How Should a Plank Be Supported for Balance with Unequal Weights at Its Ends?

In summary, the homework question involves two children trying to make a see-saw with a 5m plank of wood, where they weigh 25kg and 20kg and sit on opposite ends. The plank needs to be supported at a specific point for it to balance. The student has calculated the weight of the children in Newtons (196N and 245N) and the opposing force of the pivot (441N), but is stuck on how to proceed with finding the solution. The key to solving the problem is understanding how to create no torque, using the equation t=RF.
alexo

Homework Statement

I think I'm being a bit dull today but I seem to be having real trouble understanding this question...

Two children wish to make a see-saw from a 5m plank of wood, the children weigh 25kg and 20kg. They wish to sit right on the ends of the plank. Where should the plank be supported in order for it to balance...

Homework Equations

t=RF

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that Net ACWM should = CWM...
I found the weight in Newtons of the kids...196N and 245N..
I added the two forces together to get the opposing force of the pivot, 441N

But now I'm stuck... and have no idea where to take it from here :(

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think the question is dealing with the pivot (in many of these problems the means of rotation, like the pulley is deemed massless and frictionless.)
the question is about torque, so ask yourself, how can the plank be placed so there is no torque? the only equation you need you already have.

Hello Alexo,

Don't worry, rotational equilibrium can be a bit tricky to understand at first. Let's break down the problem and see if we can figure out the solution.

First, we need to understand what rotational equilibrium means. In simple terms, it means that the forces acting on an object are balanced and there is no net torque (or rotational force) acting on the object. In other words, the object is not rotating or turning.

In this case, we have two forces acting on the plank of wood: the weight of the children on either end and the support force at the pivot point. In order for the plank to be in rotational equilibrium, the net torque must be zero. This means that the clockwise torque must be equal to the counterclockwise torque.

Now, let's look at the equation you provided: t=RF. This is known as the torque equation, where t is the torque, R is the distance from the pivot point, and F is the force. In this case, we can use this equation to calculate the torque of each force acting on the plank.

For the children on the ends of the plank, the torque is equal to their weight multiplied by the distance from the pivot point. Since the distance from the pivot point to each child is 2.5m (half of the plank's length), the torque for the 25kg child is 196N x 2.5m = 490Nm, and the torque for the 20kg child is 245N x 2.5m = 612.5Nm.

Now, let's look at the support force at the pivot point. Since we want the plank to be in rotational equilibrium, the torque from the support force must be equal to the torque from the children. This means that the support force must be located at a distance that will create an equal torque.

To find this distance, we can rearrange the torque equation to solve for the distance: R = t/F. Plugging in the values we found for the torque and the force of the children, we get R = 490Nm/441N = 1.11m. This means that the support force must be located 1.11m from the pivot point in order for the plank to be in rotational equilibrium.

I hope this helps you understand rotational equilibrium a bit better. Keep practicing and don't be afraid to ask for help if you get stuck again. Good luck with

Related to How Should a Plank Be Supported for Balance with Unequal Weights at Its Ends?

What is rotational equilibrium?

Rotational equilibrium is a state in which an object at rest is balanced and not rotating. This means that all the forces acting on the object must be balanced and there is no net torque acting on it.

How do you know if an object is in rotational equilibrium?

An object is in rotational equilibrium if the sum of the clockwise torques is equal to the sum of the counterclockwise torques. This can be determined by calculating the net torque acting on the object and making sure it is equal to zero.

What factors affect rotational equilibrium?

There are several factors that can affect rotational equilibrium, including the magnitude and direction of the forces acting on the object, the distance from the pivot point, and the distribution of mass within the object.

What is the difference between static and dynamic equilibrium?

Static equilibrium refers to a state in which an object is at rest and not moving. Dynamic equilibrium, on the other hand, refers to a state in which an object is moving at a constant velocity. In both cases, the forces acting on the object are balanced, but in dynamic equilibrium, the object is still in motion.

How can rotational equilibrium be used in real-life applications?

Rotational equilibrium is an important concept in engineering and design. It is used in the construction of buildings, bridges, and other structures to ensure that they are stable and can withstand external forces. It is also used in the design of vehicles, such as cars and airplanes, to ensure that they are balanced and can move smoothly without tipping over.