Finding the Velocity of a Frictionless Roller Coaster at the Top of a Loop

• Thread starter Shahni
  • Start date
In summary, the problem is asking for the velocity of a roller coaster at the top of a loop at a popular amusement park. The roller coaster is frictionless and starts at rest, with a distance of 70m from the bottom to the very top and 30m from the bottom to the loop. The equations that can be used to solve this problem are the conservation of energy principle, Ek = 1/2m x v^2, and Eg = m x g x Delta h. The roller coaster's kinetic energy at the top of the loop will be equal to the change in potential energy, and no energy is lost in the trip from the top to the loop.
Shahni
The question is "A roller coaster at a popular amusement park has a portion of the track that is similar to the diagram provided. Assuming that the roller coaster is friction less, find its velocity at the top of the loop.

Homework Statement

Vi = 0 m/s
Vf = ?
Distance from bottom to the very top is 70m
Distance from bottom to the loop is 30m

Homework Equations

Ek = 1/2m x v^2?
Eg = m x g x Delta h?

The Attempt at a Solution

What do I have to find first in order to find the velocity?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Since there is no friction, mechanical energy is conserved. Whatever energy the coaster has at the start, it must have that same energy at the top of the loop. Try the conservation of energy principle and please show your work.

I obviously don't know what the track on the diagram looks like, but it looks like you should consider energy conservation in this instance.

Since it begins at rest the kinetic energy at the top of the loop will be the change in potential energy.

I'm assuming the coaster is at rest at the top of the 70 meter loop so the drive motor will provide just enough mechanical energy to get the coaster to the very top, then it will be released from there to continue to the loop so ask yourself what its doing at the loop before you write any equations. You are being told that no energy is lost in the trip from the top to the loop.

Related to Finding the Velocity of a Frictionless Roller Coaster at the Top of a Loop

1. How do I approach problem-solving in general?

Problem-solving typically involves breaking down a complex problem into smaller, more manageable parts. It also involves identifying and gathering relevant information, generating potential solutions, evaluating and choosing the best solution, and implementing and testing the solution.

2. What are some common strategies for problem-solving?

Some common strategies for problem-solving include trial and error, breaking the problem into smaller parts, brainstorming, using algorithms or step-by-step procedures, and seeking help or advice from others.

3. How do I determine the root cause of a problem?

To determine the root cause of a problem, it is important to ask questions and gather information about the problem. This may involve analyzing data, observing the problem in action, or conducting experiments. It can also be helpful to use tools such as root cause analysis or the 5 Whys technique to identify underlying factors contributing to the problem.

4. What are some common barriers to problem-solving?

Some common barriers to problem-solving include a lack of information or resources, biased thinking, fear of failure, and a narrow perspective. It is important to be aware of these barriers and actively work to overcome them in order to effectively solve problems.

5. How do I know if my problem-solving approach is effective?

A problem-solving approach can be considered effective if it leads to a successful resolution of the problem. This can be measured by the implementation of a solution that meets the desired outcome, as well as feedback from others involved in the problem-solving process. It is also important to reflect on the process and identify areas for improvement in future problem-solving situations.