Rossby Wave Problem: Deriving General Expressions

• Thread starter Zythryn
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wave
In summary: I'll go ahead and move this thread to the calculus schoolwork forum, to hopefully get you better views than in the Earth forum.Also, can you please post the "Relevant Equations" to define some of the quantities that we probably are not familiar with in this area of science? Thanks.I tried to add a screenshot of your hand-written work, but it didn't come out so well.You really need to learn to use LaTeX to post your work on internet forums (and for publications later, if you go that route).I'll go ahead and move this thread to the calculus schoolwork forum, to hopefully get you better views than in the Earth forum.Also, can you please post the
Zythryn
Summary:: Given an equation of geopotential of wave in a westerly flow, take derivatives to derive general expressions.

Given an equation of geopotential of wave in a westerly flow, take derivatives to derive general expressions.

Attachments

• IMG_0141.jpg
    IMG_0141.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 75
Physics news on Phys.org
Zythryn said:
Summary:: Given an equation of geopotential of wave in a westerly flow, take derivatives to derive general expressions.

Given an equation of geopotential of wave in a westerly flow, take derivatives to derive general expressions.
Welcome to PhysicsForums. :smile:

Per the PF rules (see INFO at the top of the page), schoolwork type threads usually need to go in the Homework Help forums, and you need to show your best efforts to start working the problem. The one exception to that rule is if the problem is advanced enough and if you show lots of work in your opening post, those threads can sometimes be left in the technical forums.

Can you show your work to start on this problem? It is best if you look over the LaTeX Guide link in the lower left of the Edit window, so that you can post the equations in a legible forum to show your work. Thank you.

Likes Zythryn
berkeman said:
Welcome to PhysicsForums. :smile:

Per the PF rules (see INFO at the top of the page), schoolwork type threads usually need to go in the Homework Help forums, and you need to show your best efforts to start working the problem. The one exception to that rule is if the problem is advanced enough and if you show lots of work in your opening post, those threads can sometimes be left in the technical forums.

Can you show your work to start on this problem? It is best if you look over the LaTeX Guide link in the lower left of the Edit window, so that you can post the equations in a legible forum to show your work. Thank you.

1606866975202.png

Attachments

• q4.pdf
    250.3 KB · Views: 113
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the response, I started the problem to try to get it match what zeta is asking for. However, trying to derive the initial equation by d/dy d/dx or d/dt gets me nowhere close to what I want.

Zythryn said:
Thanks for the response, I started the problem to try to get it match what zeta is asking for. However, trying to derive the initial equation by d/dy d/dx or d/dt gets me nowhere close to what I want.
I tried to add a screenshot of your hand-written work, but it didn't come out so well. You really need to learn to use LaTeX to post your work on internet forums (and for publications later, if you go that route).

I'll go ahead and move this thread to the calculus schoolwork forum, to hopefully get you better views than in the Earth forum.

Also, can you please post the "Relevant Equations" to define some of the quantities that we probably are not familiar with in this area of science? Thanks.

1606867304827.png

Related to Rossby Wave Problem: Deriving General Expressions

1. What is the Rossby Wave Problem?

The Rossby Wave Problem is a mathematical problem that involves the study of the behavior and properties of Rossby waves. These are large-scale planetary waves that occur in the Earth's atmosphere and oceans, and are responsible for many weather patterns and ocean currents.

2. What are the general expressions used to derive the Rossby Wave Problem?

The general expressions used to derive the Rossby Wave Problem involve the use of the Coriolis force, the geostrophic balance, and the conservation of potential vorticity. These expressions are derived from the equations of motion for a rotating, stratified fluid, and are used to describe the behavior of Rossby waves.

3. How do Rossby waves affect weather patterns?

Rossby waves play a significant role in shaping weather patterns. They can cause the jet stream to meander, leading to changes in temperature and precipitation patterns. They can also influence the development and movement of storms, as well as the strength and direction of ocean currents.

4. What factors influence the behavior of Rossby waves?

The behavior of Rossby waves is influenced by several factors, including the rotation of the Earth, the density and stratification of the fluid, and the presence of boundaries such as coastlines and mountain ranges. Changes in these factors can affect the speed, direction, and amplitude of Rossby waves.

5. Why is understanding the Rossby Wave Problem important?

Understanding the Rossby Wave Problem is important for several reasons. It helps us to better predict and understand weather patterns, as well as the movement and behavior of ocean currents. It also has practical applications, such as in the design of offshore structures and in air and sea navigation.