How do I calculate the normal force for equilibrium lab?

In summary: When I stand on the floor, the normal force pushes up on my feet to keep me...The normal force is what holds the setup up, and keeps it from falling.
Noman Rasheed
I did torque and equilibrium lab report, where I had to hang some weights on a meter stick, which was placed on a fulcrum. There were 3 parts for the lab, with different settings. I am stuck at the last part, where I hang the meter stick with a string over a pulley, and there were 4 weights hanging on the meter stick with a string for each at different displacement.
Like this:

At last, book says,
48UnMkb.jpg

How do I calculate the normal force?
I have also attached my excel sheet for the review too.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1AvY50hWh1eajAc74uUHKNaF9xTlTLyLH/view

Thank you!

Attachments

• 48UnMkb.jpg
    48UnMkb.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 2,409
Physics news on Phys.org
Noman Rasheed said:
I did torque and equilibrium lab report, where I had to hang some weights on a meter stick, which was placed on a fulcrum. There were 3 parts for the lab, with different settings. I am stuck at the last part, where I hang the meter stick with a string over a pulley, and there were 4 weights hanging on the meter stick with a string for each at different displacement.
Like this:

At last, book says,
View attachment 214745

How do I calculate the normal force?
I have also attached my excel sheet for the review too.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1AvY50hWh1eajAc74uUHKNaF9xTlTLyLH/view

Thank you!
They ask for the normal force at the fulcrum, which is just the total weight of the stick and weights, no?

berkeman said:
They ask for the normal force at the fulcrum, which is just the total weight of the stick and weights, no?

I added the mass of hanging weights and the weight of the stick, and multiplied the weight sum by 9.8, which gave me 4.31 N approximately. Do you think it is right?

Noman Rasheed said:
I added the mass of hanging weights and the weight of the stick, and multiplied the weight sum by 9.8, which gave me 4.31 N approximately. Do you think it is right?
You are mixing terminology there. F=ma, so the normal force is the sum of the masses multiplied by g. You don't multiply a weight by g...

Can you show your calculation of the normal force?

berkeman said:
Can you show your calculation of the normal force?
Here it is:

oUQIlda.jpg

Attachments

• oUQIlda.jpg
    oUQIlda.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 1,573
haruspex said:
Try adding those masses again. You have two digits swapped.

∑FN = m*g*cosΘ , where Θ = 0°
∑m = 0.1 + 0.07 + 0.075 + 0.06 + 0.1342 = 0.4392 kg
∑FN = 0.4392 * 9.8 = 4.30 N

This time I used the experimental mass of the stick, my bad for the last time.
Shouldn't the normal force be zero actually?

Noman Rasheed said:
Shouldn't the normal force be zero actually?
Why?

haruspex said:
Why?
Because sum of F and T should be 0 for being in equilibrium. Right?

Noman Rasheed said:
Because sum of F and T should be 0 for being in equilibrium. Right?
What are F and T? You cannot expect me to guess.

haruspex said:
What are F and T? You cannot expect me to guess.

Force and Torque. Apologize!

Noman Rasheed said:
Force and Torque. Apologize!
You cannot add a force to a torque.
Do you mean the sum of forces is zero and the sum of torques is zero? If so, yes, but how does that lead to the normal force being zero?

haruspex said:
You cannot add a force to a torque.
Do you mean the sum of forces is zero and the sum of torques is zero? If so, yes, but how does that lead to the normal force being zero?

Yes, that's what I was saying that sum of T and sum of F (separately) should be zero. If the normal force can't be, then what is that 4.31 N representing? Does it say that "4.31 N" of weight is acting downward (due to gravity)?

Noman Rasheed said:
Does it say that "4.31 N" of weight is acting downward (due to gravity)
You obtained it by adding the masses and multiplying by g, which is equivalent to multiplying each mass by g then adding the resulting weights. Therefore what you have found is the total force due to gravity on the stick+masses system. What other force(s) act on that system?

haruspex said:
You obtained it by adding the masses and multiplying by g, which is equivalent to multiplying each mass by g then adding the resulting weights. Therefore what you have found is the total force due to gravity on the stick+masses system. What other force(s) act on that system?

There is pressure, and I guess torque too, which was calculated as 0 ± 0.003 Nm.

Noman Rasheed said:
There is pressure, and I guess torque too, which was calculated as 0 ± 0.003 Nm.
Sorry, that makes no sense to me.
Noman Rasheed said:
houldn't the normal force be zero actually?
The normal force is what holds the setup up, and keeps it from falling. That is either supplied by the fulcrum pushing up on the stick, or in the later configuration it is supplied by the rope pulling up at the same point on the stick as the fulcrum was pushing up before.

When I stand on the floor, the normal force pushes up on my feet to keep me at that height. If there were no floor pushing up on me, I would fall in the downward direction.

Does that help?

Noman Rasheed said:
Pressure is not force; torque is not force.
The force of gravity acts to pull the system down. What force stops it moving down?

berkeman said:
Sorry, that makes no sense to me.

The normal force is what holds the setup up, and keeps it from falling. That is either supplied by the fulcrum pushing up on the stick, or in the later configuration it is supplied by the rope pulling up at the same point on the stick as the fulcrum was pushing up before.

When I stand on the floor, the normal force pushes up on my feet to keep me at that height. If there were no floor pushing up on me, I would fall in the downward direction.

Does that help?

I got it. Thank you so much!

haruspex said:
Pressure is not force; torque is not force.
The force of gravity acts to pull the system down. What force stops it moving down?
Oh!
That mean's a normal force of 4.30 N which is acting in the upward direction stops the meter stick, which is carrying masses, from falling downward. Am I right?

Last edited:
Noman Rasheed said:
That mean's a normal force of 4.91 N which is acting in the upward direction stops the meter stick, which is carrying masses, from falling downward.
Where did 4.91N come from? In post #8 it was 4.30N. Other than that, yes.

haruspex said:
Where did 4.91N come from? In post #8 it was 4.30N. Other than that, yes.

Typo. I got it. Thank you so much!

Related to How do I calculate the normal force for equilibrium lab?

1. How do I calculate the normal force in an equilibrium lab?

In order to calculate the normal force, you will need to use the equation FN = mgcosθ, where FN is the normal force, m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and θ is the angle between the object and the surface it is in contact with.

2. What is the purpose of calculating the normal force in an equilibrium lab?

The normal force is an important component of Newton's laws of motion and is necessary for understanding the forces acting on an object in equilibrium. It helps us determine the stability of an object and whether it will remain at rest or move.

3. How do I measure the angle θ in the normal force equation?

The angle θ can be measured using a protractor or by using trigonometry to calculate the angle based on the height and length of the surface the object is on.

4. Can the normal force ever be negative?

No, the normal force can never be negative. It is always equal in magnitude but opposite in direction to the force exerted by the object on the surface it is in contact with. If the object is pushing down on the surface, the normal force will be pointing upwards.

5. What are some common sources of error when calculating the normal force in an equilibrium lab?

Some common sources of error when calculating the normal force include incorrect measurement of the angle θ, friction between the object and the surface, and inconsistencies in the weight of the object. It is important to make sure all measurements are as accurate as possible in order to minimize error.