Rod resting on a cylinder, find mu

In summary, the author suggests a method for solving a problem involving friction where the rod touches the ground. They use a coordinate system with vertical and horizontal axes and use the reaction at A to find the friction between the rod and cylinder. They then divide the friction by the reaction at A to find the normal reaction force at point C. They suggest that the weight at point C is 83NR_C and that the vertical force at A is NR_A.
resurgance2001
Homework Statement
Please see the photo of the question below with the diagram. We have to find the coefficient of friction between the rod and plane
Relevant Equations
Moments, Components of forces, and friction = mu x reaction force.
My solution is on the files.

The basic approac was the take moments about A. Then find the reaction at C.

Use the reaction at C to find the friction between rod and cylinder.

I take it to mean from the question that the friction between the rod and plane is equal to the friction between the rod and cylinder.

So find reaction at A.

And then divide the friction by the reaction at A.

So my real question is do you agree with the approach or can you suggest a more elegant way of solving the problem. ?

Thanks
6050E1C0-A69B-4992-AAB7-2151A341CA94.jpeg
513B2131-49B6-44D6-AC26-06F4D13687A7.jpeg
437C7F12-DDF0-46A2-BFAD-3191BF37E143.jpeg
AD0D8F8F-DD69-48B5-AD9B-635263A25142.jpeg
6050E1C0-A69B-4992-AAB7-2151A341CA94.jpeg

Physics news on Phys.org
I do not agree with your method. There are additional forces ##F_x## and ##F_y## at the point where the rod touches the ground. You need to take these into account and write three equations balancing the horizontal forces, the vertical forces and the torques.
resurgance2001 said:
I take it to mean from the question that the friction between the rod and plane is equal to the friction between the rod and cylinder.
The statement "Given that friction is limiting at both A and C" does not mean that the forces of friction are equal; it means that at both A and C the rod is at the threshold of slipping.

I would use a coordinate system with vertical and horizontal axes otherwise you will go crazy trying to sort out the force of static friction where the rod meets the ground.

kuruman said:
I do not agree with your method. There are additional forces ##F_x## and ##F_y## at the point where the rod touches the ground. You need to take these into account and write three equations balancing the horizontal forces, the vertical forces and the torques.

The statement "Given that friction is limiting at both A and C" does not mean that the forces of friction are equal; it means that at both A and C the rod is at the threshold of slipping.

I would use a coordinate system with vertical and horizontal axes otherwise you will go crazy trying to sort out the force of static friction where the rod meets the ground.
Thanks. I have another answer that someone else has done. It looks like they are doing the right thing with what looks like possibly a good free body diagram. However, at the start of their answer they just seem to pull out of nowhere 1/2 NRC - I can’t see what the justification is for that equation. Are they balancing moments. The diagram looks convincing but I am not convinced it is the correct answer.

Sorry I forgot to add the file.

Attachments

• 4885FF52-86A3-48C8-92F0-B0710B42E7C5.jpeg
    4885FF52-86A3-48C8-92F0-B0710B42E7C5.jpeg
    39.8 KB · Views: 360
It looks like ##NR_C## represents the "normal reaction force at point C" which is perpendicular to the length of the rod. It has a vertical component equal to ##NR_C\cos60^o=NR_C×\frac{1}{2}##. It is needed not to balance torques but to balance the vertical forces. I have not done the problem in detail. When I do, I will let you know whether I agree with the solution you posted in #4.

On edit: My answer disagrees with the one posted in #4. I found one error and there may be more. The third equation from the bottom is supposed to be the balance equation for thr vertical forces. It reads ##NR_A+NR_C=\frac{8}{3}NR_C##. It has already been established that the weight ##W=83NR_C##. It is also correct that ##NR_A## is the vertical force at A. However ##NR_C## on the left side should be the vertical component of ##NR_C## not its magnitude. I suggest that you derive your own solution and then we can compare with mine.

Last edited:

Related to Rod resting on a cylinder, find mu

1. What is the formula for calculating the coefficient of friction (mu) in a rod resting on a cylinder?

The formula for calculating the coefficient of friction (mu) in a rod resting on a cylinder is mu = F/N, where F is the force of friction and N is the normal force.

2. How do you determine the normal force in a rod resting on a cylinder?

The normal force in a rod resting on a cylinder can be determined by multiplying the weight of the rod by the cosine of the angle between the rod and the cylinder.

3. What factors can affect the coefficient of friction in a rod resting on a cylinder?

The coefficient of friction in a rod resting on a cylinder can be affected by the surface roughness of the rod and cylinder, the materials of the rod and cylinder, and the presence of any lubricants.

4. How does the angle between the rod and cylinder impact the coefficient of friction?

The coefficient of friction increases as the angle between the rod and cylinder decreases. This is because a smaller angle means a greater normal force, which increases the force of friction.

5. Can the coefficient of friction in a rod resting on a cylinder ever be greater than 1?

No, the coefficient of friction cannot be greater than 1. This would mean that the force of friction is greater than the normal force, which is not physically possible.