Rotational Equilibrium Lab Question

In summary, the conversation was about showing equilibrium in certain systems in a general physics lab. The apparatus used for rotational equilibrium consisted of a boom attached to a string/pulley with a given tension. The forces were measured in Newtons and moment arms in centimeters. The question was whether the measurements should be converted to meters before calculations. The units of a Newton were discussed to be Kg*m/s. It was concluded that converting measurements to meters was necessary for accurate calculations.
CLeSure
In my general physics lab, we are trying to show that certain systems are in equilibrium. The apparatus that we are using for rotational equilibrium consists of a boom resting on an axis point, attached to a string/pully that has a given tension.

The measured forces in the lab are in Newtons, but the measurements of the Moment Arms are in centimeters. Will I need to convert my measurements into meters before doing my calculations?

Thanks.

Chris

Physics news on Phys.org
CLeSure said:
In my general physics lab, we are trying to show that certain systems are in equilibrium. The apparatus that we are using for rotational equilibrium consists of a boom resting on an axis point, attached to a string/pully that has a given tension.

The measured forces in the lab are in Newtons, but the measurements of the Moment Arms are in centimeters. Will I need to convert my measurements into meters before doing my calculations?

Thanks.

Chris

What are the units of a Newton?

LowlyPion said:
What are the units of a Newton?

The forces were originally in grams, so we converted them to Newotons by mutliplying the mass by 10^-3, then multiplying b y 9.8 m/s So... the Newton would be Kg*m/s...

This is why I was thinking I had to convert my measurements to meters, so everything jived together. Am I correct in thinking this?

CLeSure said:
The forces were originally in grams, so we converted them to Newotons by mutliplying the mass by 10^-3, then multiplying b y 9.8 m/s So... the Newton would be Kg*m/s...

This is why I was thinking I had to convert my measurements to meters, so everything jived together. Am I correct in thinking this?

Most definitely.

Be more certain next time. Facts are facts.

Related to Rotational Equilibrium Lab Question

1. What is rotational equilibrium?

Rotational equilibrium is a state in which an object's rotational motion remains constant. This means that the object is not rotating and has no tendency to rotate, even when exposed to external forces.

2. How is rotational equilibrium different from translational equilibrium?

Translational equilibrium refers to an object's state of motion in which its velocity remains constant. In rotational equilibrium, the object's rotational motion remains constant. While translational equilibrium involves forces acting on an object's center of mass, rotational equilibrium involves forces acting on an object's axis of rotation.

3. What factors affect rotational equilibrium?

The factors that affect rotational equilibrium include the magnitude and direction of forces acting on the object, the distance of the forces from the axis of rotation, and the object's moment of inertia (a measure of its resistance to rotational motion).

4. How do you calculate the net torque on an object?

To calculate the net torque on an object, you need to know the force acting on the object, the distance of the force from the axis of rotation, and the angle between the force and the lever arm (the shortest distance between the force and the axis of rotation). The net torque is calculated by multiplying the force by the lever arm and the sine of the angle between them.

5. How can rotational equilibrium be applied in real-world situations?

Rotational equilibrium is an important concept in engineering and physics and is used in many real-world situations. For example, it is crucial in designing structures such as bridges and buildings to ensure their stability. It is also used in designing machines and tools that require rotational motion, such as gears and pulleys.