Roller coaster friction problem?

In summary, the conversation is about the minimum coefficient of friction needed for a person to stay on a ride called the "Barrel of Fun" at an amusement park. The ride is a spinning cylinder with a vertical axis and the floor drops out once it reaches a certain speed. The formula for moment of inertia of a cylinder is mentioned and the person asks for help in finding the coefficient of friction. With some guidance, they calculate a coefficient of friction of 658.69.
bohobelle

Homework Statement

You're at the amusement park and your friend wants to go on the "Barrel of Fun," where the ride is a cylinder with a vertical axis. You stand against the wall and after the ride is spinning fast enough, the floor drops out beneath you. What is the minimum coefficient of friction necessary to keep you from falling down once the floor is gone? The ride takes two seconds per revolution.

Homework Equations

Moment of intertia of a cylinder = MR^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I honestly have no idea what I'm doing! My teacher tends to teach us one lesson in class and then give us a ridiculously complicated problem that we are not prepared to do for homework.

I think that you need to find rotational velocity and then transform that into acceleration, and then find friction from that, but I am not sure?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your thinking is correct.

voko said:
Your thinking is correct.

How would I get from acceleration to friction?

I got 658.69 as the coefficient of friction, does this seem correct?

Explain how you got that.

1. What is friction and how does it affect a roller coaster?

Friction is a force that opposes motion between two surfaces in contact. In a roller coaster, friction can impact the speed and smoothness of the ride. Too much friction can slow down the coaster, while too little friction can cause it to go off track.

2. How do engineers design roller coasters to minimize friction?

Engineers use various methods to minimize friction in roller coasters. This includes using smooth materials for the track, adding lubricants, and designing the track with curves and slopes that reduce the amount of friction.

3. What factors can affect the amount of friction in a roller coaster?

The amount of friction in a roller coaster can be affected by several factors, including the materials used for the track and wheels, the weight and speed of the train, and external forces such as wind and temperature.

4. How does friction impact the safety of a roller coaster?

Friction is an essential factor in ensuring the safety of a roller coaster. Too much friction can cause the train to stop abruptly, putting riders at risk of injury. On the other hand, too little friction can lead to the train derailing or losing control, also posing a safety hazard.

5. Can friction be completely eliminated in a roller coaster?

No, it is not possible to completely eliminate friction in a roller coaster. Friction is a natural force that is present in all surfaces in contact. However, engineers can use techniques and materials to minimize friction and create a smoother and safer ride for roller coaster enthusiasts.