Rotation of DNA in electric field

In summary, DNA molecules with negative electric charge can be oriented and arranged along the field lines of an electric field, as seen in Pulsed-field gel electrophoresis. This is possible due to the charge distribution and the absence of any obstacles preventing them from moving towards the positive electrode. However, the specific orientation may also depend on the charge distribution.
Eagle9
As known the DNA molecule has got negative electric charge. Imagine that linear (almost like a straight arrow) DNA is placed in water solution and we turn the electric field on. I would like to know if the DNA molecules can orientate/rotate so that they to stay along the field lines of the electric field.
O3mOANt.png

I have heard that that in Pulsed-field gel electrophoresis exactly this approach is used: the electric field can orientate the DNA molecules.

So, is it possible? :rolleyes:
b8cr8nu.gif

Physics news on Phys.org
Eagle9 said:
As known the DNA molecule has got negative electric charge. Imagine that linear (almost like a straight arrow) DNA is placed in water solution and we turn the electric field on. I would like to know if the DNA molecules can orientate/rotate so that they to stay along the field lines of the electric field.
What prevents them from moving towards the positive electrode?

I guess the orientation will depend on the charge distribution.

mfb
What prevents them from moving towards the positive electrode?
Of course nothing
I guess the orientation will depend on the charge distribution.
Perhaps
But I want to know if they are arranged along the field lines or not :rolleyes:

Related to Rotation of DNA in electric field

1. How does DNA rotate in an electric field?

When an electric field is applied to a solution containing DNA, the DNA molecules will align with the field and begin to rotate. This is due to the fact that DNA molecules are polar and have a negative charge, causing them to be attracted to the positively charged end of the electric field.

2. What is the purpose of rotating DNA in an electric field?

The rotation of DNA in an electric field is often used in gel electrophoresis, a technique used to separate and analyze DNA fragments based on their size and charge. By rotating the DNA, it is easier to see the separation of the fragments as they move through the gel.

3. How does the rotation of DNA affect its structure?

The rotation of DNA in an electric field does not significantly alter its structure. The DNA molecules are still held together by hydrogen bonds and the rotation simply causes them to align with the electric field, rather than changing their base pair sequence or overall structure.

4. Can DNA rotate in any type of electric field?

Yes, DNA can rotate in any type of electric field, as long as the field is strong enough to overcome the forces holding the DNA molecules together. However, the rotation may differ depending on the strength and direction of the field.

5. Are there any other techniques besides gel electrophoresis that utilize the rotation of DNA in an electric field?

Yes, there are other techniques such as pulsed-field gel electrophoresis and capillary electrophoresis that also use the rotation of DNA in an electric field for separation and analysis. Additionally, this principle is also used in DNA sequencing methods such as capillary electrophoresis sequencing and ion torrent sequencing.