the rod is vertical. The poster has found the angular acceleration upon release and is now trying to link it to the velocity, using conservation of energy. They have calculated the height of the center of gravity when the rod is vertical and the moment of inertia, but their calculation is incorrect. They are seeking further assistance in solving the problem.
nahanksh

Homework Statement

http://online.physics.uiuc.edu/cgi/courses/shell/common/showme.pl?courses/phys211/oldexams/exam3/fa07/fig19.gif
A dumbbell consists of a slender rod of negligible mass and length L = 1 m and small steel balls attached to each end with mass 1 kg and 2 kg, respectively. It is pivoted at its center about a horizontal frictionless axle and initially held in place horizontally. The dumbbell is then released. What is the angular velocity of the system when the rod is vertical?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have figured out the angular acceleration upon release is 6.5rad/s^2 and the angular acceleration is zero at vertical (because of torque = 0 at vertical)
But from there, i got stuck and i don't know how to link this acceleration into the velocity..

Please could someone help me out here?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
It is easier to apply conservation of energy. When the rod is vertical, the centre of gravity is lower than in the horizontal position, the difference is equal to the kinetic energy.

ehild

ehild said:
It is easier to apply conservation of energy. When the rod is vertical, the centre of gravity is lower than in the horizontal position, the difference is equal to the kinetic energy.

I have tried to use the hint you have given..

Iw^2/2 = mgh

h = (2/3 - 1/2) ; length of center of gravity from pivot when it's at vertical

And i took moment of inertia I as 3*(2/3-1/2)^2

But when i calculated this, it was wrong...

I think RHS of the eqn is correct...

Is something wrong in LHS of the equation?

Please help me out...:(

I would really appreciate it .

Related to Rotational Kinematics - Angular velocity

1. What is angular velocity?

Angular velocity is a measure of how quickly an object is rotating around a fixed point or axis. It is represented by the Greek letter omega (ω) and is measured in radians per second (rad/s).

2. How is angular velocity different from linear velocity?

Angular velocity measures the rate of change of an object's angular displacement, while linear velocity measures the rate of change of an object's linear displacement. In other words, angular velocity describes how fast an object is rotating, while linear velocity describes how fast an object is moving in a straight line.

3. How is angular velocity calculated?

The formula for angular velocity is ω = Δθ/Δt, where ω is angular velocity, Δθ is the change in angular displacement, and Δt is the change in time. Alternatively, if the object's angular velocity is constant, it can be calculated by dividing the angle (in radians) by the time taken to complete one rotation.

4. What is the relationship between angular velocity and tangential velocity?

Angular velocity and tangential velocity are related through the radius of rotation. Tangential velocity is the linear speed of an object moving in a circular path, and it is equal to the angular velocity multiplied by the radius of rotation. This relationship is expressed as v = ωr, where v is tangential velocity, ω is angular velocity, and r is the radius of rotation.

5. How does angular velocity affect centripetal acceleration?

Centripetal acceleration is the acceleration towards the center of a circular path and is caused by a change in direction of the velocity vector. Angular velocity affects centripetal acceleration by determining the rate at which the direction of the velocity changes. The greater the angular velocity, the greater the centripetal acceleration, and the tighter the curve of the circular path.