Constant Breaking force for roller coaster

In summary: How would I use the Conservation of Energy formula?If the equation is ET=1/2(mass)(Velocity squared) + (mass)(gravity)(height)Would I assume height to be zero? Or would it be 95m?EDIT: I know I would isolate Velocity Squared.In summary, the problem involves a 12000-kg roller coaster starting at rest at a height of 95m and going down a 75 degree slope before reaching a height of 0m. The ride lasts 10 seconds and brakes engage for the last 4 seconds. The questions ask for the constant braking force and work done by the brakes. The solution involves using equations for Conservation of Energy, Work, Newton's
rexorsist
I really don't understand this:

Consider a frictionless, 12000-kg roller coaster that starts at rest at the top of a hill, point A, 95 m high. It goes all the way the 75 degree steep hill and coasts horizontally (for an unspecified distance) before reaching point B (0 m high). The entire ride lasts 10 seconds and breaks engage with a constant force during last 4 seconds. Calculate:

a) the constant breaking force that must be applied to bring the roller coaster to a stop at point B.

b) the work being done by breaks to bring the roller coaster to a stop at point B.

I don't understand the question at all. The wording is weird. How would I start this? I have no clue what so ever.

Physics news on Phys.org
rexorsist said:

Consider a frictionless, 12000-kg roller coaster that starts at rest at the top of a hill, point A, 95 m high. It goes all the way (down?) the 75 degree steep hill and coasts horizontally (for an unspecified distance) before reaching point B (0 m high). The entire ride lasts 10 seconds and breaks engage with a constant force during last 4 seconds. Calculate:

a) the constant breaking force that must be applied to bring the roller coaster to a stop at point B.

b) the work being done by breaks to bring the roller coaster to a stop at point B.

I don't understand the question at all. The wording is weird. How would I start this? I have no clue what so ever.
Except for the misspelling of "brakes" and "braking", the description is quite clear.

Do you know about:

Conservation of Energy?

Work?

Newton's 2nd law?

Kinematic equations?

etc.

Likes 1 person
SammyS said:
Except for the misspelling of "brakes" and "braking", the description is quite clear.

Do you know about:

Conservation of Energy?

Work?

Newton's 2nd law?

Kinematic equations?

etc.

Yup, I know those equations.

I know that first we're going to figure out the distance down the slope. I used the sin law to figure out the length. Then I'm going to use the first kinematic equations (V2=V1+AxT , where V2 equals final velocity, V1 equals initial velocity, A equals acceleration, T equals time). Once I solve for acceleration, I would then use the Force = Mass x Acceleration formula to solve for the force required for the break.

Would I be able to find the correct answer using this method?

Thank you so much for your help!

rexorsist said:
Yup, I know those equations.

I know that first we're going to figure out the distance down the slope. I used the sin law to figure out the length. Then I'm going to use the first kinematic equations (V2=V1+AxT , where V2 equals final velocity, V1 equals initial velocity, A equals acceleration, T equals time). Once I solve for acceleration, I would then use the Force = Mass x Acceleration formula to solve for the force required for the break.

Would I be able to find the correct answer using this method?

Thank you so much for your help!
You should be able to use Conservation of Energy to find the speed of the roller coaster at the bottom of the hill, before braking.

SammyS said:
You should be able to use Conservation of Energy to find the speed of the roller coaster at the bottom of the hill, before braking.

How would I use the Conservation of Energy formula?

If the equation is ET=1/2(mass)(Velocity squared) + (mass)(gravity)(height)

Would I assume height to be zero? Or would it be 95m?

EDIT: I know I would isolate Velocity Squared.

Last edited:
Please someone! I need urgent help. I need to know how to do this before tomorrow. I am begging.

rexorsist said:

You look at the total energy at the top and at the bottom of the slope.

rexorsist said:

Consider a frictionless, 12000-kg roller coaster that starts at rest at the top of a hill, point A, 95 m high. It goes all the way the 75 degree steep hill and coasts horizontally (for an unspecified distance) before reaching point B (0 m high). The entire ride lasts 10 seconds and breaks engage with a constant force during last 4 seconds. Calculate:

rexorsist said:

EDIT: I know I would isolate Velocity Squared.
There is a starting height and an ending height.

Related to Constant Breaking force for roller coaster

What is the constant breaking force for a roller coaster?

The constant breaking force for a roller coaster varies depending on the design of the coaster and its speed. However, most roller coasters have a breaking force of around 1-2 Gs (gravitational force) to slow down and stop the train.

How is the constant breaking force determined for a roller coaster?

The constant breaking force for a roller coaster is determined through a process called "braking calculations". This involves considering factors such as the weight and speed of the train, the track layout, and the amount of friction between the train and the track to determine the appropriate amount of breaking force needed to safely slow down and stop the train.

Why is a constant breaking force important for a roller coaster?

A constant breaking force is important for a roller coaster because it ensures the safety of the riders. Without enough breaking force, the train could fail to slow down or stop at the designated points, leading to potential accidents. Additionally, a constant breaking force helps maintain a smooth and enjoyable ride experience for passengers.

How does the constant breaking force affect the overall ride experience?

The constant breaking force can greatly impact the overall ride experience for passengers. A lower breaking force may result in a more gentle ride, while a higher breaking force can create a more intense and thrilling experience. However, too much breaking force can cause discomfort or even injury to riders, so it's important for designers to carefully consider the appropriate level of breaking force for each roller coaster.

Can the constant breaking force be adjusted during a roller coaster ride?

In most cases, the constant breaking force for a roller coaster cannot be adjusted during a ride. However, some coasters may have systems in place to adjust the breaking force if necessary, such as emergency brakes or magnetic braking systems. These adjustments are typically made by trained ride operators and are only used in emergency situations.