How Does Torque Maintain Equilibrium in a Ladder Supported by Two People?

In summary, when person A releases the ladder, the person at B must provide a torque of 300Nm to keep the ladder horizontal.
jiayingsim123

Homework Statement

A uniform ladder AC weight 400N & length 3.5 m is held horizontally by 2 people. One person supports at A and the other at B, a distance 1m away from C.
1. Calculate the supporting force provided by the person at A. (I managed to do this one and the answer is 120N)
2. The person at A releases the ladder. Calculate the torque which the person at B must provide in order to keep the ladder horizontal.

The diagram can be found here (scroll down to see diagram)
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1780861

I am having some problems with question 2. The answer to question 2 is 300Nm :)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

It is known that the supporting force at A is 120N when the end of the ladder (at A) has not been released, this means that the supporting force at B is 280N (400N-120N). However, I do not understand why the question asked for torque, I thought torque would require two forces which form a couple? Or am I having a gross misconception? Or does the torque here refers to the moment? If the ladder is horizontal, the ladder should be in equilibrium, hence the total upward forces should equal to the total downward forces. So does this mean that the new supporting force at B should also be 400N?

Please include explanations along with your solution, thanks a million! :D

Physics news on Phys.org
jiayingsim123 said:

The Attempt at a Solution

It is known that the supporting force at A is 120N when the end of the ladder (at A) has not been released, this means that the supporting force at B is 280N (400N-120N). However, I do not understand why the question asked for torque, I thought torque would require two forces which form a couple? Or am I having a gross misconception? Or does the torque here refers to the moment? If the ladder is horizontal, the ladder should be in equilibrium, hence the total upward forces should equal to the total downward forces. So does this mean that the new supporting force at B should also be 400N?

Please include explanations along with your solution, thanks a million! :D

With the system as shown in the diagram, the ladder is in equilibrium. So all three forces help to provide that equilibrium.

When person A let's go, the system is not in equilibrium anymore. The sum of the moments about any point is not zero anymore.

For it to remain in equilibrium, the person at B will need to provide a torque to balance out the torque due to the weight.

Related to How Does Torque Maintain Equilibrium in a Ladder Supported by Two People?

What is a moment?

A moment is a measure of the turning effect of a force around a pivot point. It is also known as torque.

What units are used to measure moments?

Moments are typically measured in newton-meters (Nm) or foot-pounds (ft-lb) in the SI and imperial systems, respectively.

How is moment calculated?

Moment is calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the force by the perpendicular distance from the pivot point to the line of action of the force. The formula is M = F x d, where M is the moment, F is the force, and d is the distance.

What is the principle of moments?

The principle of moments states that for an object to be in equilibrium, the total clockwise moment must be equal to the total counterclockwise moment. This principle is used to solve problems involving moments and torques.

How are moments and torques used in real-life situations?

Moments and torques are used in many real-life situations, such as building structures, machines, and vehicles. They are also important in sports, such as gymnastics and weightlifting, where balance and stability are crucial. In biomechanics, moments and torques are used to analyze human movement and determine the forces and stresses acting on the body. Additionally, moments and torques are used in everyday tasks, such as opening a door or using a wrench.