Roller coaster friction project help

In summary, the group depends on the person and they have no idea how to begin with the problems with the roller coaster project. The average friction is .0212 N. If the spring constant is 2000 N/m, the spring will have to compress to bring the coaster to a stop. After finishing part i, part ii should be easy.
lidomonkee
I have a group depending on me.. and I have no idea where to begin with these problems... they're additional calculations connected with a rollercoaster project we're doing... our average friction is .0212 N if that is needed... someone please direct me to some solution you have no idea how much I would appreciate it..

i. if the spring constant is 2000 N/m, how far will the spring have to compress to bring the caoster to a stop? (Assume the weight of the coaster and passengers to be 45,000 N)

ii. If the spring dissipates half the available energy as heat, how far will your ride go (after released by the spring) before it stops or begins to roll foward? Don't forget friction.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do energy balances on them. For instance, in your first problem, you'll be converting the kinetic energy of the roller coaster into potential energy in the spring. If you neglect losses due to friction, then you can set the one equal to the other and solve. I presume you know how to calculate kinetic energy - there should be an equation in your book for calculating the energy stored in a spring. After dealing with kinetic energy, it will look very familiar.

Now, the problem says not to neglect friction. Fortunately, once you know what you're doing, it's relatively easy to put it back in. You'll do the same energy balance, only this time the kinetic energy of the roller coaster is going both into energy in the spring and into work done by friction. Remember the definition of work - it works with friction, too. Add in that term and you'll have a quadratic, which you can then solve.

After finishing part i, part ii should be pretty easy. Same general idea there.

Is that sufficient?

I think so.. so KE = EPE + Heat -> 1/2mv^2 = 1/2kx^2 + Ff*d

and I'm solving for x.. right?

Related to Roller coaster friction project help

1. What is friction and how does it affect roller coasters?

Friction is a force that opposes motion between two surfaces in contact with each other. In the context of roller coasters, friction can affect the speed and smoothness of the ride. Too much friction can slow down the coaster and make it feel rough, while too little friction can cause the coaster to move too quickly and potentially become dangerous.

2. How does the type of track material impact friction on a roller coaster?

The type of track material used can greatly impact the amount of friction on a roller coaster. For example, steel tracks have a smooth surface and require less lubrication to reduce friction, while wooden tracks have a rougher surface that requires more frequent lubrication. The type of wheels and bearings also play a role in the amount of friction on a roller coaster.

3. How do engineers design roller coasters to minimize friction?

Engineers use various design techniques to minimize friction on roller coasters. This can include using smooth track materials, designing curves with a larger radius to reduce sharp turns, and incorporating lubrication systems to keep the track and wheels well-oiled. Additionally, the shape and weight distribution of the roller coaster cars can also affect friction.

4. What are some common methods for testing friction on a roller coaster?

One common method for testing friction on a roller coaster is to use a friction force sensor placed on the wheels or track to measure the amount of force required to overcome friction. Another method is to use computer simulations to analyze the forces and friction on different parts of the roller coaster track.

5. What factors can affect the amount of friction on a roller coaster during operation?

Several factors can affect the amount of friction on a roller coaster during operation. These include external elements such as temperature and humidity, as well as wear and tear on the track and wheels. Changes in weight distribution and speed of the roller coaster can also impact the amount of friction experienced during a ride.