Rotating a spherical conductor in an Electric field

In summary, the rotating sphere in an electric field does not create a magnetic field, unless there is a net charge. The convection current generated by the rotating sphere can explain the magnetic field observed in a non-inertial reference frame, but not in an inertial reference frame where the charge distribution is static. This is similar to the concept of a Faraday generator, where a rotating disc in a stationary magnetic field creates a current. However, in this case, the rotating sphere does not create a current unless there is a net charge. The explanation of magnetism in the video mentioned may not be valid as it does not take into account the symmetry of the setup.
tim9000
Hi,

I recently came across the familiar image of a metal sphere in an electric field:

https://i.stack.imgur.com/x58Ia.jpg

I noted how the free-charges on the surface of the sphere align with the electric field lines as opposite charges are attracted.

Then I wondered, 'what if the sphere was spun with a radial velocity around an axis going into the page?'
This would be a moving charge as seen from the rotating conductors reference perspective. As the charges on the surface always wanted to align with the respective electric field. But does this count as an electric current? And thus have a magnetic field induced around the conductor? Because it seems like a paradox that the electric charge on the surface of the conductor is stationary with respect to an outside point, so how could it create a magnetic field?

I tried consulting:
http://www.maxwells-equations.com/maxwells-equations.gif

However, I wasn't able to comprehend how this could guide me in forming a conclusion.

So, would this rotating sphere create a magnetic field going into and out of the page?

Cheers

Physics news on Phys.org
It is easier to study this in an inertial (non-rotating) reference frame, where you have a current (via positive and negative charges rotating differently). It induces a magnetic field. The contribution that cancels the external magnetic field is not rotating, but the remaining object is positively charged and rotating.

Edit: This is wrong, see later posts.

mfb said:
It is easier to study this in an inertial (non-rotating) reference frame, where you have a current (via positive and negative charges rotating differently). It induces a magnetic field. The contribution that cancels the external magnetic field is not rotating, but the remaining object is positively charged and rotating.

Hey, thanks for the reply mfb.
Unfortunately I'm a complete simpleton, and try as I might, I don't really understand.
Okay, so inertial reference frame: we're in the lab watching the ball rotate as described. However, does this not mean that there is no electric current? Because it is only the ball that is spinning, not the external electric field around it (I hope I made that clear enough previously).
I don't understand what you mean by contribution which cancels the external magnetic field or how the object could have any [net] charge. Sorry.

Note: I would expect that if were in the non-inertial reference frame of the ball that we would see a current.

Thanks!

This sounds like a very interesting but tough problem. Indeed you induce a charge distribution ##\rho##, and through the rotation you'll get a current distribution ##\vec{j}=\rho \vec{v}## (it's called a convection current) and thus also a magnetic field.

vanhees71 said:
This sounds like a very interesting but tough problem. Indeed you induce a charge distribution ##\rho##, and through the rotation you'll get a current distribution ##\vec{j}=\rho \vec{v}## (it's called a convection current) and thus also a magnetic field.
I guess it's kind of like the Electric version of a Faraday generator (where there is a stationary magnetic field and a rotating disc).

So from what you said I'd assume that it doesn't matter which reference frame the charge is moving in, a magnetic field will be generated and seen in all reference frames. However, it's this vector that I'm still skeptical in: ##\vec{j}=\rho \vec{v}## because from the inertial reference frame the charge distribution doesn't have a velocity (as far as I can imagine).

Thanks!

Ah wait, I forgot the symmetry of the setup. You have negative charge accumulating at one side, but positive charge accumulating at the other side.
Ignore my previous post. I wouldn't expect a magnetic field unless the sphere has an overall net charge.

@vanhees71: In our inertial reference frame the charge distribution should be static.

Likes tim9000
mfb said:
Ah wait, I forgot the symmetry of the setup. You have negative charge accumulating at one side, but positive charge accumulating at the other side.
Ignore my previous post. I wouldn't expect a magnetic field unless the sphere has an overall net charge.

@vanhees71: In our inertial reference frame the charge distribution should be static.
Exactly what I thought.
Yeah, so no magnetic field.

Thanks again!

A friend of mine said that this video was sophistry:

So I suppose this thought experiment we've been discussing is proof of that?

mfb said:
Ignore my previous post

Whew!

If the resistance is truly 0, you can view this as spinning the sphere, but leaving the free charges where they are. If the resistance is small and non-zero, the charges are dragged with the metal, but since there is still no net charge, there shouldn't be a net current, so no net field.

You don't need a net charge to have a current. A wire with some current inside is not charged but still produces a magnetic field.

There is a magnetic field, but the situation is actually the other way round from what we have in such a wire. In a wire, the electrons follow the potential gradient. In the rotating sphere, the atomic nuclei are bound by the crystal lattice and rotate, whereas the conduction electrons are fixed by the electric field.

Likes tim9000
Vanadium 50 said:
but since there is still no net charge

Replace with "net motion of charge".

Gigaz said:
You don't need a net charge to have a current. A wire with some current inside is not charged but still produces a magnetic field.

There is a magnetic field, but the situation is actually the other way round from what we have in such a wire. In a wire, the electrons follow the potential gradient. In the rotating sphere, the atomic nuclei are bound by the crystal lattice and rotate, whereas the conduction electrons are fixed by the electric field.

Vanadium 50 said:
Replace with "net motion of charge".
I agree and think we're all totally on the same page. So are these results in-line with the explanation of magnetism in the video? And what are your thoughts on the validity of this explanation?

Thanks!

tim9000 said:
I guess it's kind of like the Electric version of a Faraday generator (where there is a stationary magnetic field and a rotating disc).

So from what you said I'd assume that it doesn't matter which reference frame the charge is moving in, a magnetic field will be generated and seen in all reference frames. However, it's this vector that I'm still skeptical in: ##\vec{j}=\rho \vec{v}## because from the inertial reference frame the charge distribution doesn't have a velocity (as far as I can imagine).

Thanks!
It has! To a very good approximation you can take ##\vec{v}=\vec{\omega} \times \vec{r}## since the conduction currents are negligible here.

I'd also not try to calculate this in the rotating body-rest frame by the way.

I don't comment on videos. I think that it is the responsibility of the person citing the video to extract the central argument and to clearly write it down - not to make the people who are trying to help spend their time trying to fish it out. To be blunt, if it's not worth the poster's time to do this, how much less valuable is mine?

In your picture, the charge distribution is the same whether you rotate the sphere or not. That's the key.

mfb said:

I think as charges move there will be current in one direction due to positive charges on one edge of sphere and due to negative charges on other end. While integral of current around the sphere will be zero, there will be local fields around each current.

vanhees71 said:
It has! To a very good approximation you can take ##\vec{v}=\vec{\omega} \times \vec{r}## since the conduction currents are negligible here.

I'd also not try to calculate this in the rotating body-rest frame by the way.
I'm confused now, because isn't the whole point that the electrons DON'T have a radial velocity ω? Because they're hanging on the surface permanently facing the positive side or (higher potential) of the external electric field? And thus not moving around the centre of the sphere in space or in time from an outside perspective.

Vanadium 50 said:
I don't comment on videos. I think that it is the responsibility of the person citing the video to extract the central argument and to clearly write it down - not to make the people who are trying to help spend their time trying to fish it out. To be blunt, if it's not worth the poster's time to do this, how much less valuable is mine?

In your picture, the charge distribution is the same whether you rotate the sphere or not. That's the key.
That's fair-enough, I shouldn't have assumed you'd be interested enough to sit and watch it; I appreciate your frankness.
The thesis of the video is that a positively charged cat is moving with the same velocity parallel to an electric current, so via special relativity the cat sees a negative electric repulsive force (because from the cat's perspective the moving positively charged nuclei of the wire is moving and has a greater spatial density, and the stationary electrons have a more stretched-out distribution). Which the video asserts explains the perceived 'magnetic' attraction or repulsion.
I see this as being analogous to the thought-experiment of this thread, and thus if it were true then a "magnetic field" would be created from the positive atoms of our rotating sphere. Given that we've previously concluded that it is not the case, I am lead to believe that the video is incorrectly asserting what a 'magnetic' field is.

When you say "In your picture, the charge distribution is the same whether you rotate the sphere or not" I want to clarify, I thought that picture was indicating that the electrons are hanging on the surface permanently facing the positive side or (higher potential) of the external electric field and the positive valance shell holes are on the side of the sphere facing the lower potential of the external electric field? So there is a charge distribution across the surface of the sphere, but it's not moving in space or time.

shiv222 said:
I think as charges move there will be current in one direction due to positive charges on one edge of sphere and due to negative charges on other end. While integral of current around the sphere will be zero, there will be local fields around each current.
I'm having trouble visualising what you mean, because from the perspective of the electric field I don't think the charges are moving. On what axis is the negative charge flowing locally?Thanks all

tim9000 said:
I'm confused now, because isn't the whole point that the electrons DON'T have a radial velocity ω? Because they're hanging on the surface permanently facing the positive side or (higher potential) of the external electric field? And thus not moving around the centre of the sphere in space or in time from an outside perspective.
Why? I forgot the exact reference, but there is a very nice American Journal of Physics article on the homopolar generator with an experimental verification that the electrons in a conductor are indeed moving with the body as a whole. I think one should be able to treat this problem as a static one. Since after some transient state, i.e., after a sufficiently long time you should simply have a static charge-current distribution (as long as ##\vec{\omega}## is time independent of course). If I find the time at this weekend, I'll give it a try. It looks like a very interesting static problem (maybe something to puzzle about for our students in the E&M lecture in the upcoming fall semester ;-))).

tim9000 said:
So there is a charge distribution across the surface of the sphere, but it's not moving in space or time.

That's right. That's why there is no magnetic field. (Again, this relies on R=0, a perfect conductor; a physical sphere is different)

vanhees71 said:
Why? I forgot the exact reference, but there is a very nice American Journal of Physics article on the homopolar generator with an experimental verification that the electrons in a conductor are indeed moving with the body as a whole. I think one should be able to treat this problem as a static one. Since after some transient state, i.e., after a sufficiently long time you should simply have a static charge-current distribution (as long as ##\vec{\omega}## is time independent of course). If I find the time at this weekend, I'll give it a try. It looks like a very interesting static problem (maybe something to puzzle about for our students in the E&M lecture in the upcoming fall semester ;-))).

Vanadium 50 said:
That's right. That's why there is no magnetic field. (Again, this relies on R=0, a perfect conductor; a physical sphere is different)

Hi Vanhees and Vanadium,

That is something that I didn't consider, due to Resistance the electrons would have a slow drift velocity, possibly smaller than that of an applied radial velocity of the sphere, and so would get dragged along with the conductor (sphere) as they tried to move along the electric field lines. This would decrease the maximum charge density. However, I doubt this could look like an electric current externally, so as you say, it's still a static charge distribution.Regarding the lack of magnetic field of the sphere (of which I concur). If you wouldn't mind, I do feel that this outcome flys in the face of the explanation of magnetism via Special Relativity, the hypothesis of which I critiqued (from the aforementioned video):

tim9000 said:
That's fair-enough, I shouldn't have assumed you'd be interested enough to sit and watch it; I appreciate your frankness.
The thesis of the video is that a positively charged cat is moving with the same velocity parallel to an electric current, so via special relativity the cat sees a negative electric repulsive force (because from the cat's perspective the moving positively charged nuclei of the wire is moving and has a greater spatial density, and the stationary electrons have a more stretched-out distribution). Which the video asserts explains the perceived 'magnetic' attraction or repulsion.
I see this as being analogous to the thought-experiment of this thread, and thus if it were true then a "magnetic field" would be created from the positive atoms of our rotating sphere. Given that we've previously concluded that it is not the case, I am lead to believe that the video is incorrectly asserting what a 'magnetic' field is.
I disagree with this video because by this logic: An external object that was negatively charged would see the spinning positive charges of the sphere as being of a greater density in space (due to special relativity length contraction) than the static or slower-moving electrons, and thus experience a magnetic attraction, which I find implausible to say the least. I'm not saying that this does not occur, but I do not accept that it is the explanation for magnetism, does anyone else agree/disagree?

Thanks very much!

Last edited:
Vanadium 50 said:
Indeed, to do the calculation you need Ohm's Law in the form ##\vec{j}_{\text{cond}}=\sigma(\vec{E}+\vec{v} \times \vec{B}/c)=0## inside the rotating sphere to have stationary conditions. As I said before, this implies that you can with good approximation assume that ##\vec{j}=\vec{j}_{\text{convect}}=\rho \vec{\omega} \times \vec{r}##. I'll try to do the calculation later.

vanhees71 said:

I think the formula you wrote is not applicable in this case. Because, the voltage throughout the conductive sphere is the same. So, the voltage difference is zero and we will not have any current.

• Skeptical
Likes berkeman

What is the concept of rotating a spherical conductor in an electric field?

The concept of rotating a spherical conductor in an electric field involves placing a charged spherical object in an electric field and observing its movement. The electric field exerts a force on the charged object, causing it to rotate around its center of mass.

What factors affect the rotation of a spherical conductor in an electric field?

The rotation of a spherical conductor in an electric field is affected by the strength of the electric field, the magnitude of the charge on the conductor, and the distance between the conductor and the source of the electric field.

What is the direction of rotation for a positively charged spherical conductor in an electric field?

A positively charged spherical conductor will rotate in the direction of the electric field lines. This is because the electric field exerts a force on the positively charged object, causing it to move in the direction of the force.

How does the shape of the conductor affect its rotation in an electric field?

The shape of the conductor does not significantly affect its rotation in an electric field. As long as the conductor is spherical, the force exerted by the electric field will be directed towards its center of mass, causing it to rotate.

Is there a limit to how fast a spherical conductor can rotate in an electric field?

Yes, there is a limit to how fast a spherical conductor can rotate in an electric field. This limit is determined by the strength of the electric field and the magnitude of the charge on the conductor. If the rotation speed exceeds this limit, the conductor may lose its charge and stop rotating.