Rotation Matrix: Calculating Angle & Direction of Rotation

In summary, the conversation is about finding the angle and direction of rotation for a given matrix representing a rotation about the origin. The angle is determined to be 60 degrees and the direction is counterclockwise.
breen155

Homework Statement

Hey guys, I'm not sure if this bit is relevant but the first part of the question is... 'The diagram shows a triangle with vertices O, A(1,2) , B (0,2). The question I need help with is 'Each of the following matricies represents a rotation about the origin, Find the angle and direction of rotation in each case'

(1/2 -[tex]\sqrt{3}[/tex]/2)
([tex]\sqrt{3}[/tex]/2 1/2)

Imagine its one big set of brackets around the above matrix not 2 smaller ones :)

Homework Equations

I'm also not sure whether these are of relivance but x' = ax + cy and y' = bx + dy
also I have the matrix
cos[tex]\theta[/tex] -sin[tex]\theta[/tex]
sin[tex]\theta[/tex] cos[tex]\theta[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I have been messing about with this for a while attemting to sub in co ordinates to the x' equations and y' equations but I feel I am getting nowhere. I would appreciate any help.
Thanks in advance guys
Breen155

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]\begin{pmatrix} a & -b \\ b & a \end{pmatrix} = \begin{pmatrix} cos(\theta) & -sin(\theta) \\ sin(\theta) & cos(\theta) \end{pmatrix}[/tex]

[tex] a = \frac{1}{2}[/tex]
[tex] b = \frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}[/tex]Can you use the definition of equality of matrices to get two equations for theta?

Last edited:
not too sure what you mean sorry I only started teaching this to myself this morning :S erm... is it costheta - sin theta = .5 and sintheta + costheta = sqt3/2 ?

I slipped up on my notation. I fixed my last post. Try to get the equations again because they aren't right. Remember, get them by using the definition of equality for matrices.

costheta = .5 and sintheta = sqrt3/2 ? :)

correct. Now you just need to find theta.

theta is 60 degrees but how do i tell the direction of rotation, clockwish or anticlockwise ? :) (thanks for the help so far btw)

Remember that a positive theta corresponds, by convention, to a counterclockwise rotation. If it were a clockwise rotation of 60 degrees, then theta would be -60 degrees. This is equivalent to a counterclockwise rotation of 300 degrees, and you see that the sine and cosine of 300 degrees is exactly equal to the sine and cosine of -60 degrees. Of course, this means the question is a bit vague, since you can change the direction of rotation just by changing the angle. If you have both a direction with a correct angle, however, it should be fine.

Ok I understand now. Thanks for all the help guys

Related to Rotation Matrix: Calculating Angle & Direction of Rotation

1. What is a rotation matrix?

A rotation matrix is a mathematical tool used to represent a rotation in three-dimensional space. It is a square matrix with elements that describe the rotation around each axis.

2. How do you calculate the angle of rotation from a rotation matrix?

The angle of rotation can be calculated by taking the arccosine of the trace of the rotation matrix, which is the sum of the diagonal elements. This angle represents the magnitude of the rotation around a specific axis.

3. How do you determine the direction of rotation from a rotation matrix?

The direction of rotation can be determined by examining the sign of the sine of the angle of rotation. If the sine is positive, the rotation is counterclockwise; if it is negative, the rotation is clockwise.

4. Can a rotation matrix be used for rotations in two-dimensional space?

Yes, a rotation matrix can also be used to represent rotations in two-dimensional space. In this case, the matrix will have only two rows and columns, and the third dimension will be assumed to have a value of 0.

5. How do you apply a rotation matrix to a vector?

To apply a rotation matrix to a vector, the vector must be multiplied by the rotation matrix. The resulting vector will have the same magnitude but will be rotated in the direction specified by the rotation matrix.