Roller coaster friction calculations

In summary: As the roller coaster goes around the loop the friction becomes smaller and smaller so you would subtract it the whole way around the loop.In summary, the physics student is calculating the speed of a rollercoaster using the formula 0=g(h2-h1)+0.5(v2^2-v1^2)+μNdThe first two parts of the equation are fine, and μ is 0.01 and the rollercoaster has traveled a distance of 13.8m. To calculate the reaction force, the student is using trig ratios, estimating the angle off the diagram, and using -mg as the adjacent side. However, the student is stuck as they are on a 90 degree incline
thestudent101
I have a physics assignment. Part of it is to calculate the speed throughout the rollercoaster and to not exceed 4.5g's of force. Anyway, I'm calculating the speed of the rollercoaster using the formula
0=g(h2-h1)+0.5(v2^2-v1^2)+μNd
(I have already simplified to not include the mass (excluding the reaction force which will be takne out later)
the first two parts of the equation are fine, and μ is 0.01 and the rollercoaster has traveled a distance of 13.8m. To calculate the reaction force I have been using trig ratios, estimating the angle off the diagram, and using -mg as the adjacent side. I am now stuck because I'm on a 90 degree inclince. The angle between the adjacent side (-mg) and the reaction force is 90degrees so I can't use trig ratios as the angle is 90 degrees and if i swap the sides around the hypotenuse is no longer the longest side.

I was thinking that maybe friction would simply be zero
eg. assume a force of 10N if the cart is facing up on a horizontal plane, -10N if the cart is facing down on a horizontal plane. Theoretically wouldn't it be 0N halfway? But then you can't have zero friction can you?

Please help! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
I would assume zero for this part of the problem. On a vertical surface there is no friction because no force N pushing the surfaces together.

Aside: In reality roller coasters aren't simple blocks of wood sliding on a surface anyway. They have rollers to stop it lifting off the track, friction in bearings, air resistance etc but can ignore all these because they are not specified in the problem Anyway they result in a slower speed and the problem says "not exceed 4.5g". Ignoring friction helps err on the side of safety.

I suspect that thenext part of the problem has the coaster go around a curved part of the track. If the curve is in the vertical plane what must you remember to avoid a 1g error in the answer?

The coaster is already on a curve, it is just at one of the sides of it so the reaction force is 90 degrees. (I said vertical plane because it was easier to describe). We are doing instantaneous calculations so that would still mean friction is virtually zero right? And what must I do to avoid the 1g error? I've heard about it in physics, but forgot about it until now.

Now I'm calculating for the top of the loop. How do I do the friction there? Do you have g as -9.8? So you take away friction instead of adding it?

Related to Roller coaster friction calculations

1. How does friction affect the speed of a roller coaster?

Friction is a force that acts in the opposite direction of motion, causing objects to slow down. In the case of a roller coaster, friction between the wheels and the track can cause the coaster to lose speed, making it move slower than it would without friction.

2. How is friction calculated in a roller coaster?

To calculate friction in a roller coaster, the coefficient of friction between the wheels and the track must be determined. This coefficient is a measure of how much resistance there is between the two surfaces. It can be calculated by dividing the force of friction by the normal force, which is the force exerted by the track on the wheels.

3. What factors affect the amount of friction in a roller coaster?

The amount of friction in a roller coaster is affected by several factors, including the type and condition of the track and wheels, the speed of the coaster, and the weight of the train. Rough or worn track and wheels can increase friction, while smoother surfaces can reduce it.

4. How is friction minimized in a roller coaster?

To minimize friction in a roller coaster, engineers use materials and designs that reduce the amount of contact between the wheels and the track. This can include using smoother tracks and wheels, as well as adding lubricants to reduce friction. Additionally, some roller coasters are designed to use magnetic levitation or air cushions to reduce friction and increase speed.

5. Why is friction an important consideration in roller coaster design?

Friction is an important consideration in roller coaster design because it directly affects the speed and safety of the ride. Too much friction can cause the coaster to slow down too quickly, resulting in a less thrilling ride. On the other hand, too little friction can cause the coaster to move too quickly, potentially causing safety concerns. Engineers must carefully calculate and control friction in order to create a safe and exciting roller coaster experience.