Rotate Plane: Transform z=b-y to Horizontal Plane

In summary: Instead, it's the equation of the new plane you want to get after rotation.In summary, the conversation is about using a rotation transform to show how the plane z = b - y can be transformed to a horizontal plane. The equation \widehat{z} = \frac{b}{\sqrt{b^2 + c^2}} is the equation of the new plane after rotation. The conversation also touches on the concept of finding the angle between the normal to the plane and the z-axis in order to determine the amount of rotation needed.
julz127

Homework Statement

using a rotation transform, show that the plane z = b - y can be transformed to the horizontal plane

[itex]\widehat{z} = \frac {b} {\sqrt{b^2 + c^2}}[/itex]

Homework Equations

^

The Attempt at a Solution

I just need some help understanding the question, if I could get a hint or something to point me in the right direction. By rotation transform do they mean a rotation transform matrix? it also looks like something is being normalised.

Sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong forum, it's from an assignment for a calculus class so I thought I'd put it here.

Physics news on Phys.org
julz127 said:

Homework Statement

using a rotation transform, show that the plane z = b - y can be transformed to the horizontal plane

[itex]\widehat{z} = \frac {b} {\sqrt{b^2 + c^2}}[/itex]

Homework Equations

^

The Attempt at a Solution

I just need some help understanding the question, if I could get a hint or something to point me in the right direction. By rotation transform do they mean a rotation transform matrix? it also looks like something is being normalised.

Sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong forum, it's from an assignment for a calculus class so I thought I'd put it here.

In the equation z = b - y, x doesn't appear, so to visualize the plane, start by sketching the trace in the y-z plane. You should get a straight line. The whole plane can be generated by letting this line sweep back and forth in the direction of the z-axis.

What angle does the normal to the plane (or a perpendicular to the trace in the y-z plane) make with the z-axis? That's the angle that the plane should be rotated to make it horizontal.

Mark44 said:
In the equation z = b - y, x doesn't appear, so to visualize the plane, start by sketching the trace in the y-z plane. You should get a straight line. The whole plane can be generated by letting this line sweep back and forth in the direction of the z-axis.

What angle does the normal to the plane (or a perpendicular to the trace in the y-z plane) make with the z-axis? That's the angle that the plane should be rotated to make it horizontal.

Thanks but I think my question is more about how to rotate it, my (poor) understanding of the question is that I apply some sort of rotation transform to get the second equation, or is the second equation the actual transform?

It's actually part of a larger question involving integrating the volume of an ellipsoid above a plane.

Well, before you apply a rotation to your plane, you have to know how much (by what angle) to rotate it. Or equivalently, instead of rotating the plane, you could rotate the axis system the opposite direction. The new equation you showed is not the rotation transform.

Related to Rotate Plane: Transform z=b-y to Horizontal Plane

1. What is a "Rotate Plane" transformation?

A "Rotate Plane" transformation is a mathematical operation that changes the orientation of a plane in a three-dimensional space. It involves rotating the plane around an axis, which can be specified by a set of coordinates or a vector.

2. How does the transformation z=b-y change the orientation of the plane?

The transformation z=b-y rotates the plane around the x-axis, causing it to shift from a vertical to a horizontal orientation. This means that the y-axis becomes parallel to the plane and the z-axis becomes perpendicular to it.

3. What is the purpose of transforming a plane to a horizontal orientation?

Transforming a plane to a horizontal orientation can make it easier to analyze and work with in certain situations. For example, it can simplify calculations and make it easier to visualize the relationship between different variables.

4. Can the transformation z=b-y be applied to any plane?

Yes, the transformation z=b-y can be applied to any plane in a three-dimensional space. However, the resulting orientation will depend on the initial orientation of the plane and the axis of rotation chosen.

5. Are there other ways to transform a plane to a horizontal orientation?

Yes, there are multiple ways to transform a plane to a horizontal orientation. Some other common transformations include rotating the plane around the y-axis or using a combination of rotations around multiple axes. The specific transformation used will depend on the desired outcome and the mathematical problem being solved.