Rotational Kinematics and Energy Problem.

In summary, the conversation is about solving for the total KE, rotational KE, and translational KE of a 2.0kg cylinder rolling down a ramp. The formula for total mechanical energy is used along with the conservation of energy. The equation for final energy is simplified and solved for the unknown variables. Tips for solving equations with multiple exponents are also discussed.
new324
Please forgive me if this is sloppy. And sorry for not posting this thread here in the first place (I didn't know about this section of the forums). Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

A 2.0kg cylinder (radius=.1m and length=.5m) is released from rest at the top of a ramp, and is allowed to roll without slipping. The ramp is .75 m high and 5.0m long. When the cylinder reaches the bottom of the ramp, what is
(a) it's total KE (b) its rotational KE and (c) its translational KE?

Here's what I've got so far. Let me know if I'm off course.
I decided to use the Total Mechanical Energy Formula, and the conservation of energy:
E(total) = 1/2*m*v^2 + 1/2*I*ω^2 + m*g*h
E(total) = TranslationalKE + RotationalKE + GravitationalPE

Since the cylinder is at rest initially:
E(initial)=0+0+ 2.0kg*9.8*.75m ; E=14.7 J
From here I assume that at the end of the ramp, when the PE becomes 0, the total KE will equal 14.7 J as well. So there's (a) solved.

Next I plug in the knowns into the E(final) equation, and come up with:
14.7 J = (1/2)*2kg*v^2 + (1/2)*(1/2*2kg*.1^2)*ω^2 +0
which simplifies to:
14.7 J = V^2 + .005*ω^2

Here's my problem. First the equation for the E(final) seems off to me. And second, I'm not sure how to go about solving for ω^2 AND v^2 (I can't think of a third formula to throw in). Any advice? Thank You!

Physics news on Phys.org
As I already posted in your original thread:
v = ωr.

Sorry I missed that. Thank you!

Allright, great I got the right answer. But will someone take me through the steps to show how to solve this equation algerbraiclly? Exponents (and consequently square roots) are my weak suit, and I somehow always mess things up when multiple exponents/square roots are involved (I used Mathematica to solve it for me...I know I'm a cheater but I'd like be able to do it myself). The final equation ends up being:

14.7 J = (.1*ω)^2 + .005*ω^2

Thank You!

And any tips for solving equations with multiple exponents involved? I'm pretty sure it's just a reverse of the order of operations. But I'm not positive...

14.7 = (.1w)^2 + .005w^2
14.7 = (.1)^2*(w^2) + .005w^2
14.7 = w^2*(.1^2 + .005)
w^2 = 14.7/(.01 + .005) = 14.7/(.015)

You can take it from there, right?

cookiemonster

Thanks Cookie Monster! Hahaha, And yes I think I can handle the last of it (just barely). I thought that was pretty funny. I get it now, Much Obliged. :biggrin:

You can also let [tex]t = \omega ^2[/tex] and solve for t, if it makes your life easier. :smile:

Related to Rotational Kinematics and Energy Problem.

1. What is rotational kinematics and energy?

Rotational kinematics and energy is the study of the motion and energy of rotating objects. It involves understanding the relationship between an object's position, velocity, acceleration, and energy as it rotates around a fixed axis.

2. What are some common examples of rotational kinematics and energy?

Some common examples of rotational kinematics and energy include the motion of spinning tops, the rotation of wheels on a car, and the movement of planets around the sun.

3. How is rotational kinematics and energy different from linear kinematics and energy?

Rotational kinematics and energy differs from linear kinematics and energy in that it focuses on the motion and energy of objects rotating around a fixed axis, while linear kinematics and energy deals with the motion and energy of objects moving in a straight line.

4. What are some important concepts to understand in rotational kinematics and energy?

Some important concepts in rotational kinematics and energy include angular displacement, angular velocity, angular acceleration, and rotational energy. It is also important to understand the relationship between these concepts and their linear counterparts.

5. How is rotational kinematics and energy used in real-world applications?

Rotational kinematics and energy is used in many real-world applications, such as designing and analyzing machinery, understanding the motion of celestial bodies, and developing sports equipment like golf clubs and baseball bats. It also plays a crucial role in understanding the stability and control of vehicles and aircraft.