Rotation of axes to Eliminate the xy-term in a quadratic equation

In summary, the Homework Statement is trying to find the principal axes of an ellipse, and because of the 16\sqrt{2}x term, it is not centered around (0,0). The problem is, I don't know what I'm meant to do with this.
Randomers

Homework Statement

Rotation of axes to Eliminate the xy-term in a quadratic equation

3x^2 - 10xy + 3y^2 + 16 √2x - 32 = 0

2. The attempt at a solution

I do not know the method that should be taken to solve this sort of question. That is what I am looking for. If anyone can point me in the right direction or help me through this type of problem I would very much appreciate it.

Physics news on Phys.org
You are looking for the principal axes of an ellipse. And because of the [itex]16\sqrt{2}x[/itex] term, I guess that it is not even centered around (0,0)

The thing is, I don't know what I'm meant to do with this. How do I go about rotating axes of an equation?

If your function is something like [itex]f(x,y)= Ax^2+ Bxy+ Cy^2[/itex]+ linear terms, there are two methods of doing this, one involving more calculation, the other "deeper" and more sophisticated.

The one involving more calculation is this: let [itex]x= x'cos(\theta)+ y'sin(\theta)[/itex] and [itex]y= -x'sin(\theta)+ y'cos(\theta)[/itex]. Put those into the formula so that you have [itex]x'^2[/itex], [itex]x'y'[/itex], and [itex]y'^2[/itex], each with coefficients depending on known number A, B, C, and [itex]\theta[/itex]. Set the coefficient of x'y' equal to 0 and solve for [itex]\theta[/itex].

More sophisticated: write [itex]f(x,y)= Ax^2+ Bxy+ Cy^2[/itex] in matrix form:
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}x & y\end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}A & B/2 \\ B/2 & C\end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}x \\ y \end{bmatrix}[/tex]
and solve for the eigenvalues and eigenvectors for that 2 by 2 matrix. Since it is a symmetric matrix, it has real eigenvalues and 2 independent eigenvectors. If you take the new x', y' axes in the direction of the eigenvectors, the matrix becomes diagonal, having the eigenvalues on the main diagonal so that your equation becomes
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}x' & y'\end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}\lambda_0 & 0 \\ 0 & \lambda_1\end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}x' \\ y'\end{bmatrix}= \lambda_0x'^2+ \lambda_1y'^2[/tex]

Related to Rotation of axes to Eliminate the xy-term in a quadratic equation

1. What is the purpose of rotating axes to eliminate the xy-term in a quadratic equation?

The purpose of rotating axes is to simplify the equation by eliminating the xy-term, which can make it easier to solve or graph the equation.

2. How do you determine the angle of rotation needed to eliminate the xy-term?

The angle of rotation can be determined by using the formula tan(2θ) = B/(A-C), where A, B, and C are the coefficients of the quadratic equation in standard form (Ax^2 + Bxy + Cy^2).

3. Can any quadratic equation be rotated to eliminate the xy-term?

Yes, any quadratic equation can be rotated to eliminate the xy-term as long as the coefficients of the equation are real numbers.

4. Does rotating axes affect the solutions of the quadratic equation?

No, rotating axes does not change the solutions of the quadratic equation. It only changes the orientation of the graph and the way the equation is written.

5. Are there any disadvantages to rotating axes to eliminate the xy-term?

One potential disadvantage is that rotating axes can make the equation more complex and difficult to understand. It may also be more challenging to graph the rotated equation compared to the original equation.