Centripetal Forces and Roller Coasters

In summary, the conversation discusses the design of a roller coaster with a clothoid loop and the necessary speed and force for a comfortable ride. The equation ΞFy = Fn + Fg is used to determine the speed at the top of the loop, which is calculated to be 12.8m/s. The concept of a FBD is also discussed and how the normal force changes direction within the loop. The conversation also raises questions about the direction of forces and the difference between the inside and outside of the loop.
RoyceB
A roller coaster is designed with a clothoid loop that has a radius of 12 m at the top. For comfort, the apparent weight of a rider at the top of the loop must be 0.400 normal weight. What is the speed of the car at the top of the loop?

Fn = 0.400(Fg)
Fn = 0.400(mg)
mv2 / r = Fn + Fg (Since the Fn and the Fg face the same direction.)

3. The Attempt at a Solution

So my attempt at this was to draw a FBD, and I noticed that the Fn and the Fg face the same direction. From that I could come up with the equation ΞFy = Fn + Fg and then using things I could sub in I came up with;

mv2 / r = 0.400(mg) + mg
mv2 / 12.0m = 1.400mg
v = √((1.400mx9.81m/s2)(12.0m) / m)
v = 12.8m/s

My question along with if this is correct. Is why is there no force in the positive direction? I understand that the cart is resting on the tracks and is held in there. But shouldn't there be a force going upward? Wondering if someone could explain that and tell me if/where I went wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
You could work your way around the track to see how the normal force changes direction from level ground to traveling within the loop.
mg would always point downwards. Fn will change direction.
I don't see why you would be incorrect.

A FBD displays forces acting ONLY on the cart. - not any forces that the cart has on the track.

By the way, The question doesn't state that cart travels on the inside or outside of the loop.
Does anything change for the FBD in either case?
Would you then call force of the track on the cart the normal force or the centripetal force if on the outside?

Do one for the cart going over a hill with radius 12 m at the top.
How does the FBD look now?
Does the velocity differ?

Related to Centripetal Forces and Roller Coasters

1. What is a centripetal force?

A centripetal force is a force that acts towards the center of a circular path, keeping an object moving in a circular motion.

2. How does a roller coaster use centripetal force?

A roller coaster uses centripetal force to keep the cars moving in a circular path around the track. This force is typically created by the track itself, such as through banked turns or loops, or by the shape of the cars themselves.

3. What factors affect the amount of centripetal force on a roller coaster?

The speed of the roller coaster, the radius of the track, and the mass of the cars all affect the amount of centripetal force on a roller coaster. The faster the coaster is moving and the tighter the turns, the more centripetal force is needed to keep the cars on the track.

4. Can a roller coaster ride without centripetal force?

No, a roller coaster cannot ride without centripetal force. Without this force, the cars would continue in a straight line and fly off the track. Centripetal force is crucial for keeping the cars on the track and allowing for a thrilling and safe ride.

5. How do engineers design roller coasters to create a safe and exhilarating ride?

Engineers use mathematical equations and physics principles, including centripetal force, to design roller coasters that provide a thrilling and safe experience for riders. They carefully consider factors such as speed, track design, and car design to create a ride that is both exciting and safe.