Rods & Springs Oscillations: Frequency Calculation

• Thread starter thejinx0r
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Springs
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the frequency of small oscillations for a rod of length l and mass m, pivoted at one end and held by two springs with constant k. The equilibrium position of the springs is perpendicular to the rod and the torque equation is used to find the frequency. The method of integration with respect to theta is mentioned, but its application is uncertain due to the variable x being a function of theta. Suggested solutions include using Taylor's expansions of cosine and sine functions.
thejinx0r

Homework Statement

A rod of length l and mass m, pivoted at one end, is held by a spring at its midpoint and a spring at its far end,on both pulling in opposite directions. The springs have constant k and at equilibrium, their pull is perpendicular to the rod. Find the frequency of small oscillations.

Homework Equations

[tex] \tau = R \times F[/tex]
[tex]F=-kx[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Consider the origin to be the pivot point.

So :
[tex]\tau = R \times F [/tex]
[tex] =\frac{l}{2}\cdot (kx)cos(\theta) - l \cdot kx + l/2 \cdot cos(\theta) + mg \cdot sin(\theta)[/tex]
I am a little unsure here.
First theta is the angle between the vertical and the rod.
I am unsure because clearly when the spring in the middle is stretched by x, the one at the far end must be compressed twice as much, but I'm not sure if the factor of 2 is taken care of by the "R" for the torque or if I would have to apply it twice, once for the "R" and once for "x" from kx.

Anyways:
[tex] \tau = I \alpha [/tex]
[tex] = \frac{1}{3} M \cdot l^2 \alpha[/tex]
[tex] = \frac {1}{3} M \cdot l^2 \frac{d}{d\theta}(0.5 \omega^2)[/tex]
[tex]\tau = \frac {1}{6} M \cdot l \frac{d}{d\theta}( \omega^2) = -kxcos(\theta) + l/2mgsin(\theta)[/tex]

After that, I'm not sure what to do :S

I would integrate with respect to theta to get omega, but x is a function of theta?
And suppose that x was not, then omega^2 would be negative for certain values k and M.

Physics news on Phys.org
I didn't check your earlier work, but based on your last line: Maybe do Taylor's expansions of cos and sin? You'll have to play with how far to keep higher orders, so you get something solvable yet not trivial.

I would approach this problem by first identifying the key variables and equations involved. From the problem statement, we can see that the key variables are the length of the rod (l), its mass (m), and the spring constant (k). The key equation to use would be the equation for the period of a simple harmonic oscillator:

T = 2π √(m/k)

To apply this equation to the given scenario, we first need to determine the effective mass of the system. This would involve taking into account the mass of the rod and the mass of the springs, as well as the way in which they are connected. Once the effective mass is determined, we can plug it into the equation to calculate the period (T) of the oscillations.

To find the effective mass, we would need to consider the rotational inertia of the system, which would involve integrating the mass of the rod and the springs along the length of the rod. This would also take into account the fact that the springs are pulling in opposite directions and the rod is pivoted at one end.

After finding the effective mass, we can then plug it into the equation for the period and solve for the frequency by taking the reciprocal of the period. This would give us the frequency of the small oscillations of the rod and springs system.

In summary, as a scientist, I would approach this problem by clearly defining the key variables and equations involved, determining the effective mass of the system, and then using the equation for the period of a simple harmonic oscillator to calculate the frequency of the oscillations.

Related to Rods & Springs Oscillations: Frequency Calculation

1. What is the equation for calculating the frequency of a rod and spring oscillation?

The frequency of a rod and spring oscillation can be calculated using the equation: f = 1 / (2π)*√(k/m), where f is the frequency in hertz, k is the spring constant in newtons per meter, and m is the mass of the object in kilograms.

2. How does the length of the spring affect the frequency of the oscillation?

The length of the spring does not directly affect the frequency of the oscillation. However, it is indirectly related to the spring constant, which does affect the frequency. A shorter spring will typically have a higher spring constant, resulting in a higher frequency, while a longer spring will have a lower frequency.

3. Can the frequency of a rod and spring oscillation be changed?

Yes, the frequency of a rod and spring oscillation can be changed by altering the mass or spring constant. Increasing the mass will decrease the frequency, while increasing the spring constant will increase the frequency.

4. How does damping affect the frequency of a rod and spring oscillation?

Damping has a direct effect on the frequency of a rod and spring oscillation. As damping increases, the amplitude of the oscillation decreases, resulting in a lower frequency. This is due to the dissipation of energy by the damping force.

5. What are the practical applications of rod and spring oscillations?

Rod and spring oscillations have many practical applications, including in mechanical clocks, musical instruments, and shock absorbers. They are also used in seismology to measure the vibrations of earthquakes and in engineering to study the behavior of structures under different forces.