N00b alert: Reducing High, Pulsing Voltage

• Thread starter John154
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Voltage
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with reducing a 5kV pulsing voltage from an electric fence charger down to 5V. The individual tried using a voltage divider but experienced inconsistencies in the output voltage. They found a schematic from a thesis paper and attempted to set it up, but still faced issues. Suggestions were made to use a HV probe or add a capacitor and/or diode to the circuit for smoother DC voltage readings. The individual plans to use the 5V for a microcontroller to detect faults in the electric fence. There is also a discussion about the voltage rating of ordinary resistors and their ability to withstand 5kV.
John154
Hi all,

I am trying to reduce a pulsing voltage (coming from an electric fence charger) of 5kV down to 5V. I already tried using a voltage divider, but the voltage is coming out very inconsistently—anywhere from 7V to 170V. I found the schematic attached (from a thesis paper) but I'm not too sure how to set it up. I only want the voltage detector, I am not interested in the pulse detector. I tried setting up the circuit by placing the 10M, 10M, 1M, and 6.8k resistors in series, but I am still getting the inconsistency issues.

Any help you could give would be much appreciated. Sorry if I'm missing something extremely simple, I'm very inexperienced and just looking to learn.

Attachments

• Screenshot at May 22 11-50-27.png
    Screenshot at May 22 11-50-27.png
    5.2 KB · Views: 487
Engineering news on Phys.org
John154 said:
Hi all,

I am trying to reduce a pulsing voltage (coming from an electric fence charger) of 5kV down to 5V. I already tried using a voltage divider, but the voltage is coming out very inconsistently—anywhere from 7V to 170V. I found the schematic attached (from a thesis paper) but I'm not too sure how to set it up. I only want the voltage detector, I am not interested in the pulse detector. I tried setting up the circuit by placing the 10M, 10M, 1M, and 6.8k resistors in series, but I am still getting the inconsistency issues.

Any help you could give would be much appreciated. Sorry if I'm missing something extremely simple, I'm very inexperienced and just looking to learn.
Welcome to the PF.

You could just use an off-the-shelf HV probe like the one I link to below. It has a 1000:1 divide ratio, and reasonable bandwidth for low-frequency measurements.

Do you know what the nature of the 5kV waveform is? When you make both DC and AC measurements with your meter, what do you read off of your resistor divider? Do you know how often the pulses happen? You might be able to just add a 1uF non-polar capacitor in parallel with your bottom resistor to get a smoother DC reading. You can also put a 1N4148 diode in series between your last 2 divider resistors (the diode cathode connects to the top of the 6.8k Ohm resistor) to rectify the waveform to give you a better DC voltage.

What are you planning on doing with the 5V, BTW?

http://www.mouser.com/images/fluke/lrg/80k6_02h_p.jpg
80k6_02h_p.jpg

berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF.

You could just use an off-the-shelf HV probe like the one I link to below. It has a 1000:1 divide ratio, and reasonable bandwidth for low-frequency measurements.

Do you know what the nature of the 5kV waveform is? When you make both DC and AC measurements with your meter, what do you read off of your resistor divider? Do you know how often the pulses happen? You might be able to just add a 1uF non-polar capacitor in parallel with your bottom resistor to get a smoother DC reading. You can also put a 1N4148 diode in series between your last 2 divider resistors (the diode cathode connects to the top of the 6.8k Ohm resistor) to rectify the waveform to give you a better DC voltage.

What are you planning on doing with the 5V, BTW?

http://www.mouser.com/images/fluke/lrg/80k6_02h_p.jpg
View attachment 204355

Thanks for the response. It is 5kV DC and pulses are happening every half second. I have a zener diode, could I place that in series instead of the 1N4148? My plan is to feed the 5V into a microcontroller (Arduino) and then use the microcontroller to sense whenever there is a fault in the electric fence.

John154 said:
Thanks for the response. It is 5kV DC and pulses are happening every half second. I have a zener diode, could I place that in series instead of the 1N4148? My plan is to feed the 5V into a microcontroller (Arduino) and then use the microcontroller to sense whenever there is a fault in the electric fence.
If all you have is the Zener diode, you can use it temporarily until you get a regular diode. What is the Zener's reverse breakdown voltage? Still put its cathode connected to the top of the 6.8k Ohm resistor.

Is your Arduino running off of 5V or 3.3V? In either case, you will want to clamp that voltage sense input between ground and Vcc to the Arduino with protection diodes (the board may have them already on that input connection point).

Likes Asymptotic
Ordinary resistors have a maximum voltage rating , typical is 400 volts. It's not their power dissipation limit but a dielectric breakdown limit.

To make a whole watt in 10 megohms would take 3162 volts. So it seems safe enough from power handling perspective. But at just 16 milliwatts you hit their 400 volt limit.

What kind of resistors did you use?

To withstand 5KV you'd need about twelve 400 volt rated resistors in series.

I suspect your two 10 meg resistors are arcing through. If you had more current available they'd explode, like the picture in this thread

https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...help-me-identify-a-burned-up-resistor.915397/
20170522_121342-jpg.jpg
Look carefully at your resistor datasheet and find their maximum voltage rating.. Did you exceed it ?
If so, go to the manufacturer's catalog and see whether he makes resistors for higher voltage work.
Or series up twenty one-megohm resistors, they're cheap enough and it'll be safer.

If you did use high voltage resistors, i'd suggest run it at night and look for sparks.

Likes Asymptotic and berkeman

Related to N00b alert: Reducing High, Pulsing Voltage

1. What causes high, pulsing voltage?

High, pulsing voltage can be caused by a variety of factors, including faulty wiring, power surges, or malfunctioning electronic components. It can also be a result of external factors such as lightning strikes or power grid fluctuations.

2. How can high, pulsing voltage be harmful?

High, pulsing voltage can damage electronic devices, causing them to malfunction or even completely fail. It can also pose a safety hazard, as it can lead to electrical fires or shocks.

3. How can high, pulsing voltage be reduced?

The most effective way to reduce high, pulsing voltage is to use a surge protector or voltage regulator. These devices can absorb excess voltage and regulate the flow of electricity to your electronic devices.

4. Can high, pulsing voltage be prevented?

While it is not always possible to prevent high, pulsing voltage, there are some precautions you can take. Regular maintenance of your electrical system and using surge protectors can help minimize the risk of high voltage spikes.

5. What should I do if I experience high, pulsing voltage?

If you experience high, pulsing voltage, it is important to unplug your electronic devices immediately to prevent damage. You should also contact a licensed electrician to inspect your wiring and address any potential issues.