Rotational Kinematics - angle between force and velocity

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a 1957 Chevrolet Corvette on a circular track and the calculations needed to determine its angular acceleration, angular speed, radial acceleration, and total acceleration and net force. The focus is on finding the angle between the total acceleration and net force with the car's velocity at a given time. The use of kinematics equations is suggested, and after some trial and error, the correct equation is found to be Arctan(ar/at). Using this equation, the correct angle is calculated as 50.19 degrees.
trinkleb
Here is the problem I am working on. I have found answers for all of them except part (f), which is the one I need help with. I will report the answers I have so far:

A classic 1957 Chevrolet Corvette of mass 1240 kg starts from rest and speeds up with a constant tangential acceleration of 2.00 m/s^2 on a circular test track of radius 60.0 m. Treat the car as a particle.

(a) What is its angular acceleration? --> 0.0333 rad/s2
(b) What is its angular speed 6.00 s after it starts? --> 0.2 rad/s
(c) What is its radial acceleration at this time? --> 2.4 rad/s2
(d) (I'll skip this one, since it's just a sketching problem)
(e) What are the magnitudes of the total acceleration and net force for the car at this time? --> atot = 3.12 m/s2 and ΣF = 3874 N

(f) What angle do the total acceleration and net force make with the car's velocity at this time?

I'm wondering if I should use one of the rotational kinematics equations, but I'm still not sure how to go about it. Any ideas would be helpful. Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Use your kinematics equations and substitute the variables. v=omega, alpha=a or acceleration, time=time, delta(x)=delta(theta).

Then solve as though kinematics. Use correct units: rad/s rad/s^2 instead of m/s etc. If you need more help, let me know.

This is what I did using a kinematics equation:

Θ = Θo + ωozt + 1/2(αzt2

Since it starts from rest,

Θ = 1/2(0.0333 rad/s2)(6 s)2
Θ = 0.594 rad = 107°

This is not the right answer. Does Θ really represent the angle between the acceleration and the velocity? I thought it was just the angular displacement, in which I can't see a correlation between that and the acceleration and velocity angle.

Delta Theta is Angular displacement. Starts from rest wi=0. Time=6.00s. Alpha=0.0333 rad/s^2. You now have 3 variables. Solve for wf.

Use wf=wi+alpha(time) -----------> wf=0 + (0.0333 rad/s^2)(6.00sec) That should result in your angular speed of 0.1998 or 0.2rad/s

Foe reg kinematics Vf=Vi+at

Oh sorry, for part (f) try

Delta Theta = ((wi+wf)/2 ))(time) wi+wf, divide by 2, multiply by time

Alright, so when I use that equation I get:

ΔΘ = ½(ωo + ωf)(t)
ΔΘ = ½(0 + 0.2 rad/s)(6 s) = 0.6 rad = 34.4°

The book says it should be 50.2°, which doesn't make sense to me. Is there a certain concept that I might be missing which could be keeping me from getting the right answer?

You need to use Arctan(ar/at). Try looking up Linear Acceleration in rigid body rotation in your textbook. atan=dv/dt = (r)(dw/dt)=ra

Tan^-1(2.40/2.00) =50.19 deg

Oh wow, that makes a lot of sense. Thank you so much!

Related to Rotational Kinematics - angle between force and velocity

1. What is rotational kinematics?

Rotational kinematics is the branch of physics that studies the motion of objects that are rotating around an axis.

2. What is the angle between force and velocity in rotational kinematics?

The angle between force and velocity in rotational kinematics is known as the angle of rotation. It represents the angle between the direction of the applied force and the direction of the object's linear velocity at any given point in time.

3. How is the angle of rotation related to the torque applied to an object?

The angle of rotation is directly proportional to the torque applied to an object. This means that the greater the torque applied, the larger the angle of rotation will be.

4. Can the angle of rotation be negative?

Yes, the angle of rotation can be negative. A negative angle of rotation indicates that the object is rotating in the opposite direction of the applied force.

5. How is the angle of rotation measured?

The angle of rotation is typically measured in degrees or radians. It can be measured using a protractor or calculated using trigonometric functions.