Rotational/angular problem: the bike wheel with a valve stem

In summary, the conversation revolves around finding the resulting torque when a valve stem is located 34 cm from the rotation axis and 32 degrees below the horizontal on a bicycle wheel being repaired. The relevant equation used is torque = rFsin(theta), but it was initially calculated incorrectly due to an incorrect cross product. After realizing the mistake and redrawing the diagram, the correct equation is determined to be torque = rFcos(theta).
4t0mic

Homework Statement

You have your bicycle upside-down for repairs. The front wheel is free to rotate and is perfectly balanced except for the 16 g valve stem. If the valve stem is 34 cm from the rotation axis and is located 32 degrees below the horizontal, what is the resulting torque about the wheel's axis? (torque = N*m)

Homework Equations

torque = rFsin(theta)
torque = I(alpha)
torque = MR^2(alpha)

The Attempt at a Solution

So I thought that torque = rFsin(theta) would be the most relevant since I think I know the radius, force, and the theta, giving me:

torque = rFsin(theta)
torque = r(mg)sin(theta)
torque = (.34cm)(0.016kg * 9.8m/s^2)(sin32)
= 0.02825 N*m

But this is wrong. What did I do wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
You did your cross product wrong.

Thanks for the reply. But I am using the right equation, right? So the F part in the equation is where I'm doing it wrong...

Ooh, so I took a break for a bit and I finally understand what you mean about the cross product. It all makes sense. I just had to redraw my diagram and draw the Force (mg) from the wheel but then draw the tangent line to the wheel where the Force is coming from. So it's torque = rFcos(theta).

Related to Rotational/angular problem: the bike wheel with a valve stem

1. What is rotational/angular problem in relation to a bike wheel with a valve stem?

Rotational/angular problem refers to the calculation of rotational motion, specifically in the context of a bike wheel with a valve stem. It involves understanding the forces and dynamics that affect the rotation of the wheel and the valve stem.

2. How does the valve stem affect the rotational motion of a bike wheel?

The valve stem, which is used to inflate and deflate the tire, is attached to the bike wheel. Its weight and position can affect the bike wheel's rotational motion, as it creates additional torque that must be overcome by the rider.

3. What is the significance of understanding rotational/angular problem in biking?

Understanding rotational/angular problem is important in biking because it helps riders optimize their performance and efficiency. By understanding the forces and dynamics that affect the rotation of the bike wheel and valve stem, riders can adjust their technique and equipment to improve their speed and control.

4. How can one solve rotational/angular problems in biking?

To solve rotational/angular problems in biking, one must have a good understanding of the forces and dynamics involved in rotational motion. This can be achieved through studying physics principles, as well as through practical experience and experimentation.

5. Are there any safety concerns related to rotational/angular problem in biking?

Yes, there are some safety concerns related to rotational/angular problem in biking. If the valve stem is not properly secured or if there is a significant weight imbalance, it can affect the stability and control of the bike. It is important to regularly check and maintain the valve stem and bike wheel to ensure safe riding conditions.